Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W212)
E550 Brakes and Rotors -- Front and Back >

E550 Brakes and Rotors -- Front and Back

Notices
E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

E550 Brakes and Rotors -- Front and Back

 
Old 12-31-2017, 05:00 PM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E550
E550 Brakes and Rotors -- Front and Back

What is the reasonable cost to replace front and rear brake pads and rotors at a MB dealer and at a non-dealer?
MSDMSD is offline  
Old 12-31-2017, 05:03 PM
  #2  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Zion
Posts: 714
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
W212 E550 4M P2
Me, too.

Eager to see what the hive says.
Johnny Rad is offline  
Old 12-31-2017, 06:35 PM
  #3  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
thefisch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: West Central Florida
Posts: 3,035
Thanked 293 Times in 252 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
I was just quoted $775 for front axle and $725 for rear axle from a local dealer for MB OEM pads and rotors. Based on reading issues here and my own experience, I don't plan on going OEM for pads and rotors. Front rotors on E550 are susceptible to warping and brake dust is excessive. I plan to shop around but haven't gotten a chance yet.

Last edited by thefisch; 01-01-2018 at 10:53 AM.
thefisch is offline  
Old 12-31-2017, 08:42 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
apg231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Western Massachusetts
Posts: 259
Thanks: 0
Thanked 33 Times in 27 Posts
2014 E550 Black on Black
Originally Posted by thefisch View Post
I was just quoted $775 for front axle and $725 for rear axle from a local dealer for MB OEM pads and rotors. Based on reading issues here and my own experience, I don't plan on going OEM for pads and rotors. Front rotors on E550 are susceptible to warping and brake dust is excessive. I plant to shop around but haven't gotten a chance yet.
My fronts were just done under warranty (warped rotors) and believe the slip I got said $1,181 for rotors and pads. I will have to dig it out to verify.
apg231 is offline  
Old 01-01-2018, 07:24 AM
  #5  
Super Member
 
Munich77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Washington DC area
Posts: 789
Thanked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Mine: 2014 E550 4matic; Hers: 2008 E350 4matic
I had an estimate of about $1000ish for the front rotors and pads.
Munich77 is offline  
Old 01-01-2018, 05:17 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Oda112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: TX
Posts: 321
Thanked 50 Times in 41 Posts
2010 W212 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by MSDMSD View Post
What is the reasonable cost to replace front and rear brake pads and rotors at a MB dealer and at a non-dealer?
I've replaced my fronts (rotors and pads) myself, parts were around 300$ (Brembo rotors and pads - since the calipers are Brembos too on the E550). Rears were around 275$ in parts for Brembos from Autozone. Add at least 2 hours of labor and that's your total. At a local shop, it shouldn't go over 800$ for all four corners. Also, don't use MB rotors because as others have stated here, they will go bad in less than 10k miles. When I bought my car it had 4k miles on the brand new rotors and pads which were replaced at MB of St Louis and they already had the brake shudder issue.
Oda112 is offline  
Old 01-02-2018, 11:02 PM
  #7  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Zion
Posts: 714
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
W212 E550 4M P2
Not inexpensive.

Suppose I’m glad they’re not bigger AMG steel rotors much less ceramics...
Johnny Rad is offline  
Old 01-03-2018, 10:18 AM
  #8  
Member
 
VegasE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 181
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
2012 E350 sedan
Have not done my E350 yet but just finished my Audi TT

Went non-OEM with EBC Red Stuff pads and EBC rotors. Very pleased with the dramatic increase in initial bite and after about 500 miles they are virtually dust free. No noise either. I shopped for EBC parts on several web sites and found the best prices on Amazon. However, the EBC site says they match Amazon prices so you are sure you will get genuine parts so that is what I did. Also, check out the EBC site for their package deals of pads and rotors which are significantly cheaper than buying pads and rotors separately. Heard a lot of good things about Brembo too but EBC was less expensive.
VegasE is offline  
Old 01-03-2018, 11:08 AM
  #9  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 33
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2014 E550 4Matic
Originally Posted by Oda112 View Post
I've replaced my fronts (rotors and pads) myself, parts were around 300$ (Brembo rotors and pads - since the calipers are Brembos too on the E550). Rears were around 275$ in parts for Brembos from Autozone. Add at least 2 hours of labor and that's your total. At a local shop, it shouldn't go over 800$ for all four corners. Also, don't use MB rotors because as others have stated here, they will go bad in less than 10k miles. When I bought my car it had 4k miles on the brand new rotors and pads which were replaced at MB of St Louis and they already had the brake shudder issue.
Oda - i am also in need to change my rotors, are the brembos stock on the e550s? I also have a 14 e550.

thanks,
gunnerz101 is offline  
Old 01-03-2018, 11:32 AM
  #10  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: V E G A S
Posts: 4,968
Thanked 429 Times in 406 Posts
E250 BTC/ E320 BTC SL500
Rotors for me are 1/2 million miles item, so even when I buy high-mileage car, I measure them. Even at 160k miles the measurement show the rotors had more than 60% of wearable thickness, so I grind the lips and keep using them.
When I took my W212 to dealer for sensor coding, without asking they presented me with $5200 estimate for recommended jobs, what include $720 for new pads. I measured the pads to have 6mm, or over 60% of meat on them.
kajtek1 is offline  
Old 01-03-2018, 12:21 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Oda112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: TX
Posts: 321
Thanked 50 Times in 41 Posts
2010 W212 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by gunnerz101 View Post
Oda - i am also in need to change my rotors, are the brembos stock on the e550s? I also have a 14 e550.i

thanks,
The Brembo calipers are stock (on the pre facelift versions, 2009 - 2013), I think the rotors are Zimmerman (not 100% sure though). You can check by taking one of the front wheels off, the Brembo logo should be stamped on the caliper somewhere.
To be honest, I can't vouch for the Brembo rotors just yet, since they haven't been on the car for that long ( around 4k miles) and I'll have to look into them shuddering again. I recently went on a longer trip (2k miles) to the east coast and I think the shudder might be back ( either that or the roads, usually freeway exit ramps, were so uneven that the steering wheel would shake visibly when lightly braking between 60-35mph). I'll report back after more research and tests. At least I have a 2 year warranty on the rotors and pads, which is nice

Last edited by Oda112; 01-03-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Oda112 is offline  
Old 01-03-2018, 01:36 PM
  #12  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 33
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2014 E550 4Matic
Originally Posted by Oda112 View Post
The Brembo calipers are stock (on the pre facelift versions, 2009 - 2013), I think the rotors are Zimmerman (not 100% sure though). You can check by taking one of the front wheels off, the Brembo logo should be stamped on the caliper somewhere.
To be honest, I can't vouch for the Brembo rotors just yet, since they haven't been on the car for that long ( around 4k miles) and I'll have to look into them shuddering again. I recently went on a longer trip (2k miles) to the east coast and I think the shudder might be back ( either that or the roads, usually freeway exit ramps, were so uneven that the steering wheel would shake visibly when lightly braking between 60-35mph). I'll report back after more research and tests. At least I have a 2 year warranty on the rotors and pads, which is nice
That is good that you have warranty, please keep us updated as I want to change my rotors by spring time. I bought the oem pads a few months back so now they are sitting in my house. I just need rotors.
gunnerz101 is offline  
Old 01-03-2018, 06:12 PM
  #13  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
thefisch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: West Central Florida
Posts: 3,035
Thanked 293 Times in 252 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Other threads have mentioned good results with Akebono pads and Centric rotors.
thefisch is offline  
Old 01-03-2018, 07:06 PM
  #14  
Super Member
 
cocobeex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Vancouver B.C
Posts: 640
Thanked 37 Times in 32 Posts
2014 E550 4MATIC TUNED - Turbo Upgraded Stage 3
i m on Centric Posi Ceramic pads...

All i can say its amazing.....no visible brake dust.
It screams only from cold start, after that its super quiet on the road.

But i m not sure what rotors i am on, probably stock.
cocobeex is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to cocobeex For This Useful Post:
gunnerz101 (01-05-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 08:09 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
ghlkal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Fredonia, WI
Posts: 316
Thanked 26 Times in 24 Posts
2012 E550 v8-Biturbo
Originally Posted by VegasE View Post
Went non-OEM with EBC Red Stuff pads and EBC rotors. Very pleased with the dramatic increase in initial bite and after about 500 miles they are virtually dust free. No noise either.
I'm most concerned about noise. Are you in a cold weather winter area? Here in WI it's 0*F and my stock pads squeel in the cold.
ghlkal is offline  
Old 01-03-2018, 10:04 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Oda112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: TX
Posts: 321
Thanked 50 Times in 41 Posts
2010 W212 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by ghlkal View Post
I'm most concerned about noise. Are you in a cold weather winter area? Here in WI it's 0*F and my stock pads squeel in the cold.
Mine squeak too, it was around 19F when I started noticing it (Brembo rotors and pads). Initially I thought I might have installed something wrong, but now I think it's happening because I used the cheapo brake lube from Autozone, the one that comes in a small packet. I'll use the Mercedes OE one next time, it's only 20$ for the 100g tube.
Oda112 is offline  
Old 01-04-2018, 07:16 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Oda112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: TX
Posts: 321
Thanked 50 Times in 41 Posts
2010 W212 E550 4matic
Update:
Front Brembo rotors and pads are not a suitable replacement for the W212 E550 since they start shaking again after awhile, in my case it was around 4k miles. We had to drive today and I could definitely feel and see the steering wheel shake under light braking, the worst feeling would be around 40 to 30 mph. I've also looked at the rotors themselves and there seems to be some sort of heat related little dots on their surface .I will be returning them to Autozone and try and figure out what to get next.
Oda112 is offline  
Old 01-04-2018, 07:52 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Oda112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: TX
Posts: 321
Thanked 50 Times in 41 Posts
2010 W212 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by thefisch View Post
Other threads have mentioned good results with Akebono pads and Centric rotors.
I think that's going to be my next stop. I saw that they have cross drilled (OE style) and plain rotors. Also, on summit racing, the vented Centric rotors go for 103$ and on Carid they are 43$, that seems a little weird. Is Carid.com a reliable outfit?
At this point I'm a little concerned with drilled rotors since they tend to create grooving more easily and that leads to uneven pad pressure which leads deposits and eventually to steering wheel shudder, but at the same time I don't want to upset the look of the OE cross drilled rotors. Which one would you recommend?
Oda112 is offline  
Old 01-04-2018, 08:09 PM
  #19  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: V E G A S
Posts: 4,968
Thanked 429 Times in 406 Posts
E250 BTC/ E320 BTC SL500
Well,... how do you know you need new rotors in first place?
As I indicated above, mechanic routinely lie about it as rotors for them is heavy customer milking, while not much work added to pads replacement alone.
Each rotor by the law - has min thickness stamped on it. Invest 5 bucks in the tool and you will know the truth.

kajtek1 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to kajtek1 For This Useful Post:
hyperion667 (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 08:16 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Oda112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: TX
Posts: 321
Thanked 50 Times in 41 Posts
2010 W212 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by kajtek1 View Post
Well,... how do you know you need new rotors in first place?
As I indicated above, mechanic routinely lie about it as rotors for them is heavy customer milking, while not much work added to pads replacement alone.
Each rotor by the law - has min thickness stamped on it. Invest 5 bucks in the tool and you will know the truth.
I'm pretty sure that's the issue because that was the issue last time too. In September or October I replaced the OEM rotors and pads (they only had 8k miles on them) and the problem was gone until a few days ago ( around 4k miles on the new ones that I put in) when it came back. Even if there is runout, there's nothing I can do about it but to replace them anyway. I was hoping Brembo would do a better job than whatever MB uses as OE.
There's no money to be milked here, I'm doing the job myself, always have. I don't trust other mechanics, I've seem them work
Oda112 is offline  
Old 01-04-2018, 09:12 PM
  #21  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: V E G A S
Posts: 4,968
Thanked 429 Times in 406 Posts
E250 BTC/ E320 BTC SL500
I went back via your replies here and you have strange problems.
Once again, I sold 300k miles cars and even junk couple of cars with factory rotors on them, so for me -rotors lasting for 4k means something else is wrong.
You concluded brake noise becouse of cheap grease.
For last 8 years I installed several brake pads with no grease at all and they are quiet. I figured out making clean job is crucial and it works for me. No grease needed.
kajtek1 is offline  
Old 01-04-2018, 09:24 PM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Oda112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: TX
Posts: 321
Thanked 50 Times in 41 Posts
2010 W212 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by kajtek1 View Post
I went back via your replies here and you have strange problems.
Once again, I sold 300k miles cars and even junk couple of cars with factory rotors on them, so for me -rotors lasting for 4k means something else is wrong.
You concluded brake noise becouse of cheap grease.
For last 8 years I installed several brake pads with no grease at all and they are quiet. I figured out making clean job is crucial and it works for me. No grease needed.
I concur with your assessment, they are strange problems which shouldn't happen in the first place. I've been doing some reading of older posts too and apparently I'm not the only one with these kind of issues. I wish MBs were built like they were back in the day, when you could run a set of rotors for the life of the car, but that's not the case anymore. Apart from working in a controlled air environment, I think I've ticked all the proper workmanship boxes, but then again I can't argue against not making any mistakes while putting these pads and rotors together ( if that's what you are trying to suggest). I guess I'm no better than the MB techs who installed them last year, or, there's an issue with certain brake hardware manufacturers and/or the design of these rotors and pads ( why do they keep popping up mainly on the E550s?).
Also brake noise happens only when the car is slowing to a stop and only under very light braking in the cold weather ( it's been below 20s here lately).

Last edited by Oda112; 01-04-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Oda112 is offline  
Old 01-04-2018, 11:37 PM
  #23  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: San Antonio,TX
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
2011 MB E550 Sport Sedan
On my 2011 E550. About 5yrs ago I replaced front brakes once it start shuddering at 35k miles. I used Stoptech drill rotors by Centric and AutoZone Duralast Cmax ceramic pads. I have drove it for 50k miles problem free. The original pads which I notice was Akebono had cracks in them when I remove them. I believe MB change rotor supplier because parts number did change few yrs ago
HOE550 is offline  
Old 01-05-2018, 10:17 AM
  #24  
Member
 
VegasE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 181
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
2012 E350 sedan
Uh no

Originally Posted by ghlkal View Post
I'm most concerned about noise. Are you in a cold weather winter area? Here in WI it's 0*F and my stock pads squeel in the cold.
Surprise - I'm in Vegas. Research I've done on EBC Red Stuff is no squeal anywhere in the US but you will likely get squeal with their Yellow Stuff pads that are more track oriented.
VegasE is offline  
Old 01-05-2018, 10:20 AM
  #25  
Member
 
VegasE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 181
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
2012 E350 sedan
Lots of good pads out there

Originally Posted by thefisch View Post
Other threads have mentioned good results with Akebono pads and Centric rotors.
My son went with Akebono recently at an indy shop on his BMW but ran into an issue that the pads did not have wear sensors. So he had to find wear sensors that the shop then installed for free.
VegasE is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E550 Brakes and Rotors -- Front and Back


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: