E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

10.25 inch android headunit installed

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes GLA45 AMG
V1 Vs V2 packaging differences ???

1. My V1 came with an external speaker for phone calls. So I was told by Chris and never used the Android phone App to confirm. I don't see the speaker mentioned with the V2 package. Can one of you with a V2 unit tell me if the Phone plays through the car's speakers? Or, does the display have a built in speaker?

2. V1 display came with a WiFi antenna that was only used for the Chinese market. Didn't have any reception issues without it. I see the new unit has 2 WiFi Antennas. Are they needed?
Old 08-09-2018, 01:34 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
2011 W212
1. Not sure, have not tried making calls through the V2 BT (but there was a speaker in my kit too).

2. There are 3 ports on the back of the V2, 2 for included wifi antennas and 1 for included GPS antenna. I connected all of them and stuffed them under the dash, behind the mount.

Last edited by Skeechan; 08-09-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:49 PM

Mercedes GLA45 AMG
Originally Posted by Skeechan
1. Not sure, have not tried making calls through the V2 BT (but there was a speaker in my kit too).

2. There are 3 ports on the back of the V2, 2 for included wifi antennas and 1 for included GPS antenna. I connected all of them and stuffed them under the dash, behind the mount.
OK, Thanks.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:59 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2012 E63 AMG Wagon
Any other option for Internet than WiFi tethering? I have tried USB tethering my Galaxy S8 to the V2 and it is not working. My Galaxy S8 reports tethered but the screen has no connectivity. And the build in SIM supposedly doesn't work outside of mainland China for some reason.

I am trying to set up an automated Internet connectivity when the car starts. Right now I have to manually turn on wifi tethering on my phone every time I get in. Wifi tethering works great, just trying to find a workaround for the manual connection every time. Anyone have a work around for avoiding the manual (turning it on, on the phone every time) tethering?
Try this out: Hot Spot Starter...seems to work for me on Android 8.1: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.thjunge11.autohotspot&hl=en_US

There's a free version available but it disables some cool features such as:
- Start selected Apps with the hot spot (basically means, start specific apps like radar warners everytime you enter your car and bluetooth connects to the handsfree unit)
- Several setup options like shutdown bluetooth at disconnect, select specific bluetooth devices only

Besides, the full version is like $1.00

Last edited by amgggg...; 08-10-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:06 PM

2011 W212
I just paid the buck and will give it a shot. Looks like it should work fine with my S8.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:40 PM

2011 W212
Originally Posted by amgggg...
Try this out: Hot Spot Starter...seems to work for me on Android 8.1: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tspot&hl=en_US

There's a free version available but it disables some cool features such as:
- Start selected Apps with the hot spot (basically means, start specific apps like radar warners everytime you enter your car and bluetooth connects to the handsfree unit)
- Several setup options like shutdown bluetooth at disconnect, select specific bluetooth devices only

Besides, the full version is like $1.00

Didn’t work for me with 8.0.0. The app pop up notification says hotspot started but it never does. No other permissions to turn on.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:18 PM

2011 W212
Originally Posted by dineshh
OK, Thanks.
Made my call today and the unit used the build in mic and the car's speakers just fine, but I had to mess with the screen setting to make it work and it seems per call. On the right side there is an icon that looks like a tablet and I had to fiddle with it (talking about an icon in the BT phone app on the screen, the icon to the right of APPS) a few times to switch from phone to the car even though on the phone it was showing call-audio-mic send-receive via the BT.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:52 PM

Mercedes GLA45 AMG
Made my call today and the unit used the build in mic and the car's speakers just fine, but I had to mess with the screen setting to make it work and it seems per call. On the right side there is an icon that looks like a tablet and I had to fiddle with it (talking about an icon in the BT phone app on the screen, the icon to the right of APPS) a few times to switch from phone to the car even though on the phone it was showing call-audio-mic send-receive via the BT.
Thanks for the update on Android calling.
My V2 unit will be shipped at the end of the week. I'm sure all the fun will start then. The major problem I see with my car is to get the wiring harness to go under the Command unit. Not much room there.
Did manage to get more info regarding the two Antennas. They are cellular not WiFi. These are the Bands for 4G LTE with the V2 Sim slot:
B1 B3 B7 B9 B19 B40 and B41. T-Mobile uses B1. Worth putting a SIM in to see if it works?
Old 08-14-2018, 05:14 PM

2011 W212
TMo USA doesn't use B1, according to TMo Those bands in the V2 are all Asia-centric bands not used in North America.

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-4988

As for the antennas, it sure looks to me like 1 GPS 2 WiFi and the included antennas, generic WiFi antennas. Websites that show pictures of the components, also identify those antennas and being ext Wifi antennas. The mobile antenna is internal.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:11 PM

Mercedes GLA45 AMG
The document I read this morning said it did. according to the T-Mo link, looks like we are out of luck. The bottom line is, we don't need the two Antennas or the speaker connected then.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:32 PM

2011 W212
I did the WiFi antennas just because it was easy and I have 150Mb service with T-Mobile, but not the speaker.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 AMG E63 S
Very dim factory image from the 10.25 display

Hello all,

I have finished up installing the 10.25 Android display screen. So far everything seems to work relatively well and as expected.
One major item I have noticed is that my factory COMAND system when displayed on the 10.25 screen, everything from system settings to the 360 panoramic view, to the backup camera are extremely dim. It is so dim that the backup camera is unusable in the daytime.
Are there cables like the AB and A cables that might need to get swapped around? All of the settings within COMAND have the brightness settings to maximum, the regular 10.25 display is bright, vivid and works great.

Any ideas?
Old 08-14-2018, 10:25 PM

2011 W212
You probably need to change the display mode. Default is 2 but some needed to change it to 4. It is mentioned earlier in the thread.

Actually I think it is called Screen Parameters and it is in the car setup menu to the right of apps, bluetooth, etc but left of driving computer (if memory serves). It might be a hidden menu item.

Last edited by Skeechan; 08-14-2018 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:12 PM

Mercedes GLA45 AMG
I did the WiFi antennas just because it was easy and I have 150Mb service with T-Mobile, but not the speaker.
Since, you had no issues with Android calling, the speaker may be another item we can leave off. I'm trying to avoid anything extra as on my GLA, I'm very limited to extra space.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:00 PM

2014 AMG E63 S
You probably need to change the display mode. Default is 2 but some needed to change it to 4. It is mentioned earlier in the thread.

Actually I think it is called Screen Parameters and it is in the car setup menu to the right of apps, bluetooth, etc but left of driving computer (if memory serves). It might be a hidden menu item.
Thanks Skeechan, so far as you can tell my AB and A connectors are likely correct since my native 10.25 resolution and screen brightness is great?

I'll update once i try various different screen settings as suggested. I believe i saw those settings under the 'hidden'/restricted settings in the past.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:33 PM

2011 W212
Then I would check Car Settings, in the main screen car setting app to the right of apps. I looked today and it was called screen resolution on V2. If it is in the hidden menu, you get the hidden menu by pressing an holding the first selection in the car settings screen. Then while holding it, you will see 2 other menu options appear. There you get the backup camera type, how your AUX inputs are setup, etc. In there is the screen resolution setting. The only way to know which is best is to just try all the settings. The default was 2 and it turned out for my NTG4 unit, 2 was best. But choosing other items did give me ill-effects like dimming of the comand screen, fuzzyness, screen being too big or small for the window or just black (no comand appearing at all). The AB-A or B for me was about the comand dial controlling stuff. Since you said that works fine, then your setup is fine and you just get into that hidden menu and try changing 2 or 4 or something.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:50 PM

C63 AMG (2008)
Anyone upgraded from the v1 to the v2 here? Is the existing harness reusable or am I going to have to tear the old stuff out?
Old 08-16-2018, 12:18 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2014 E350 station wagon gasoline
Originally Posted by dineshh
Thanks for the update on Android calling.
My V2 unit will be shipped at the end of the week. I'm sure all the fun will start then. The major problem I see with my car is to get the wiring harness to go under the Command unit. Not much room there.
I am not sure about the GLA but on the W212, E-class if you remove the glove box there is a lot of room there to put the cables in.
At least that's what a poster stated a couple of pages back, might wanna take a look..
Old 08-16-2018, 01:35 AM

2014 AMG E63 S
AMG Boot Logo

I was wondering if any of you that have the 10.25 head unit would be able to post the animated AMG Boot Logo?

I've contacted all of the sources I purchased the unit from but no responses. (Cue the sadness music)

On the same topic, have you guys seen any other amazing boot screen or customizations to the 10.25 screen?
Old 08-16-2018, 01:38 AM

2014 AMG E63 S
Then I would check Car Settings, in the main screen car setting app to the right of apps. I looked today and it was called screen resolution on V2. If it is in the hidden menu, you get the hidden menu by pressing an holding the first selection in the car settings screen. Then while holding it, you will see 2 other menu options appear. There you get the backup camera type, how your AUX inputs are setup, etc. In there is the screen resolution setting. The only way to know which is best is to just try all the settings. The default was 2 and it turned out for my NTG4 unit, 2 was best. But choosing other items did give me ill-effects like dimming of the comand screen, fuzzyness, screen being too big or small for the window or just black (no comand appearing at all). The AB-A or B for me was about the comand dial controlling stuff. Since you said that works fine, then your setup is fine and you just get into that hidden menu and try changing 2 or 4 or something.
I can confirm on a w212 2014 AMG E63 S that channel 2 works freakin' amazing. I can now use my 360 panoramic camera again, it's like a new car.

The next project is to see if it is possible to record 360 cam cam footage. I am going to try installing some cam software on the 10.25 screen that records everything displayed on the Android.

In theory if I make the 360 cam full screen and record everything displayed on the Android in theory we should have ghetto recording. TBD still though.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:12 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC X253
Originally Posted by t895zx
I was wondering if any of you that have the 10.25 head unit would be able to post the animated AMG Boot Logo?
It seems to be the animation from 0:15 to 0:38 in this YouTube video:
Btw you'd see it only when the car hasn't been started recently.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:38 AM

2011 W212
I have tried accessing the PW protected menus, like boot screen selection, but none of the passwords in this thread have worked for me on my V2. I am looking forward to a V3. I saw an android setup for the 211 cars running 8.1 and they have way more features like split screen support. Split screen is one features I wish the V2 had. Its aspect ratio would be perfect for it. OLED would be nice too, but it would triple the price.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:34 AM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
Audi BMW Ferrari MB & RR
Any issues with Sirius/XM or Traffic & Weather updates? Have they found a solution for MPH displays instead of KM?
Old 08-16-2018, 09:46 AM

2011 W212
Comand is left fully intact with this setup. V2 has MPH support. Temp also has Fahrenheit support although it is still sampling in integer C so the F displays in the V2 are always non-integer, EG 82.4F instead of just 82F.

As for satellite, I just switched to the SiriusXM app and for navi use Waze. Of course this requires tethering to a phone. Tethering opens up a whole world. When I am in the USA, I run Twitch for Bubba the Love Sponge during my morning commute (but there is SiriusXM app, iHeartradio Auto, Pandora, Spotify, Apple Music, Youtube, Youtube Music, even Hulu works).

Last edited by Skeechan; 08-16-2018 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Added my setup
Old 08-16-2018, 11:16 PM

2014 AMG E63 S
Originally Posted by Sly_North
It seems to be the animation from 0:15 to 0:38 in this YouTube video: https://youtu.be/SYQGbnDzc9M?t=17
Btw you'd see it only when the car hasn't been started recently.
I'm more so looking to acquire the actual bootlogo.zip that has the AMG logo. My unit shipped with the just Mercedes, BMW, Cadillac, etc. logos but no AMG.

I would like to download the AMG bootlogo.zip copy it to a usb stick, and attach it to my unit and then proceed to change the logo. Does anyone have a copy of the bootlogo for AMG or other cool logos?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.

Quick Reply: 10.25 inch android headunit installed