E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

10.25 inch android headunit installed

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.

Old 09-01-2018, 07:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W212
I like this display!:вкусно:
Old 09-01-2018, 07:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 210 Likes on 156 Posts
W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
Originally Posted by Charlii
I like this display!:вкусно:
To bad though that it dont work with the old comand and hate the interface.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W212
News!
http://www.etoni.com.my/products/Mercedes-Benz-Head-unit-upgrade/255

https://youtu.be/5XM4IlyZZ3U
Old 09-02-2018, 12:57 PM

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
That home screen UI looks a mess. Nothing shows how it integrates all of the OEM systems, looks like just another cheap Chinese HU.

Last edited by 400ixl; 09-02-2018 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:17 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC X253
Originally Posted by Skeechan
Darn it, my V2 did it to me again. Got in the car this morning and was met with the Android Starting, optimizing apps, then something about processing an update and BAM, all my settings and apps are gone and the unit is back at a factory state. This is the second time it has done this and it is extremely annoying. Re-downloading all my apps and getting them logged back in and all of that is tedious. WTF?
Hi, I had twice the "optimizing apps" screen, but it never cleared out my settings. On the other hand my tablet screen doesn't auto-connect to Internet, so maybe you got actual system updates.
In my case, this was caused by shutting down the tablet (when opening the driver door after shutting down the engine) while something was still running: I suspect the power cut is too abrupt, the tablet doesn't have the time to shut down properly; especially if it was writing stuff to its internal storage. It seems closing the heavy apps (the GPS in my case) or waiting a bit prevents it.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 C207
This is how I'm driving around now. I've been trying for 4 hours to get the radio back in. Tried tucking the cables under the radio a dozen time and it's not even close. I have a 10.25" brick, haha.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
W212 E350 2014
Saw this post yesterday and now I'm waiting for the shipment. Luckily I was born and raised in shenzhen so that I can hook up with the factory directly and get a factory price for it (400 shipped), and asked them to customize it for my need (software customization).

I got some info from the factory:
1. this unit has three versions: low end 4 core + 2GB ram, 8 core + 2GB ram, and 8 core + 4GB ram + blue light ISP screen. I got the highest end one.
2. The software part was originally designed and customized for Chinese market. It has 4G Sim card slot by default. In China, you are able to voice control everything with no wifi needed. However the LTE band standard is different outside of China, so the hardware limitation kind of suck.
3. The factory said there should not have any android 7 10.25 unit in the market. If they have competitors making it they should know.
4. Regarding to the Android version, the Android 6 version is fully compatible with the car so that they WONT move to Android 7 at all. The software integration is not version migratable.
5. The unit has built in microphone, and it is a major feature for the Chinese market version. However when they make the Google version they were not able to turn it on for the Google assistant and they don't want to spend much time investing on making a Google one (the demand in China is way bigger than the other countries combined). So they probably stopped developing it. From software perspective, it is totally doable to turn it on with installing Google services and make the Google assistant on in the background.

I will post more when I start installing the unit (latest high end model with 8 core 4GB Android 6 and customized for Google). For the installation, I will also post one on YouTube . In China, the installation is performed mostly by the dealership and it's FREE (included in the price) therefore they don't even bother to make a video. The dealership staff can install the unit within 20 mins. Also if you buy this in China they will video chat 1 to 1 to help you install LOL...
​​

Last edited by choitwao; 09-02-2018 at 10:39 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:33 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2014 E350 station wagon gasoline
Originally Posted by choitwao
3. The factory said there should not have any android 7 10.25 unit in the market. If they have competitors making it they should know.
4. Regarding to the Android version, the Android 6 version is fully compatible with the car so that they WONT move to Android 7 at all. The software integration is not version migratable.​​
This is a little confusing. The V2 version comes with Android 7.1 so I am not sure I understand your post about the screen coming with Android 6.0. Someone would have noticed by now it it wasn't Android 7.1.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:18 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC X253
2. The software part was originally designed and customized for Chinese market. It has 4G Sim card slot by default
Thx for the feedacks. I believe the LTE bands are quite similar between China and Europe. Maybe the SIM port won't work only in North America?
Old 09-03-2018, 04:20 AM

Chinese bands don't work in the UK, or wider Europe as far as I know.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:29 AM

W212 E350 2014
Originally Posted by dacia
This is a little confusing. The V2 version comes with Android 7.1 so I am not sure I understand your post about the screen coming with Android 6.0. Someone would have noticed by now it it wasn't Android 7.1.
tbh I don't know where those 7.1 or even 8 units come from and I'm being skeptical on them. I searched through the Chinese alibaba variance called Taobao (basically the amazon for Chinese people) and NONE of the products claim they use Android 7.1 kernel. The factory literally told me that the latest one is Android 6 and they never heard of 7.1 exists. For me Android 6 is compatible with Google assisstan and I don't see there is any need for Android 7 especially on a car use tablet device. Another reason why I'm being skeptical is that it doesn't matter where you get the unit (from the Chris guy above or Aliexpress) and how they brand it with different product names, they are most likely built in one or two factories in Shenzhen. That's how the business works in China. If there is 7.1 unit in the market, then all the batches in the market should be 7.1. regardless how they brand it. So few 7.1 with the majority is still 6.0 and 5.1... Just don't make sense to me.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:35 AM

W212 E350 2014
​​Just for addition just the factory said they don't make 7.1 units doesn't mean no one is doinf it. I think the resellers in NA are capable of upgrading it by themselves if there is a demand out there, and that's definitely possible and doable. But i would be skeptical if it is shipped directly from China.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 210 Likes on 156 Posts
W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
"Chris guy form above" here. Our SW team make it to a 7. Wish makes 7 apps apk files possible to install and use.

Last edited by Chris The Swede; 09-03-2018 at 05:49 AM.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:23 AM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
2011 W212
Yeah, my V2 from Chris The Swede not only has Android 7, but the mic works great with Google Assistant. I tried it briefly when I was playing with Android Auto downloaded from the play store and had full hands free OK Google functionality which comes from GA (just called Google). Just more reason to get it from CKM.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:16 PM

Has anyone been able to pair an OBD2 bluetooth adaptor to the V2 head unit? If so, could I ask which one is it and where did you get it from?

Looks like the unit is restricted in what adaptors it will pair with (many of these Chinese HU's only pair with devices named "OBD"). Short of decompiling MTCBluetooth3.apk and Settings.apk , modifying the smali files to remove the restriction and recompiling them, or rooting it and putting the Xposed module in its finding a compatible device.

Chris, is this something you could ask the developers about and whether they have restricted the devices it will pair with. Its one of your units.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:21 PM

Anyone looked into changing the default apps that are in the launcher?

I can see how to do the Navigation App (which is good as the iGO app for me didn't work (asked for some files on an SD card which is corrupt and I had to replace on mine). I can also see how to remove the icons totally, but can't see how to add new icons, or change the associated apps in the existing ones. Not looked into the file structures yet or the apk for the launcher as of yet.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:24 PM

2011 W212
Originally Posted by 400ixl
Anyone looked into changing the default apps that are in the launcher?

I can see how to do the Navigation App (which is good as the iGO app for me didn't work (asked for some files on an SD card which is corrupt and I had to replace on mine). I can also see how to remove the icons totally, but can't see how to add new icons, or change the associated apps in the existing ones. Not looked into the file structures yet or the apk for the launcher as of yet.
About device - Password protected settings gear icon (to the right of HMI Benz) - Menu Icons

Last edited by Skeechan; 09-03-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:40 PM

​​Just for addition just the factory said they don't make 7.1 units doesn't mean no one is doinf it. I think the resellers in NA are capable of upgrading it by themselves if there is a demand out there, and that's definitely possible and doable. But i would be skeptical if it is shipped directly from China.
If this is the case then the difference between the V1 and V2 are basically just an Android and other software upgrade?
But it seems like they also upgraded the memory and storage capacity.
Also, what is that blue light ISP screen you mentioned?
On Alibaba, and from Chris, it seems the unit comes with one set of specs only.
If there are 3 in existence why don't they sell the other two?

And lastly, can the COMAND DVD player used to play DVDs and can we watch them on the big screen?
Thanks.

Last edited by dacia; 09-03-2018 at 08:43 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:43 PM

2011 W212
COMAND is only viewable as PiP, not full screen as far as I can tell but you can watch whatever you want off SD cards or via tethered streaming. I have Blu-ray rips on my 200GB microSD and they all play fine using VLC and of course I stream videos like crazy (since I have an unlimited tethering plan).
Old 09-03-2018, 10:37 PM

Thanks Skeechan
So what you are saying is that the COMAND window is the original size on the Android screen and in that window I can watch whatever I play on the DVD?.

On Alibaba the specs state: "Max External Memory:64G".
You can connect a 200GB SD card and use it?
Would the 64GB be a USB limitation?
Old 09-03-2018, 10:48 PM

2011 W212
COMAND window appears PiP with a correct aspect ratio. I do not use DVD in COMAND so I do not know how video in motion works with COMAND but if it works like radio or other functions, then it should work with DVD. It doesn't appear pixel perfect though. COMAND is slightly fuzzy as if scaled or interpolated on mine. SLIGHTLY fuzzy. It is fine for COMAND navi, radio or things like that, but video might look soft. Color is also a bit off with COMAND in PiP too which doesn't matter for radio and stuff but could look a bit off for videos. My colors shifted a bit pale in COMAND. Changing screen parameters has an effect on these but is not perfect-perfect color reproduction of the original COMAND screen.

As for 64GB, don't know where that comes from as I use 200GB no problem. It is not a USB limit either. I did mount 2TB and V2 didn't like booting from it but I think that was a USB bus amperage (probably only lower power USB) problem, not a size problem as when I plugged it in after boot, it mounted 2TB HDD no problem. The USB port is probably only .5A.

Mine did not come from Alibaba, it came from Chris the Swede along with excellent post install support so it could function differently.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:45 PM

Thanks Skeechan, very good info.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:08 AM

W212 E350 2014
Originally Posted by dacia
If this is the case then the difference between the V1 and V2 are basically just an Android and other software upgrade?
But it seems like they also upgraded the memory and storage capacity.
Also, what is that blue light ISP screen you mentioned?
On Alibaba, and from Chris, it seems the unit comes with one set of specs only.
If there are 3 in existence why don't they sell the other two?

And lastly, can the COMAND DVD player used to play DVDs and can we watch them on the big screen?
Thanks.
I assume that is the truth. As Chris said his dev team come up with the Android 7.1 update for the unit and called it V2, which is an awesome move since the factory will not improve the foreign OS version, at least not before the Chinese version does. I would definitely do it by myself since I am a software guy...
For the hardware tho, I believe the high-end variance just got released in the market for one or two months, and it comes with Android 6.0.
Based on my research, the variances are
  • 4 cores + 1 GB ram + 16GB capacity + Android 5.0, should be the earliest model
  • 8 cores + 2 GB ram + 32GB + Android 5.0 (early version) / 6.0 (upgraded version, the common one now in the market)
  • the latest 8 cores + 4GB ram + 64GB capacity + Android 6.0 + Blue Light IPS Screen Panel + SIM card slots
I corrected a few spec error in my previous post, this should be the correct one based on the info. So the hardware is the major difference between these variances (but I doubt that the hardware architecture is changed), they just improved it. The software update should be available across all these variances.
The `Blue Light Screen` is basically instead of the regular LCD screen on the first two variances they put a better panel on the unit with a blue light filter. It kind of blocks the blue light from the screen and reduce reflection so that the screen is more clear under strong lights (i.e. sunlight).
They are selling three variances mostly because 1) need to empty the stock, 2) different target clients, as I mentioned that the Chinese market is pretty huge and some might want to spend less on the navigation screen and some don't care at all, 3) prices are different, it is about US$100 difference between each variance, so the cheapest one can go to less than $300 MSRP.
Also, in the Chinese market, all these variances come with add-ons such as integrated dash cam, backup camera etc. etc.

I am not quite sure about the DVD tho since I haven't get my hands on the product. I think based on the videos above you can watch them but not in full screen, only in the COMAND screen.

I attached a few screenshot of the product description/poster. I think the panel itself doesnt make huge difference but marketing trick.

FYI: i have no $$ connection to this product and the factory, or not mean to ruin anyone's business, just posting the info I found based on my research and connection and hope it will help the members in this forum

Screen difference here

Last edited by choitwao; 09-04-2018 at 12:18 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by choitwao:
Coldfact (04-16-2019), dsenela (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 12:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 E550

damn it! Just when im ready to order... I get freaked out LOL.
you know to come to think of it you have a good point there ...it used to be pretty easy to spoof your Android version by editing the build.prop. You used to be able to make your Android version anything you'd like. The big reason I am suspicious is because no one reports that they're able to use the PiP function which is a staple of Android 7.0. Perhaps they edited the build. Prop to shut up us whining Americans....

could someone who has the product say what this link says?

https://whatismyandroidversion.com/
or maybe download this from the app store?
it will confirm the CPU and Android version... I just don't know if changing it in the build. Prop what effect would it displays but it's worth a shot

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inpocketsoftware.andTest

this link will actually give the build number

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inkwired.droidinfo

awaiting the results
Old 09-04-2018, 02:58 AM

I assume that is the truth. As Chris said his dev team come up with the Android 7.1 update for the unit and called it V2, which is an awesome move since the factory will not improve the foreign OS version, at least not before the Chinese version does. I would definitely do it by myself since I am a software guy...
For the hardware tho, I believe the high-end variance just got released in the market for one or two months, and it comes with Android 6.0.
Based on my research, the variances are
  • 4 cores + 1 GB ram + 16GB capacity + Android 5.0, should be the earliest model
  • 8 cores + 2 GB ram + 32GB + Android 5.0 (early version) / 6.0 (upgraded version, the common one now in the market)
  • the latest 8 cores + 4GB ram + 64GB capacity + Android 6.0 + Blue Light IPS Screen Panel + SIM card slots
I corrected a few spec error in my previous post, this should be the correct one based on the info. So the hardware is the major difference between these variances (but I doubt that the hardware architecture is changed), they just improved it. The software update should be available across all these variances.
The `Blue Light Screen` is basically instead of the regular LCD screen on the first two variances they put a better panel on the unit with a blue light filter. It kind of blocks the blue light from the screen and reduce reflection so that the screen is more clear under strong lights (i.e. sunlight).
They are selling three variances mostly because 1) need to empty the stock, 2) different target clients, as I mentioned that the Chinese market is pretty huge and some might want to spend less on the navigation screen and some don't care at all, 3) prices are different, it is about US$100 difference between each variance, so the cheapest one can go to less than $300 MSRP.
Also, in the Chinese market, all these variances come with add-ons such as integrated dash cam, backup camera etc. etc.

I am not quite sure about the DVD tho since I haven't get my hands on the product. I think based on the videos above you can watch them but not in full screen, only in the COMAND screen.

I attached a few screenshot of the product description/poster. I think the panel itself doesnt make huge difference but marketing trick.

FYI: i have no $$ connection to this product and the factory, or not mean to ruin anyone's business, just posting the info I found based on my research and connection and hope it will help the members in this forum
That's an awesome post choitwao, thanks,
I will wait until the latest version becomes the most common or available at all because for now I can only find the mid-level both on Alibaba and from Chris.
As I live in Japan I can use the SLIM slots as well, according to Car-life it supports the following LTE bands: B1, B3, B7, B8, B39, B40, B41

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.

Quick Reply: 10.25 inch android headunit installed