E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

10.25 inch android headunit installed

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.

Old 04-23-2018, 05:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 benz c250
Originally Posted by Mikeki7
I had the same problem and it was the rca to aux cable, worked at first but once installed only sound from one channel. Bought a higher quality cable on amazon and everything worked great after that. This is on my 2012 cls.
Hi Mike,
Could you please share a link to where and what you specifically purchased from Amazon? This way everyone knows what to buy and perhaps Chris could start including this cable with his units he sells?

thx.

B.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:14 PM

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
CLS63, S55
I used this cable:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XKRZKC3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XKRZKC3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was longer than I needed but no big deal, have the extra length in the center storage area.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz E350 4Matic Sedan
Originally Posted by Ungarisch
I disagree on the interface, I hope they keep it as is, looking like factory instead of some android launcher, but I see some improvements that can be made.

Namely;

-Let us re-arrange the icons
-Let us hide unused icons
-Enable the ability to auto-launch one app on start
-Fix Android Auto not working with their own (Carlife-Mall) Carplay/Android dongle adapter
-Fix the stretched out aspect ratio on CarPlay
-Make the internal battery/capacitor slightly bigger so that the unit only shuts off after 5 minutes after car, instead of 15 seconds now.
-Ability to change units from metric to US/imperial
-Fix the displayed car from always being an A-Class
-Ability to put Spotify on the "Home Screen" instead of "Apps" sub-menu
-Ability to delete useless "Carlife" app from home screen
-Make CarPlay dongle charge faster than the current 400mah, currently it drains battery faster than it charges
-The unit knows when headlights are on, it should be able to auto-dim screen when it sees headlight are on, and full brightness when heads are off

These would be nice, but not necessary:

-Make Dashcam input digital (HDMI instead of RCA) since nearly all dashcams have digital outs not analog
-Sim card to accept US (T-Mobuile/AT&T) GSM LTE bands.
A couple more adds:
- Newer version of Android so we can install Android Auto
- Build in Carplay dongle hardware into the screen
- Ability to switch songs etc. using steering wheel controls within Carplay / Android Auto (screen can connect to COMAND via BT to do this. On this note, ensure that BT starts up ASAP on system boot. Now it takes at least 2-3 minutes).
- Ability to edit some of the text (e.g.: Lamplet, Handbrake Pull Up, km/h)
- Ability to see what's playing right now (within an audio app). Perhaps provide this information at the bottom of the screen....where AC information is displayed today? Or an option to pick between 'what's playing' and 'AC' in that area?
- Broadcast ID3 tags / music info to COMAND. Even 3-4 year old smartphones can send ID3 tags (song, artist, album info) to COMAND over BT. With this screen I only see "Audio Streaming" showing on my center console (and in the stock screen via FM/AM)
- Ability to turn-off automatic audio source switching. In its current form its more of a pain than a convenience.
- Make GPS more reliable. Google Maps SUCKS on this screen.
- Change whatever settings on the OS to ensure that the screen recognizes that we are in the country that the screen is currently being used in (for example - Google searches take me to Google.hk. I have also encountered night mode being turned on in Google Maps....in broad daylight, ugh!)
- Google Assistant!!!
- Finally (for now) - is there a way to create a "premium" version of this screen? With internals from this decade? The exterior of this screen is top-class. How about putting a snapdragon processor, additional memory, newer version of Android, etc. on the insides? Charge more for the "upgraded" SKU. Folks are already dropping over $600 for a screen that has the internals from a tablet made in 2012. I'm sure they wont mind paying a little more for something from 2017/18.
The following 2 users liked this post by deepthought66:
Coldfact (04-15-2019), raja777m (05-01-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 11:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
C207
Originally Posted by rahail1000
I have an issue with the 10,25" large screen for W212 from 2010. when using android, I only have voice on front left speaker. Has anyone experienced similar issue? I am using AUX MMI cable (which came along with the unit) and at one point I had voice on all speakers and without changing anything it is back to one speaker (left front) and nothing I can do to make it play on all speakers. When using OEM all speakers works.

Also, I have an issue with boot, sometime I have the black screen (with the car logo on lane) on the right side and I need to touch the screen before the Mercedes Benz startup logo starts.

Please help, thanks a lot.
Had the same problem, it's AUX cord.Very poor connection between AUX and power cord.I took off the isolation on the power cord and then I once saw that one of the wires from AUX was off.It takes some time and disassemble everything but easy fix
The following users liked this post:
Chris The Swede (04-25-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 03:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E350
Hello boys and girls,

I have a dumb question . I have a 2014 E350 on the CKM site is this what i buy

After facelift 2011b-2014
After facelift 2011b-2014
603 USD603 USD
Old 05-01-2018, 03:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 210 Likes on 156 Posts
W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
Are you even looking at w212???? It does not give you that options on W212.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:53 AM

2014 E350
Originally Posted by Chris The Swede
Are you even looking at w212???? It does not give you that options on W212.
I FOUND IT THANKS Chris ...

Last edited by ninjatech1969; 05-01-2018 at 03:56 AM.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:37 AM

E250
Hi All,
Juat managed to install a similar unit and all’s working fine except GPS. For some strange reason, it is not picking up any satellites (I was outdoor with clear skies). I download GPS Status app and Topntp to attempt to reset the gps but still no joy

i tested with 2 gps antenna and can confirm that the gps tool are able to detect the gps sensor were active.

I also downloaded Waze from App Store and tested Google maps and both are not working.

Anyone had similar experiences and suggestion

Last edited by Eric Hyh; 05-03-2018 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 E550
I have been looking into purchasing one of these for my w212, but had a few questions that I could not seem to find answers from other posts:

1. Mirroring. It apparently works well with iPhone. Has anyone been able to get any android phone to mirror?

2. Fahrenheit. Has anyone been able to update (or hack) the unit to show Fahrenheit and MPH? Other labels (e.g. lamplet open, etc.)?

3a. 360 camera. It appears to supports aftermarket reverse or 360 cameras. Has anyone actually tried this successfully?

3b. Camera trigger. Many aftermarket camera/dvr setups have a camera trigger wire that will change the output view (e.g. turn signal or putting the vehicle in reverse) of the “head unit” (in this case, the screen itself would be the “head unit” switching to the camera input). This unit is already switching the screen for the stock camera for reverse, but is there a wire labeled to trigger this for aftermarket cameras? Or does someone know which wire/pin in the screen harness is doing this so I can tap it for this function?

4. New Version. Above posts imply a new improved version may be imminent. Does it address any of the above? Do we have an ETA?
Old 05-09-2018, 10:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 SLK250
Hello all, I have posted an in depth video review of this head unit for the R172 (SLK) on my YouTube channel. The reason I posted this review is because after a month of having the unit I realized that it has a significant amount of problems that other reviewers on YouTube have not mentioned or discussed.

This isn't a horrible unit but it does have it's flaws and limitations so please check this out BEFORE you purchase. I hope this helps!

BTW: There is a newer version of this unit that should be released soon, I imagine it will resolve the problems with this one. Once that one is released I will review that one on m channel as well.

Last edited by DColon614; 05-09-2018 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:35 PM

2015 SLK250
Originally Posted by AfterMarket
I have been looking into purchasing one of these for my w212, but had a few questions that I could not seem to find answers from other posts:

1. Mirroring. It apparently works well with iPhone. Has anyone been able to get any android phone to mirror?

2. Fahrenheit. Has anyone been able to update (or hack) the unit to show Fahrenheit and MPH? Other labels (e.g. lamplet open, etc.)?

3a. 360 camera. It appears to supports aftermarket reverse or 360 cameras. Has anyone actually tried this successfully?

3b. Camera trigger. Many aftermarket camera/dvr setups have a camera trigger wire that will change the output view (e.g. turn signal or putting the vehicle in reverse) of the “head unit” (in this case, the screen itself would be the “head unit” switching to the camera input). This unit is already switching the screen for the stock camera for reverse, but is there a wire labeled to trigger this for aftermarket cameras? Or does someone know which wire/pin in the screen harness is doing this so I can tap it for this function?

4. New Version. Above posts imply a new improved version may be imminent. Does it address any of the above? Do we have an ETA?
I have an aftermarket 360 camera connected to mine, please see my YouTube video on it:

I also have a review on the unit itself:
Old 05-09-2018, 10:37 PM

2015 SLK250
Originally Posted by Eric Hyh
Hi All,
Juat managed to install a similar unit and all’s working fine except GPS. For some strange reason, it is not picking up any satellites (I was outdoor with clear skies). I download GPS Status app and Topntp to attempt to reset the gps but still no joy

i tested with 2 gps antenna and can confirm that the gps tool are able to detect the gps sensor were active.

I also downloaded Waze from App Store and tested Google maps and both are not working.

Make sure your GPS antenna is on the dash with a clear view of the sky. When I installed mine I had heard online that it could be tucked away and that is not true.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:58 PM

2015 SLK250
Originally Posted by Heisenberg5070
I purchased a video interface from eBay. Purchased an Apple tv3 and also got a modded power supply for it so that it works off of usb power. I can send you all the details later on.
I actually did the same thing but I had the AppleTv modded so it would get power via HDMI

So were you able to use the video interface in conjunction with the new screen? I don't plan on reconnecting my AppleTV to it but I would like to connect my 360 surround view camera system via HDMI rather than RCA.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:16 PM

2013 E550

David,
Thanks for the responses. It is great to see the 360 camera attached to one of these screens in action. I also appreciate your candid review of the good and the bad. It would appear that the answers are:

1. No one has been able to get android to mirror; only iPhone.

2. Metric units cannot be hacked to Imperial. The other labels are also set and no one has been able to update/hack them to read better.

3a. Awesome to see that this actually works and looks good full screen. It will look a little different on the 10.25 screen due to the aspect ratio. Your 9” screen has a more traditional ratio. Would love to see what is on the edges of the 10.25 – probably just black screen (or maybe it can be stretched to fit, but probably would not look good).

3b. I was unable to see this in action in your videos. It was good to see that you could switch to Camera view and the 360 camera was functional. The camera system that you had was triggering views when you used your turn signals and reverse. You could also switch views with the remote.

However, I did not see the *Android* screen switch with these triggers on your videos. For example, if you are using Google maps on the screen and you put the car in reverse – does the screen switch to your 360 camera view? If you are using Google Maps (driving down the road) and you use your turn signal - does the Android screen switch to your 360 camera?

4. Because of the negatives you mentioned in your video, I will probably wait for the new version to see if it addresses 1 & 2. Let’s hope that it won’t be a long wait! I am still interested in whether 3b works in the current version (with the assumption that if it works now, it will work in the new version).

Thanks again for your responses/videos!

Last edited by AfterMarket; 05-11-2018 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts
2010 c300
Originally Posted by Eric Hyh
Hi All,

On Google maps, can you try pressing the location button. Right above the "Go" button. It should turn blue.

Lastly, on the screen, make sure you have the antenna plugged into the left side connector if facing the screen.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
CLS550, BMW 550
4. Because of the negatives you mentioned in your video, I will probably wait for the new version to see if it addresses 1 & 2. Let’s hope that it won’t be a long wait! I am still interested in whether 3b works in the current version (with the assumption that if it works now, it will work in the new version).

Thanks again for your responses/videos!
Per Chris_the_Swede: The new version should be available in about a week and a half from today but it will be more expensive. These are already too expensive for a simple screen, might just not be cost effective anymore.

CKMCardesign New version in about 2 weeks with Android 6 and bigger HW. Very good review..

CKMCardesign 4 days ago (edited)
Agree totaly.. And damn expensive as well and now they want to raise the damn price. These are very Specific and not massproduced like other normal 2 din units are so more expensive to make though.And the only ones that truly integrates with the car system..It will be 2+32+android6. Android 7 is stopped by overseas google market somehow.. On the other hand most are happy with that old one anyway..

Last edited by Gee_115; 05-11-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:51 PM

2013 E550
Thanks for the tip, Gee!

If i were a betting man... I would say that this is probably the hardware that is coming (just instead of Audi, they have customized it for Mercedes):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10-2...828876446.html
https://rsnav.com/products/10-25-and...symphony-radio

Note this link:
https://rsnav.com/products/screen-mirroring-app-license
"Please purchase this license if you want a Smartphone Screen Mirroring (Miracast, AirPlay) software on your RS Brand Android GPS devices (Do not work with original Audi navigation systems).
**This license cannot be applied to already shipped devices. We need to install the license file and it's hard to do the license activation over the internet. ** "

I wonder if this is why the mirroring has not worked on Android for the current version?
Old 05-12-2018, 02:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
Originally Posted by Gee_115
Per Chris_the_Swede: The new version should be available in about a week and a half from today but it will be more expensive. These are already too expensive for a simple screen, might just not be cost effective anymore.

CKMCardesign New version in about 2 weeks with Android 6 and bigger HW. Very good review..

CKMCardesign 4 days ago (edited)
Agree totaly.. And damn expensive as well and now they want to raise the damn price. These are very Specific and not massproduced like other normal 2 din units are so more expensive to make though.And the only ones that truly integrates with the car system..It will be 2+32+android6. Android 7 is stopped by overseas google market somehow.. On the other hand most are happy with that old one anyway..
Corect... We are tesing it right now. Hopefully the new sw is all good and new unit ready to ship end of this month.
Old 05-12-2018, 05:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
CLS550, BMW 550
Thanks for the tip, Gee!

If i were a betting man... I would say that this is probably the hardware that is coming (just instead of Audi, they have customized it for Mercedes):

Note this link:
"Please purchase this license if you want a Smartphone Screen Mirroring (Miracast, AirPlay) software on your RS Brand Android GPS devices (Do not work with original Audi navigation systems).
**This license cannot be applied to already shipped devices. We need to install the license file and it's hard to do the license activation over the internet. ** "

I wonder if this is why the mirroring has not worked on Android for the current version?

I suspect you may be correct. If that's the case I don't see why it should cost more, should be the same price as the Audi. I was hoping for at least a 4G ram.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
Thanks for the tip, Gee!

Note this link:

NO its not...Its a totaly new model and NO darn big android boxes to hide...
Old 05-13-2018, 06:42 AM

2015 SLK250
What concerns me about purchasing the new screen is the lack of updates for the current screen. The mounting brackets and screen for the SLK were just released a little over a month ago and now there's a new one coming out? It really makes me wonder if this will be a similar situation where there are promises of updates but nothing happens.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C300 4MATIC SPORT
Originally Posted by DColon614
What concerns me about purchasing the new screen is the lack of updates for the current screen. The mounting brackets and screen for the SLK were just released a little over a month ago and now there's a new one coming out? It really makes me wonder if this will be a similar situation where there are promises of updates but nothing happens.
My thoughts exactly, and why I will not be buying the new unit especially if it is more expensive. The current unit is already way too expensive. 90% of issues plaguing this unit is software related and can easily be fixed via updates. There is no monetary incentive for the manufacturers in China to 'work' on updates when they could be selling new units with supposedly new features. The only hope is for the modding community to come up with mods that could somehow fix some of the current problems and improve functionality.. The unit is built to tightly integrate with our vehicles, and unfortunately the modding community base of people with resources to tinker with these units is very low. The hardware itself is really not bad, we just need a way to breath new life into it through better software.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
Originally Posted by DColon614
Well thats not corect anywhere...The units been on the market for like 6 months and we had many updates for it during this time as promised. Many thins have been bettered..Not all of course. Its just the bracket for SLK thast is new and that one is for the new screen as well. And trhe new one is the 1025..Not the 9. That has no new one yet.

Last edited by Chris The Swede; 05-13-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 Mercedes Benz E350
Guys, the rattling on my unit is driving me crazy. Anybody have any solutions for this? I Gets. Lot of loud vibrations driving over normal
city streets.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
OK?? I have both units and never had a rattle...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.

Quick Reply: 10.25 inch android headunit installed