E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

10.25 inch android headunit installed

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.

Old 02-23-2021, 11:37 PM

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
'22 GLE 350 | '15 ML250 | '87 560SL | '19 GLC 300 | '12 C250 (sold) | '02 ML500 | '98 C230
Originally Posted by Palom0
Anyone knows how to make the Android HU connect to two phones simultaneously via Bluetooth?
The MB OEM unit allows to do that so the passenger's phone can be streaming music but if a phone call comes in into the driver's phone, the audio switches to that one for the call. I want that when connected to the Android Screen as well
Can't do it.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 GLK300
Making it easy

Hi,
My Android 10.25" works fine, however I cannot get my iPhone to connect automatically to the screen. I have to go to the "Phone" icon and wait for a connection every time. Any idea how to make it so this is done automatically when I switch on?
I want also for CarPlay to auto run when the car is turned on as well. But no luck there as well, I have to go to Android Apps > ZLink to make it happen.
It is a hassle to do all this every time.

I have:
- BT and WiFi is always on
- I have removed all other BT connections on my phone
- I have made sure ZLink is checked in the Factory settings

My Screen:
Road Top 10.25: Snapdragon 625 with Android 10
MCU: 615085dFY-N4.5-G-DC-201105
App Ker: Ksw-Q-Userdebug_OS_v2.3.6

Thx.

Last edited by Palom0; 02-24-2021 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:50 AM

Received 106 Likes on 73 Posts
W222, W221, W218, W211
App called Tasker...
if this is a matter of turning something ON (Zlink?) and then executing specific sequence of clicks - then this should do it... (just suggesting, as I myself work with wired AA, so I simply plug in the phone and the whole magic happens automatically).
The following users liked this post:
McGrory (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 10:04 PM

2014 GLK300
Even better solution, I got an update fro RoadTop today (v2.6.8) and now the BT and CarPaly autostart every time I turn on the car.
Old 02-27-2021, 12:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 MB E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by mdzukunft
TWO MONTH UPDATE:

The V3 unit has crashed three times on its own, usually with car start-up. It starts doing the following:

Then deletes the contents of the entire unit, reboots and shows this:

Then when I try to access the CarPlay adapter, I get this:

I discussed with CarLife who gave me the file for CarPlay which gets the dongle/adapter working again, but it forces me to re-install all my apps on the unit over and over. Moreover, it wipes all settings including the boot-up logos and my car information. I've tried reaching out to both CKM and CarLife re: the issue but to not avail. Has anyone else been experiencing these issues? This is NOT the experience for which I paid. Very very buggy.

My device settings are as follows:

Hey MDZUKUNFT
I've seen your install photos and admire clean setup of plugs in the armrest.
I just bought V3 unit (Android 10)... and just today seen your post about unit crashing... did you solve the issue and how?
Did they send you any firmware updates to install?
Old 03-03-2021, 12:55 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
2014 E63 AMG
I have the dmp screen and android ten, is there anyway to have CarPlay work over the usb connection? Music is choppy over the wifi/BT setting.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:08 PM

2014 GLK300
Not sure about DMP, but the RoadTop equivalent can't do it.
I don't have a problem with WiFi CarPlay, but I asked them about using USB anyway since WiFi drains the battery faster and is an issue for long trips and they told me:
"...ZLink only supports wireless connection. If you want to use wired CarPlay you have to add a dongle to the screen..."
So, bummer. Would be nice to have both options.
Alternative: move to Android
Old 03-05-2021, 03:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 E350 Coupe
@Draz, did CarLife help you out? I just ended up not installing a lot of apps because I tired VERY quickly of that non-sense. The whole point of the screen - for me, at least - was to use Apple CarPlay. I do use JetAudio+ and VLC on the screen for my cache of audio/books and film/TV. And then just the usual Google stuff. But without LTE the rest is kinda pointless.

Also, I had to re-do my install. Figured out a cleaner way of installing the cables through the center console. Also added a USB microphone (routed from A-pillar through the dash to the center console) and a USB hub to the center console. I updated my original install post with new pictures. Hope it is helpful for you.

To everybody else...

Over the last few months, I've noticed a complete drop-out of the L-side speakers of my E350 coupe that happens intermittently - mainly with closing the door or tight turns or hard braking. For those that know, the coupe is a PITA with install because of the lack of clearance on the harness that comes with the android screen and there isn't a lot of room to push away/down cables in the very small cubby hole (see my previous install posts). I finally got around to it yesterday...

I panicked and thought it might be the fiber optic cable but tested the CD/DVD player which worked fine. Then reason took over and I figured it was a loose connection since when it is on, the L side is crystal clear with no noticeable degradation in signal. After disassembling the center console and unplugging the USB extender cables, the issue was replicated (damn) and so I took apart the screen and COMAND. Checked all the cables. Fiber optic with no bends or cracks. All the other cables seated appropriately on inspection. Took out COMAND and looked over the OEM and CarLife/CKM harness. Ah ha! It appears the plastic "lock" on the CarLife/CKM harness was too weak to hold a tight fit and the adapters had come apart slightly. Pushed them back together and wrapped them up with electrical tape to try to keep them from pulling apart again. Re-install (as always) remained a PITA.

Just something to put out there in case any of you have a similar issue. Really wish CarLife would provide more slack in their harnesses and use harder plastic or an improved locking mechanism. (No, I haven't emailed Chris from CKM about the issue as I'm already out of warranty.) ETA: Turns out the CarLife harness is bad. The L side audio dropouts was the first sign. Now it won't pass power or signal to the multi-media knob on the center console (Performed extensive testing as I first thought the knob was broken or its cable got kinked/broken. When I took the CarLife harness out of the equation, the multi-media knob worked just fine.) Emailed CKM and Rock to inquire re: a new harness.

Has anyone used the new wireless Apple CarPlay adapter? (I'm using what appears to be a de-badged Carlinkit CPC200-CMAP I bought from CKM). I saw a version on Alibaba but it looked to have the same harness as the Android head unit and I thought there was NO WAY IN HELL that could fit in the E350. Or is it a USB dongle like the original (eg
Amazon Amazon
CKM has one for USD $120 but the Carlinkit version is only USD $70. I'm assuming Chris is still using the same dongles. Anyone have experience on these newer units? ETA: The new Carlinkit works great. A little slow on booting up but works as marketed.

Cheers!

Last edited by mdzukunft; 03-16-2021 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-05-2021, 03:22 PM

2013 E350 Coupe
Ignore. Sent as PM to a user with question on page 60.

Last edited by mdzukunft; 03-05-2021 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W212
Hi! Does anyone use the 2GB Ram&Quad-Core version?
Enough for everyday use, or should I choose 4GB of RAM instead?
There is also a built-in Carplay, which I like separately.
thanks for the help in advance
Old 03-08-2021, 07:32 AM

W222, W221, W218, W211
@Jeas, these 2GB units are not capable of running android 10, meaning they are running some proprietary version of android 8 or 9 with zero community support... strongly encouraging you to have a look at 4GB versions (with snapdragon 625 cpu)
Old 03-09-2021, 05:54 PM

B class w246
Hello,
I have a 10.25inch Android Road Top, what are these settings for in the factory menu ?
Collect Can Bus Data
Can 1
Can 2
Sterring wheel track selection
Track 1
Track 2
Knob Type
Knob A
Knob B

Last edited by Matamboy; 03-09-2021 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-10-2021, 05:18 PM

2013 E350 Coupe
So I bought a USB unidirectional microphone for the screen. (The OEM sits too low compared to my height of 6'4" and the mic on the screen sucks.)

Is there a way that you set the preferred voice input on the screen? Is there an app to download that would do this?

Any help would be appreciated.

ETA: So it will not work with a USB mic. Tried various tests and software. Checked with Rock with CarLife. No go. Per the Facebook forums, you *can* open the unit and solder in a new microphone connection (with a cable running out the back terminating in a female 3.5 mm port) and then hook up whatever 3.5 mm mic you want. But that sounds crazy. Maybe one day the manufacturers will start paying more attention to audio for phone calls given these are widely used for CarPlay functionality. That onboard mic sucks!

Last edited by mdzukunft; 03-17-2021 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-11-2021, 12:15 PM

W222, W221, W218, W211
. deleted (just realized I'm in 212 thread, not 221 :P) sorry.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:39 AM

2012 MB E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by mdzukunft
@Draz, did CarLife help you out? I just ended up not installing a lot of apps because I tired VERY quickly of that non-sense. The whole point of the screen - for me, at least - was to use Apple CarPlay. I do use JetAudio+ and VLC on the screen for my cache of audio/books and film/TV. And then just the usual Google stuff. But without LTE the rest is kinda pointless.

Also, I had to re-do my install. Figured out a cleaner way of installing the cables through the center console. Also added a USB microphone (routed from A-pillar through the dash to the center console) and a USB hub to the center console. I updated my original install post with new pictures. Hope it is helpful for you.

To everybody else...

Over the last few months, I've noticed a complete drop-out of the L-side speakers of my E350 coupe that happens intermittently - mainly with closing the door or tight turns or hard braking. For those that know, the coupe is a PITA with install because of the lack of clearance on the harness that comes with the android screen and there isn't a lot of room to push away/down cables in the very small cubby hole (see my previous install posts). I finally got around to it yesterday...

I panicked and thought it might be the fiber optic cable but tested the CD/DVD player which worked fine. Then reason took over and I figured it was a loose connection since when it is on, the L side is crystal clear with no noticeable degradation in signal. After disassembling the center console and unplugging the USB extender cables, the issue was replicated (damn) and so I took apart the screen and COMAND. Checked all the cables. Fiber optic with no bends or cracks. All the other cables seated appropriately on inspection. Took out COMAND and looked over the OEM and CarLife/CKM harness. Ah ha! It appears the plastic "lock" on the CarLife/CKM harness was too weak to hold a tight fit and the adapters had come apart slightly. Pushed them back together and wrapped them up with electrical tape to try to keep them from pulling apart again. Re-install (as always) remained a PITA.

Just something to put out there in case any of you have a similar issue. Really wish CarLife would provide more slack in their harnesses and use harder plastic or an improved locking mechanism. (No, I haven't emailed Chris from CKM about the issue as I'm already out of warranty.) ETA: Turns out the CarLife harness is bad. The L side audio dropouts was the first sign. Now it won't pass power or signal to the multi-media knob on the center console (Performed extensive testing as I first thought the knob was broken or its cable got kinked/broken. When I took the CarLife harness out of the equation, the multi-media knob worked just fine.) Emailed CKM and Rock to inquire re: a new harness.

Has anyone used the new wireless Apple CarPlay adapter? (I'm using what appears to be a de-badged Carlinkit CPC200-CMAP I bought from CKM). I saw a version on Alibaba but it looked to have the same harness as the Android head unit and I thought there was NO WAY IN HELL that could fit in the E350. Or is it a USB dongle like the original (eg https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08TM7N5CZ...ov_lig_dp_it)? CKM has one for USD $120 but the Carlinkit version is only USD $70. I'm assuming Chris is still using the same dongles. Anyone have experience on these newer units? ETA: The new Carlinkit works great. A little slow on booting up but works as marketed.

Cheers!
@mdzukunft: I've purchased my unit from 4x4 Shop in Canada. They supplied PDF install instructions (not helpful) but more importantly, over the phone support... They quickly resolved couple of install issues I had.
As for post-purchase support, I will update forum if any issues arise & I have to call them. I will also check on firmware updates with them from time to time (see if they will provide any). My unit is the Snapdragon 625, Android 10 and it came with:
MCU Ver: 615085dFY-N4.5-G-DC-201105
and
APP Ver: Ksw-Q-Userdebug-OS-v2.7.3
There is a Russian forum I found with wealth of info, firmware versions etc... if anyone needs it, PM me and I will share the link.
Talk about bloody hands during install...! Took 5 hrs to squeeze all them cables into C207. I hope this thing never has to come out & re-install... I'd rather cut my hands off, lol.
Old 03-30-2021, 10:59 AM

2014 GLK300
Draz,
My RoadTop is identical to yours, only that I didn't update the FW to 2.7.3. RoadTop told me the updates were minor so, having not done a FW upgrade yet on this unit, I chose the lazy way and left it as it was. If anyone knows of any useful improvements in 2.7.3 vs 2.6.8, please LMK. My car is a 2014 GLK300
My experience with Road Top has been so far very positive. They have been quite helpful with some minor issues I had (make CarPlay auto-connect every time I get in the car, etc.) ad I am currently trying to get them to help me out understand the reason for random micro audio interruptions while streaming music.

I will share any news from them.
Old 03-30-2021, 11:28 AM

2012 MB E350 Coupe
Draz,
My RoadTop is identical to yours, only that I didn't update the FW to 2.7.3. RoadTop told me the updates were minor so, having not done a FW upgrade yet on this unit, I chose the lazy way and left it as it was. If anyone knows of any useful improvements in 2.7.3 vs 2.6.8, please LMK. My car is a 2014 GLK300
My experience with Road Top has been so far very positive. They have been quite helpful with some minor issues I had (make CarPlay auto-connect every time I get in the car, etc.) ad I am currently trying to get them to help me out understand the reason for random micro audio interruptions while streaming music.

I will share any news from them.
The Russian link I've sent you has many firmware versions available for download, revision logs, instructions on How To as well..
Old 04-08-2021, 06:17 AM

2011 E350 4matic
Carlife-mall.net, offer u android screen gps for Benz etc | Carlife-mall, offer your car better solutions (carlife-mall.net) supply GPS splitter and Noise Isolator and Aux adapter for free if requested. I didn't need the Noise isolator as the sound is Outstanding No difference than factory. Their customer service is outstanding! I highly recommend buying from them. I also purchased the 360 Hyper camera from DMP cardesign. Customer service is not as good but still good. Both company's have lighting fast shipping I live on the east coast (NJ) and within a week of ordering my equipment I had everything installed in my car. I will have videos and install pictures coming soon and some bug fixes as well. I currently have T-Mobile SIM in mine for data (Works Very Well) and have a 1 TB SSD and a 1 TB MicroSD card (They are compatible ) connected to my screen and confirm is working, you have to format both to FATX. If you are taking a update file you have to use FAT32. My screen came with a 16GB MicroSD card which I use for updates. The customer service uses many apps but I use Facebook messenger to communicate with vendor. As far as the 360 Camera system from DMP Cardesign the largest flash drive is 128GB, I tried a 256GB and it didn't work. DMP cardesign website is DMP Car Design - The Most Advanced and Unique Car Accessories! I bought is ambient light kit, and door light projectors everything work and was good quality. If you use the code Flexx they will give you a discount I think 5% he gave me another 5% for buying multiple products.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:40 AM

w212 e350
road top 10.25" android no audio

im new to this thread to please bare with me
installed new display and no audio. i have the fiber optics in the new harness and adjusted the aux position on the android deviceas well as put it in aux mode on the oem. im also getting device unavailable when using oem satellite. im seeing the light in the fiber optic line. i have reset the comand unit as well as diconnected the fuses for the radio/amp/satellite and disconnected the battery and still no audio. any help or advice?
Old 04-29-2021, 10:08 AM

w202 c200 sport
Originally Posted by Jeas
Hi! Does anyone use the 2GB Ram&Quad-Core version?
Enough for everyday use, or should I choose 4GB of RAM instead?
There is also a built-in Carplay, which I like separately.
thanks for the help in advance
Yes I have one installed on my pre facelift W204 which NTG4 with AUX in glove box Its a Navifly N200.

It runs Android 10 fine: in fact better than fine. Its fast to boot, the screen is responsive with no lag both touchscreen and the centre console dial, the sound is great with no interference noise.
Wireless Carplay with my iphone 5s work beautifully, but drains the phone battery fast, and as I only wanted it for the GPS functions, I'm not sure if I really need it anyway

I have also tested GPS with Google Maps, Here WeGo, Tom Tom Go all work flawlessly. My GPS antenna is mounted just behind the unit, as is the microphone and the Wifi, stuck to the provided plastic cover that that the unit is screwed in to. Right now I'm getting used to Tom Tom Tom Go and I can start this with the a push of the voice button on the steering wheel. I don't know if voice street searches are possible in Tom Tom but there is an app for Here that claims it can do that but intermet connection is mandatory for it to work

Netflix works well, Chrome browser does too.

I have an after market 170 degree 720p reverse camera installed at the boot open handle in the centre of the boot lid which activates immediately I put in to reverse even if the unit is still booting ( which takes about 15-20 seconds) and it has parking sensor and steering wheel guide lines. The guidlines are a bit off centre- not sure of that is because of where I installed the camera or not or because its not OEM, but I have to reset them very time I re-start the car

One thing that I regret is the screen is a bit reflective if sunlight shines directly on it.

I configured my unit to start in the original system so it plays my radio whilst I wait for boot.

The two USB are routed through my glove box and sit in the passenger side netting.

Last edited by stefcep; 04-29-2021 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-29-2021, 01:12 PM

2014 GLK300
Originally Posted by stefcep
Yes I have one installed on my pre facelift W204 which NTG4 with AUX in glove box Its a Navifly N200.
...The guidlines are a bit off centre- not sure of that is because of where I installed the camera or not or because its not OEM, but I have to reset them very time I re-start the car
I got the same issue. i have a set of fixed colored

lines (that can be turned off during installation) that belong to the camera and I also have the "moving lines" that move with the steering wheel. these last are generated by the car's OEM unit and are always off center when the car is turned on. I can center them with one of the buttons on the screen, but they will get reset the next time I come back to my car.
I have not ben able to find a permanent solution to this.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:51 PM

w202 c200 sport
I got the same issue. i have a set of fixed colored

lines (that can be turned off during installation) that belong to the camera and I also have the "moving lines" that move with the steering wheel. these last are generated by the car's OEM unit and are always off center when the car is turned on. I can center them with one of the buttons on the screen, but they will get reset the next time I come back to my car.
I have not ben able to find a permanent solution to this.
My car is a W204 pre-facelift with no OEM GPS, no OEM reverse camera and has the small, fixed screen, versions. What's interesting is that the C-Class in Australia from searches suggests it never had the steering wheel moving guidelines made available to the OEM reverse camera system, yet my Android camera screen is identical to yours (but mirror reversed as my car is RHD) and has fully operational guidelines, so where do the moving guidelines come from: the Andriod unit or the OEM that officially doesn't have them?

My camera is mounted at the boot ("trunk") handle ie basically in the centre of the car but the OEM camera has an installation position to one side. I wonder if this is why the guidelines are off centre? Its not a solution to the moving guideline position not saving, but the camera mounted centrally might be why the moving guidelines are off in the first place?

Where is your camera mounted?
Old 04-30-2021, 11:58 AM

2014 GLK300
Originally Posted by stefcep
My car is a W204 pre-facelift with no OEM GPS, no OEM reverse camera and has the small, fixed screen, versions. What's interesting is that the C-Class in Australia from searches suggests it never had the steering wheel moving guidelines made available to the OEM reverse camera system, yet my Android camera screen is identical to yours (but mirror reversed as my car is RHD) and has fully operational guidelines, so where do the moving guidelines come from: the Andriod unit or the OEM that officially doesn't have them?

My camera is mounted at the boot ("trunk") handle ie basically in the centre of the car but the OEM camera has an installation position to one side. I wonder if this is why the guidelines are off centre? Its not a solution to the moving guideline position not saving, but the camera mounted centrally might be why the moving guidelines are off in the first place?

Where is your camera mounted?
Same here. My X204 had no GPS or camera. However, the OEM audio system (Command 20?) is the one that generates the moving lines anyway. These images are superimposed with the camera image by the Android screen.
So, to answer your question: the OEM system is responsible for generating the moving lines.

Now, what baffles me, is that if the OEM generates the moving lines as well as the three left-side (in my case) buttons, why isn't there an option in the OEM menus to calibrate the moving lines so they are permanently centered? There should be, but I've not been able to find out.
Old 05-01-2021, 09:19 AM

w202 c200 sport
Maybe because the moving guidelines were never offered for the C-class, MB didn't worry about the position saving? Is there an "engineering menu" in the OEM system?

I wonder if anyone can confirm if the guidelines can be moved and saved on the W212.

My OCD will probably kick in and I'll end up moving the camera to the side.
Old 05-01-2021, 09:46 AM

2014 GLK300
There is an Engineering Menu that you access by pressing: <Hangup> + <1> + <#> on the OEM keypad simultaneously for several seconds until the menu shows up.
But I could not find a setting to save the position of the lines. If you find it, please make sure to let me know.

BTW, my camera is also installed in the center of the liftgate

Last edited by Palom0; 05-01-2021 at 09:59 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.

Quick Reply: 10.25 inch android headunit installed