E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

intake mannifold

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 02:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 2008
intake mannifold

I have a e350 4 matic 2008. the light engine came on and the dealer mentioned intake manifold.
any idea of how much it costs>??
Old 12-08-2017, 02:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,150 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
It's well covered in many other threads.

Anywhere from $100-$2000 depending on what you do. It's usually the lever that's broken. You can either buy just the lever and replace the lever which would be more in the $100 range. But it's usually a sign that you will need a new intake anyway and others warn that just replacing the lever might still eventually lead to problems where parts of the intake break off and does engine damage. Pierburg makes the OEM replacement and you can buy a new intake for around $455 which is the way to go if you're going to keep the car for a few years, you could probably find an indy mechanic who could put it in cheaper than the dealer. The dealer will probably want $2000 as the OEM MB intake is about $800 and with labor it may be pushed up to $2000.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:17 PM

Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
W203 W212 W211 R53MCS
If you have codes for the intake manifold...... Those codes will NEVER make the check engine light come on. But they are common failure on the M272 engines. The best thing you can do is replace it, because not only do they come apart on the outside, they also come apart on the inside. The check engine light had to come on due to another code. Do not waste your money on those repair kits........
The following users liked this post:
Benzenator (01-21-2021)
Old 06-12-2018, 03:47 PM
IGB

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano
Originally Posted by MBENZTECH
If you have codes for the intake manifold...... Those codes will NEVER make the check engine light come on.
Why would they not cause the CEL to come on? Isn't that the purpose of having the OBD-II system, to begin with?

I say this because they did on my car... I had a P2006 OBD-II code that kept causing my CEL to come on...

"P2006: Diagnosis of tumble flap 'Intake Manifold': Open circuit of sensor lines/Tumble flap shafts stuck in the nonactivated position" (equivalent to Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Trouble Code 0522).

And yes, I do agree with the remaining portion of your post; I ended up replacing the entire intake manifold rather than just use a kit to repair the tumble flap actuating rods. You will have to remove the intake manifold (a task that is very labor intensive) to properly replace the actuator rods... And to do so only to then most likely have to repeat a couple of months later simply because another part happened to break or fail... Might as well put in a new intake manifold (you can find OEM intakes for as low as $450-$500).

For what its worth, there are 2 additional codes that are also related to 2 more intake manifold tumble flap issues:
  • P2004: Diagnosis of tumble flap 'Intake manifold': Short circuit to ground of sensor lines / Tumble flap shafts stuck in the actuated position. (equivalent to Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Trouble Code 0521)
  • P2005: Diagnosis of tumble flap 'Intake manifold': Short or open circuit in sensor lines / Mechanical fault of one actuating lever / Sensor faulty, replace the sensor. (equivalent to Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Trouble Code 0524).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by bmatip
I have a e350 4 matic 2008. the light engine came on and the dealer mentioned intake manifold.
any idea of how much it costs>??
I would contact the dealer who did the diagnosis and ask them for a list of OBD-II codes or diagnostic trouble codes that they read from ECU... Knowing those codes would help make a more educated guess as to how much a repair job will cost.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,150 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by IGB
Why would they not cause the CEL to come on? Isn't that the purpose of having the OBD-II system, to begin with?
I believe those codes only come on after the condition exists for a certain number of cycles. It's possible to suffer poor driving performance before the light comes on.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:45 PM
IGB

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
I believe those codes only come on after the condition exists for a certain number of cycles.
Isn't that the case with most if not all OBD-II codes... First, the code is "Pending" and if the issue continues, it illuminates the CEL and stores it as a "current" code!