E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

10.25 inch android headunit installed

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.

Old 03-31-2022, 01:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E-200 CDI on steroids (W212)
So received my Android unit........ with extras!!! A broken screen. So contacted the seller and i have to ship it back so they can check it. Opened a ticket to get my money back but this will all take a long time (took about 6 weeks to receive the unit, stupid China) so with some luck i might get another one before the year ends.

Now i have to go because the wife is coming to kick my *** for spending a lot of money on a Chinese "toy" that took too long to be delivered and doesn't work......

Beco
Old 04-01-2022, 03:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 210 Likes on 156 Posts
W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
Originally Posted by becosemsaida
So received my Android unit........ with extras!!! A broken screen. So contacted the seller and i have to ship it back so they can check it. Opened a ticket to get my money back but this will all take a long time (took about 6 weeks to receive the unit, stupid China) so with some luck i might get another one before the year ends.

Now i have to go because the wife is coming to kick my *** for spending a lot of money on a Chinese "toy" that took too long to be delivered and doesn't work......

Beco
Well there you go. Cheap is not always the best.
Old 04-03-2022, 08:30 AM

Hey Chris,
First of all thanks for all your hard work in this (and other) threads. Second is that i live in PT and the laws on private importing stuff is crazy, sometimes you pay more for an item just in taxes then for the item itself or it's just retained for 6-12 months. The only thing that "passes" are gifts (not always). So i bought from a seller that sends it as a gift, was retained by customs and let it pass in one week. Items coming from the UE are not taxed but sometimes inspected but i didn't find anyone that sends from the UE. Now you might be right, sending it back, opening ticket hoping to get my money back some day........... this all takes time and money.

After having all this problems and waiting for the unit to get back to China hoping for the best might just get me quiting this project all together. Since i have an aux input and an old 7" android tablet i might go that way........ At least i might survive the experience with minimal damage.

Beco
Old 04-03-2022, 04:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 GLA45 AMG
I bought one of these 10.25” Android Auto Touchscreens NaviFly from AliExpress, and installed it as per (very poor) Chinese instructions. I too could not get the unit to connect to my Comand unit and literally spent weeks trying to get answers from the suppliers. My recommendation? Don’t waste your money on Chinese units. Mine is in the trash. I also busted a small curry/yellow Fakra pin one one of the Comand unit connectors so now no radio! Trying to find out if this small brass pin can be re-soldered back on and still work or whether it will have to go to an electronics shop for repair. And help on this would be appreciated.
Old 04-04-2022, 02:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 210 Likes on 156 Posts
W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
Originally Posted by kennick
I bought one of these 10.25” Android Auto Touchscreens NaviFly from AliExpress, and installed it as per (very poor) Chinese instructions. I too could not get the unit to connect to my Comand unit and literally spent weeks trying to get answers from the suppliers. My recommendation? Don’t waste your money on Chinese units. Mine is in the trash. I also busted a small curry/yellow Fakra pin one one of the Comand unit connectors so now no radio! Trying to find out if this small brass pin can be re-soldered back on and still work or whether it will have to go to an electronics shop for repair. And help on this would be appreciated.
To bad. Its simple fix.
Old 04-11-2022, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E550
Just got a new to me 2012 and going from something with android auto has been rough.

Been going through the thread and mine doesn't have the USB and 12 volt port in the glove box. There's two "dents" in the cover where I can see that they would be. Is this just some aftermarket thing someone covered them with or do some just not have them installed? I was hoping to tap into that power for my dash cam too

edit - looks like my connections are in the console - would that affect the installation? the vids i'm looking at show people routing usb through the glove box

Last edited by rmm989; 04-11-2022 at 08:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RWagz (04-11-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 05:44 PM

Received 81 Likes on 46 Posts
2010 Mercedes E350 Base Sedan
Originally Posted by rmm989
Just got a new to me 2012 and going from something with android auto has been rough.

Been going through the thread and mine doesn't have the USB and 12 volt port in the glove box. There's two "dents" in the cover where I can see that they would be. Is this just some aftermarket thing someone covered them with or do some just not have them installed? I was hoping to tap into that power for my dash cam too
I have the same question. I removed my iPod Integration module and want to replace it with MMI - or "nothing" if the android auto head unit does not need it.
Old 05-06-2022, 08:41 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
GLK350
Has anyone solved the problem, where you have to manually enable WiFi every time? It connects automatically to my phone's hotspot for 2 seconds on start and then turns off. Please don't tell me this an intended behavior, I'm almost ready to get a data SIM as a workaround.
Old 05-07-2022, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 138 Posts
W212 M276 DELA 30 ; W211 OM642 ; R107 M117, Sierra 1500 LZ0
I've been looking for a turnkey solution to upgrade my W211 for 12 years now and have found nothing but halfway working solutions with tons of effort involved. I've been watching this thread with interest for my W212 and see that things seem to be progressing in the same fashion. I commend everyone who's taken the plunge and provided feedback, but it seems like there still isn't a good aftermarket unit that integrates without a ton of hassle and compromises. I'll continue to watch this thread and hope something of quality comes up. I think the W211 is now old enough that no one bothers, I hope my W212 doesn't age off the radar like that because I really don't want to buy a modern throwaway car.
Old 05-07-2022, 01:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
GLK350
Originally Posted by DubVBenz
I've been looking for a turnkey solution to upgrade my W211 for 12 years now and have found nothing but halfway working solutions with tons of effort involved. I've been watching this thread with interest for my W212 and see that things seem to be progressing in the same fashion. I commend everyone who's taken the plunge and provided feedback, but it seems like there still isn't a good aftermarket unit that integrates without a ton of hassle and compromises. I'll continue to watch this thread and hope something of quality comes up. I think the W211 is now old enough that no one bothers, I hope my W212 doesn't age off the radar like that because I really don't want to buy a modern throwaway car.
It works eventually and the truth is there's nothing better than these bootleg tablets, they are more innovative too compared to the new official offerings.
Old 05-10-2022, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by DubVBenz
After my experience with this and the way i got mine (broken screen) i think i won't be upgrading to an android soon. I found a "workaround" but the sound quality is not so good, i might need a better tablet..... It's not perfect and i will rip it all out soon (no holes were drilled so it should look as new). Between my "old" VW full spec radio and this........ i'll take this anytime even with no youtube etc. etc. I will find a way to upgrade my radio, there is a guy that clames he can install and code the newer radio from a W213 into a W212 we'll see how that works.

Beco
Old 05-17-2022, 03:57 PM

E-Class W212 (2014)
Originally Posted by Palom0
I agree that MB's OEM mic is really good. However, if i am using the Android screen with CarPlay and I want a seamless operation of the whole system, I need to be using the Android mic for calls and any other function (Whatsapp dictation, etc). That is why I am looking at using a better microphone.
Hi! Did you solve this?
I have the same problem with the bad microphone.
Old 05-17-2022, 04:03 PM

E-Class W212 (2014)
Originally Posted by Left Coast Geek
folks tell me my car speakerphone sounds like I'm sitting in my livingroom.
Did you solve it?
Old 05-18-2022, 09:34 AM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Mercedes 2014 E350 Estate (S212)
Originally Posted by rmm989

edit - looks like my connections are in the console - would that affect the installation? the vids i'm looking at show people routing usb through the glove box
i purchased the roadtop android 11 from aliexpress. It has taken some troubleshooting but they are responsive through aliexpress messaging and they even provide a manual (shock)…. The unit works with wireless and wired carplay. It does not require a hardwired aux cable to the centre console - actually none of the android units do if you follow the internal aux instructions in this forum. I purchased an amazon usb extender and drilled it into the side of my glovebox - note the location i have shown here had to be moved forward due to conflict with the parts in the dash on the second photo. I used a 3/4” and 1” hole saw and that made short work of it.

the ami doesn’t do anything with this unit at all. However you can still use the ami with the stock radio in this setup.

there may well be a way to bring the usb into the top of the glovebox where there is a template for the becker maps module (seems to be europe only)…

this unit auto switches also between the radio and the android unit (press radio or disc), camera, and also the centre control knob works.

robban99d (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 10:08 AM

E-Class W212 (2014)
Originally Posted by nateo83
i purchased the roadtop android 11 from aliexpress. It has taken some troubleshooting but they are responsive through aliexpress messaging and they even provide a manual (shock)…. The unit works with wireless and wired carplay. It does not require a hardwired aux cable to the centre console - actually none of the android units do if you follow the internal aux instructions in this forum. I purchased an amazon usb extender and drilled it into the side of my glovebox - note the location i have shown here had to be moved forward due to conflict with the parts in the dash on the second photo. I used a 3/4” and 1” hole saw and that made short work of it.

the ami doesn’t do anything with this unit at all. However you can still use the ami with the stock radio in this setup.

there may well be a way to bring the usb into the top of the glovebox where there is a template for the becker maps module (seems to be europe only)…

this unit auto switches also between the radio and the android unit (press radio or disc), camera, and also the centre control knob works.
Did I understand you correctly that you are not using the microphone on the android device, but that you somehow connected something (what’s “AMI”?) so the original microphone is now connected?
Old 07-02-2022, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK 250
Does anyone have the fix for this issue? I have the same - box version does not match
Old 07-02-2022, 02:20 PM

2014 GLK 250
Originally Posted by Draz
@mdzukunft: I've purchased my unit from 4x4 Shop in Canada. They supplied PDF install instructions (not helpful) but more importantly, over the phone support... They quickly resolved couple of install issues I had.
As for post-purchase support, I will update forum if any issues arise & I have to call them. I will also check on firmware updates with them from time to time (see if they will provide any). My unit is the Snapdragon 625, Android 10 and it came with:
MCU Ver: 615085dFY-N4.5-G-DC-201105
and
APP Ver: Ksw-Q-Userdebug-OS-v2.7.3
There is a Russian forum I found with wealth of info, firmware versions etc... if anyone needs it, PM me and I will share the link.
Talk about bloody hands during install...! Took 5 hrs to squeeze all them cables into C207. I hope this thing never has to come out & re-install... I'd rather cut my hands off, lol.
Just read this...can you send me the russian link? hope its in English that I can read and make the carplay work
Old 07-02-2022, 03:54 PM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Mercedes 2014 E350 Estate (S212)
Originally Posted by robban99d
Did I understand you correctly that you are not using the microphone on the android device, but that you somehow connected something (what’s “AMI”?) so the original microphone is now connected?
yes all the android units are since they are intercepting the original wiring harness can utilize the original car microphone. The microphone is wired into that big square jack that goes into the back of the COMAND. AMI is the proprietary Mercedes connector in the console or glovebox and if you have that you can either hardwire the aux input and then use the AMI to aux adapter with a wire going through your console or glovebox. OR, you can set the radio to use it directly with no wires since the android unit intercepts the AUX signal in the big square connector anyways (just be sure in that case you don’t also plug in the hardwired AUX as that creates interference) - search the forum for internal audio enable - i’ve posted the link to the other forum chain but I don’t have it offhand.
RWagz (07-07-2022)
Old 07-02-2022, 03:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 MB E350 Coupe
https://4pda.to/forum/index.php?showtopic=976331&st=0
Old 07-02-2022, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,283 Likes on 878 Posts
2016 E350 4Matic wagon, 2019 Ford Expedition 4x4
and whats this russian web forum supposed to mean to us ?
Old 07-04-2022, 12:49 AM

E350 convertible
What's up team!
I'm excited to give it a go this weekend. Wish me luck!
A couple questions to make sure I'm on the right track (2013 e350 cabriolet A207 NTG4.5).
  1. (my biggest question) I have an AMI plug with a Female 3.5mm Aux Audio In. However, I'm not sure where in the Main Wiring Harness I connect it to. I have a 3.5mm extension cord, and I see 3.5mm Audio In and Audio Out connected to each other. I also see RCA Aux L/R In. I just dont know where to connect my AMI plug to the Harness.
  2. Is the external speaker any good? You guys using it?
  3. On the smaller wire harness, next to the mic-in, there are cables: LDVS VCC 5V and LDVS VCC 12V. What are they for?
  4. You guys using the external Mic? Does it make a difference?
  5. Is there a trick to getting the plastic screw covers off the back of the head unit? I'm having trouble prying them off.
  6. Finally, I assume I don't need the random smaller cables on the Main Harness (Camera, Det, ACC-In, and Camera +12). Is that right? I'm not installing any extra backup or 360 cameras.
Thanks!
Chris

Old 07-04-2022, 12:50 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
E350 Sport
Dude your gonna have to do some work. To make it discreet and not show anything, pull that center console and connect the plug to it and reroute it under your passenger dash
Old 07-04-2022, 09:42 AM

E350 convertible
Originally Posted by Heisenberg5070
Dude your gonna have to do some work. To make it discreet and not show anything, pull that center console and connect the plug to it and reroute it under your passenger dash
Yup, my ami cable plugs into the center console so I do need to tuck it away for a clean install.

My question is, the AMI cable has a female 3.5mm aux-in.
what plugs into that? I can't find a loose male 3.5mm audio out on the Android wiring harness. I only see 3.5mm male and female already plugged into each other.

Make sense?
Thanks!
Old 07-07-2022, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by nateo83
yes all the android units are since they are intercepting the original wiring harness can utilize the original car microphone. The microphone is wired into that big square jack that goes into the back of the COMAND. AMI is the proprietary Mercedes connector in the console or glovebox and if you have that you can either hardwire the aux input and then use the AMI to aux adapter with a wire going through your console or glovebox. OR, you can set the radio to use it directly with no wires since the android unit intercepts the AUX signal in the big square connector anyways (just be sure in that case you don’t also plug in the hardwired AUX as that creates interference) - search the forum for internal audio enable - i’ve posted the link to the other forum chain but I don’t have it offhand.
Just to make sure here since hours of internet searching has not turned up a clear answer for me: My car lacks any wired AUX or the means to connect an AMI/MMI AUX adapter, so I can use the AUX that is part of the big cam-lock connection on the back of the NTG4.0?

Detail: 2010 E350 Base Sedan with NTG4.0. I do not have anything AMI/MMI. There aren't any connectors in the center console or glove box. There is an intact "knockout" in the glove box that would be removed for the MMI connector. I pulled the NTG4.0 to install an aftermarket backup camera and there wasn't anything other than the big cam-lock connector and a couple of fakra connectors. I hope I can install one of these
Old 07-07-2022, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by SmackHappy

I am looking for a 10" unit that is 720p. I can only find 10" 480p or 12" 720p. Where did you find this 10" 720p unit?
You have W207 NTG4.5. I need W212 NTG4.0. All the listings I have seen have the three NTG4.0/NTG4.5/NTG5 options for the two screen types, so I hope this isn't a "NTG4.0 doesn't support 720p 10" screens but somehow supports 720p 12" screens.
Is that an Android 9, 10, or 11 unit?

Looking up GTC080 gets too many hits and adding any terms doesn't get me anything relevant.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.

Quick Reply: 10.25 inch android headunit installed