Dr. Color Chip or MBenz Touch up Kit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 02:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
e350 2012
Dr. Color Chip or MBenz Touch up Kit?

Hello!

I have couple chips that i want to touch up. All of the chips are on the fenders, bumpers and hood, and they wont rust, but I still want to touch them up. There is a bigger scratch that is showing bare metal and started to rust, so I have to take care of it pretty soon.
Anyways, what touch up kits would you recommend for my Palladium Silver 2012 e350 sedan?

1) Dr. Color Chip (40$):
The Basic Paint Chip Repair Kit includes:
  • 1/2 oz Squirt Applicator of OEM Matched Paint
  • 1 oz of SealAct Blending Solution
  • 1 Ultra Paint Brush
  • 1 Nitrile Glove
  • 1 White Blending Cloth
  • Instructions and Application Tips.

2) Mercedes-Benz Genuine Paint Touch Up Pencil Palladium Silver Metallic 792/9792

Any feedback is appreciated
Old 10-27-2017, 03:08 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 Evo X Gsr, 2012 Mercedes-Benz E350 sport
Dr chip works great. I use it on rock chips on the hood of my black e350. Follow directions and maybe watch the video, it helps. You can't tell it was even there. I've done some scratches, they come out great. Deeper ones might require to do it twice to fill it out. If to bare metal then you should probably get paint shop.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
There have been posts here on this very subject and you may search them out to help move your project along. I don't have experience with the Dr. Color Chip product. I have only used the MB OEM touch up paint. I use the paper match application trick and have great success with it. The normal integrated brush that comes with all of these paint containers just blobs the paint on and it looks horrible. If you take an old paper match book and tear out a match you can use the ragged torn end as your brush. Dap that end in the paint off of the provided brush and use it to gently apply the touch up paint to your depressed chipped area. It never blobs.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:42 PM

e350 2012
Originally Posted by KEY08
There have been posts here on this very subject and you may search them out to help move your project along. I don't have experience with the Dr. Color Chip product. I have only used the MB OEM touch up paint. I use the paper match application trick and have great success with it. The normal integrated brush that comes with all of these paint containers just blobs the paint on and it looks horrible. If you take an old paper match book and tear out a match you can use the ragged torn end as your brush. Dap that end in the paint off of the provided brush and use it to gently apply the touch up paint to your depressed chipped area. It never blobs.
I actually searched them up before writing this thread. I feel more comfortable getting the MB kit just because it's from the manufacturer and the paint is probably going to be a perfect match, but I probably won't use their brush (too thick).
Dr.CC however comes with a "better kit", and more people have tried it and had great results. This is why I'm a little bit confused. If I get any paint blobs, i will sand them down using some 1200 grit or finer, then compound, then polish. I will wait for more replies to see what others have to say about their experience and preferably regarding my specific color (palladium silver metallic).

Thanks for your reply btw
Old 10-27-2017, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by KEY08
That's awesome advice. I will definitely try that next time.
The following users liked this post:
KEY08 (10-27-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Anthony199
I actually searched them up before writing this thread. I feel more comfortable getting the MB kit just because it's from the manufacturer and the paint is probably going to be a perfect match, but I probably won't use their brush (too thick).
Dr.CC however comes with a "better kit", and more people have tried it and had great results. This is why I'm a little bit confused. If I get any paint blobs, i will sand them down using some 1200 grit or finer, then compound, then polish. I will wait for more replies to see what others have to say about their experience and preferably regarding my specific color (palladium silver metallic).

Thanks for your reply btw
If you watch the video about the Dr chip, it won't blob. And their kits are custom made to your color code. You have to give it during order.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts
2012 E550 v8-Biturbo
I've used Dr. Color Chip with good results. The color match is excellent.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
I bought MB "lipstick" paint for almost all of my MB, but the color match was not good.
I also bought MB rattle can and that made big difference on touched-up bumper. Suppose silver metallic is hardest to match, but I had to paint whole bumper to hide the sprayed dots.
Than I had very good experience with paint pens. For rock chips they are unbeatable as you can put a drop of paint with high precision and even if the color is not perfect match, it is hard do notice is on miniature touch.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:45 PM

e350 2012
Thanks for all the replies guys. Sounds like both options are good in terms of the paint matching my color. I will choose either options and will take in consideration the tips you gave me (about using a thin toothpick or something similar) to prevent the blob.

Would any of you guys know if applying a coat of primer is necessary before filling in with paint? Also, would you recommend wet sanding in case of a blob or just compound the surface? I think with the smearing technique from Dr. CC i wouldnt get any blobs but just in case..
Old 10-29-2017, 11:26 AM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
W212 E550 4M P2
My $.02: get into contact with the mobile paint outfit that your dealer uses... don't learn on your car when you can have an expert touch it up better and faster for ~$150?
Old 10-29-2017, 11:29 AM

e350 2012
Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
My $.02: get into contact with the mobile paint outfit that your dealer uses... don't learn on your car when you can have an expert touch it up better and faster for ~$150?
What do you mean by "my $.02"? Also, i think you should try it on your car because you can remove the touch up paint with done laquer. If it turns out bad, which i doubt if you follow the simple instructions, you can swipe it out. Worry the try when you can save more than 100$ IMO, but up to you.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Wet sanding touch ups and polishing is not as easy at it seems.
I double the recommendation of considering professional, or do some tries on different panel, like inside the trunk.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:14 PM

e350 2012
Originally Posted by kajtek1
Wet sanding touch ups and polishing is not as easy at it seems.
I double the recommendation of considering professional, or do some tries on different panel, like inside the trunk.
+1 on trying on other panels. I will do the best of my best in adding super light costs to prevent blobs. If I do cause blobs, I will use some mineral spirits to remove the last layers of touch up paint. If I fail to do so then wet sanding would be my only option, and I might go for it. It is definitely not as easy as it seems, but very doable i think. Just use super fine grit (3000), go in straight lines in a very small 2x2 section, then polish it.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:04 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Eclass
dr. color chip works great on chips. almost invisible.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts
2012 E550 v8-Biturbo
Would any of you guys know if applying a coat of primer is necessary before filling in with paint? Also, would you recommend wet sanding in case of a blob or just compound the surface? I think with the smearing technique from Dr. CC i wouldnt get any blobs but just in case..
No need to apply primer first.

With the Dr. CC system, you won't have blob, so no need to worry about sanding afterwards.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:48 PM

e350 2012
Originally Posted by ghlkal
No need to apply primer first.

With the Dr. CC system, you won't have blob, so no need to worry about sanding afterwards.
Good to know. I ordered a kit, I will update everyone after applying the touch up paint.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:51 AM

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts
1973 280SEL 4.5; 2021 E450S4 Wagon
Good to know. I ordered a kit, I will update everyone after applying the touch up paint.
After using both types on previous MB's, I ordered and have a Palladium Silver Dr. Color Chip kit for my S212.

I trust you'll be pleased with the ease and results! I should open mine up this weekend to try as well!