E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

suspension suggestions after 2 years

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 03:09 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2020 GLC 300, 2019 GLC 300, 2014 e400 Hybrid
suspension suggestions after 2 years

2 years after this car - I can't tell you how much I dislike how this car handles. Probably it's because the prior 3 cars were all BMWs.
I am not a professional driver nor do I track my car. I just drive to work and shuttle to soccer games on weekends if we happen not to take our other car (wife drives that) 2017 Audi Q7. That SUV has air suspension and ride and steers better than mine sedan.

a couple of issues I have, looking for your opinion
1. Lack of confidence when going fast when roads aren't straight. - feels like rear isn't "catching up" with the front like car will slide side ways. is that a steering issue? or springs are too soft so there is too muich body roll?
2. Lack of feedback from the road. In the bmw's you can feel every bump on the road through your steering wheel, or that's how I felt. I don't think I get any of that feedback, just a pretty loose steering wheel it seems.

So just the springs? saw a lot of H&R spring change out as I scour the forum. Or change shocks too? do coilovers?
Anyone from St. Louis and can recommend a good shop to do the work? since alignment will be needed after.

I have RW drive since hybrid doen't have 4 Matic. It has the same engine as a regular E350 V6 with an additional battery pack that adds a few more HP, and weight. But overall, think of it as a E350 RWD. It came with a sports pkg, but doesn't feel anywhere sporty.

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2017, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,499 Likes on 1,171 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Have you taken it to a shop to check for component wear? Ball joints, control arms shocks, tires etc will affect handling. Also the hybrid is pretty rare, maybe the weight of the battery pack really throws off the handling. What kind of tires did it come with? People also hate run flats, ride is horrible with those.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:27 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2020 GLC 300, 2019 GLC 300, 2014 e400 Hybrid
Nah.. that's how the car handled since day one. I thought I outgrew the "spirited driving" when i bought it. It even came with sports pkg. (though not AMG 18 wheels and tires). I had ask Koenig (sp?) to pull the built sheet, it has sports suspension.

The hybrid battery is tiny. in return, I get no spare. (I think standard car gets spare). Hybrid only gets 6 miles to the gallon better hahahahahaha. no wear and tear. only 21K so far since I owned it new.

I should say it drives and handles fine if you drive under normal condition, just following the traffic. It's only when I decide to drive it aggressively and not getting that feedback and confidence I used to have with the "other" brand...

Originally Posted by cetialpha5
Have you taken it to a shop to check for component wear? Ball joints, control arms shocks, tires etc will affect handling. Also the hybrid is pretty rare, maybe the weight of the battery pack really throws off the handling. What kind of tires did it come with? People also hate run flats, ride is horrible with those.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:47 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2011 E-350
Springs would be a good place to start. I installed Vaughan springs in my e350 and it made an appreciable difference in handeling. If you do go this route I recommend you also change the struts and shocks at the same time. Bilstein B-6 is a good choice for lowered cars. Assuming all other suspension parts are in good order your car should feel much tighter.
The following users liked this post:
lay3r3 (12-13-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
2014 E350 4M Diamond Silver
Originally Posted by lay3r3
1. Lack of confidence when going fast when roads aren't straight. - feels like rear isn't "catching up" with the front like car will slide side ways. is that a steering issue? or springs are too soft so there is too muich body roll?
2. Lack of feedback from the road. In the bmw's you can feel every bump on the road through your steering wheel, or that's how I felt. I don't think I get any of that feedback, just a pretty loose steering wheel it seems.
!
Have you checked your tires? Style, tread depth, etc..!
Old 12-14-2017, 12:37 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 E250 BT, 2021 EQC 400
Originally Posted by raja777m
Have you checked your tires? Style, tread depth, etc..!
I agree with raja...

I would try to fix your “issue” with different tires before touching the suspension. Tires can greatly affect the handling of your car. Try to find a true tire expert in your area who actually knows what they are selling and can make solid recommendations.