E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

M-B roof rack for transporting a canoe.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 01:21 PM

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
2013 E550 Sedan
M-B roof rack for transporting a canoe.

I'm looking to get a canoe for some local fishing here in Southwestern Oregon. Has anyone transported a 16' + - canoe using the OEM rack, and the necessary crossbars, and tie downs on a W212 sedan?
Old 12-13-2017, 02:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2014 E550 sedan
I don't know if it helps, but I was recently forced to install my rack to transport a 9ft christmas tree home (Unfortunately my new truck ate a deer, so that option was out the window... )
Even though I was losing my mind the whole drive, thinking it would come loose and scratch my car, I was surprised to find that it worked perfectly. It held strong through the horrible weather, and was actually very easy to get on and off. It held very firm, and since the roof is low it made getting the tree on and off, without scratching anything, a simple task. I got the tree home safe, without scratching anything, and the GF was happy we had a tree. WIN WIN lol

I'd say that overall, it could handle a much longer object without a problem. Since the canoe wouldn't be flexible and bend in the wind, I'd say you should be fine.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,742 Likes on 1,389 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
OEM racks are relabeled Thule, or other brand.
I had rack on several MB and when they can be strong, the curved roof on those cars does not allow for big spacing.
Meaning you will have 16' canoe mounted on 2-feet span. Not really steady, but doable.
What weight is your canoe? I bought 16' at Walmart and the sucker was like 90lb. I could lift it, but forget carrying to the lake.
Refunded the heavy one and found used wenonah at 45 lb.