E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Winter and the cold gremlins

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 12:29 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 S550
Winter and the cold gremlins

So it got down to -34 Celsius the other day here in Ottawa, Canada..( about -29 for my American friends) .No big deal, it's winter, its supposed to be cold......Hot tubbing then jumping into the snow, then quickly back into the hot tub. But for the first time my 2012 E550 really started to behave in a way I've never seen before....Nothing worked, Lane assist, Distronic etc...Normally it takes a few days for the air in my airmatic suspension to completely deflate, but on that particular day, my car was sitting on its back wheels within a few hours of parking....While sitting at a light, for the first time since Ive had my car it started to shudder...like the timing was all off, then I got a check engine light. I pulled over, turned it off, then restarted it....CEL was gone and it ran fine again...I notice my sun roof rattles in extreme cold, I get the message that my battery in my key fob needs to be replaced.....The car just gives me the impression it hates cold weather....What cold weather gremlins do you guys face?
Old 01-06-2018, 12:53 PM

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts
2010 W212 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by Maallen40
So it got down to -34 Celsius the other day here in Ottawa, Canada..( about -29 for my American friends) .No big deal, it's winter, its supposed to be cold......Hot tubbing then jumping into the snow, then quickly back into the hot tub. But for the first time my 2012 E550 really started to behave in a way I've never seen before....Nothing worked, Lane assist, Distronic etc...Normally it takes a few days for the air in my airmatic suspension to completely deflate, but on that particular day, my car was sitting on its back wheels within a few hours of parking....While sitting at a light, for the first time since Ive had my car it started to shudder...like the timing was all off, then I got a check engine light. I pulled over, turned it off, then restarted it....CEL was gone and it ran fine again...I notice my sun roof rattles in extreme cold, I get the message that my battery in my key fob needs to be replaced.....The car just gives me the impression it hates cold weather....What cold weather gremlins do you guys face?
Sounds about right, these cars definitely do not like the cold. The lowest I've driven mine in was -8 C (17F) and the only issue I had was the airmatic wouldn't come out of sport mode. Everything else was working fine though. Have you checked that CEL code? It should be stored even if it's not active anymore. I'm guessing MAF error.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:07 PM

2017 S550
Its going in for an oil and tranny oil change next week so I will deal with that code then....
Thanks
Old 01-06-2018, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts
2012 E550 v8-Biturbo
....Nothing worked, Lane assist, Distronic etc...

What cold weather gremlins do you guys face?
I have issues in the (very) cold also. WI hasn't been as cold as you, but it's been below 0*F most days for the past two weeks.
Each morning my parktronic freaks out -- it beeps like mad, and then the system turns itself off.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:10 AM

2017 S550
Mine does to when I put it into reverse...just beeps then shuts down...haha Its funny though, other than lane assist not functioning on snow packed roads my wife's 2017 Kia Sorento displays no problems what so ever and her car basically has the same safety systems as mine...except hers works....all the time....lol
Old 01-07-2018, 09:08 AM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
None
Its going in for an oil and tranny oil change next week so I will deal with that code then....
Thanks
Make sure you get a 0W oil. Better all round than a 5W, especially in the cold.
The following users liked this post:
Maallen40 (01-07-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 03:17 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
83 300sd, 88 560sl, 14 e550
Yep, At -5 after not starting for about 5 days noticed the front is lower than the back (had it raised when parked) , I get in push the start button...... Nothing 0. Pop the button off start with the key, starts up a little lazy but that's to be expected. All the lane assist, distronic, messages start flashing. I cleared the surround cams, and windshield sensor, let it warm up shut down and tried the push start again. started up no warnings. i have gotten the lo coolant message a few times after cold start but disappears after a few minutes. I think of my 550 like one of my kids Sometimes it just needs more attention.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:56 PM

2017 S550
Originally Posted by al300sd
Yep, At -5 after not starting for about 5 days noticed the front is lower than the back (had it raised when parked) , I get in push the start button...... Nothing 0. Pop the button off start with the key, starts up a little lazy but that's to be expected. All the lane assist, distronic, messages start flashing. I cleared the surround cams, and windshield sensor, let it warm up shut down and tried the push start again. started up no warnings. i have gotten the lo coolant message a few times after cold start but disappears after a few minutes. I think of my 550 like one of my kids Sometimes it just needs more attention.
lol....that's funny...the part about comparing your kids to the erratic behavior of your car....lol
Old 01-08-2018, 08:45 PM

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts
2010 W212 E550 4matic
lol....that's funny...the part about comparing your kids to the erratic behavior of your car....lol
Kinda makes sense to me, the only way to deal with these cars is to personify them, otherwise you'd realize they're too needy for what they offer. I like to joke about the "that time of the month" with mine, unfortunately lately, because of the cold, it's more like 90% of the month.