Ventilation parts - LEGO ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Ventilation parts - LEGO ?

Don't know what PO did with ventilation louvers, but looks like they had hammer-fingers and broke several pieces.
I was able to find all pieces on side vent and glued broken tabs to make it working, but the "forks" in lower center of the pictures are missing on center vents.
Small parts, not likely available separably anywhere but they change direction of air and are kind of important.
Anybody has an idea how this can be fixed?
I can buy center vent on ebay for about $100, what would be PITA to spend for 2 small pieces, but additionally what I can buy is from prelifted cars and I am not sure those pieces will fit.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,620 Likes on 1,189 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Oh man, sorry about that. Not sure you have any easy solution that you haven't already thought of. bummer
Old 01-12-2018, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for sympathy.
What makes me wonder - howcome ebay has plenty of parts for prelifted models, but none for postlifted.
Could it be that assist programs prevent accidents?
Old 01-12-2018, 12:10 PM

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts
2010 W212 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by kajtek1
Don't know what PO did with ventilation louvers, but looks like they had hammer-fingers and broke several pieces.
I was able to find all pieces on side vent and glued broken tabs to make it working, but the "forks" in lower center of the pictures are missing on center vents.
Small parts, not likely available separably anywhere but they change direction of air and are kind of important.
Anybody has an idea how this can be fixed?
I can buy center vent on ebay for about $100, what would be PITA to spend for 2 small pieces, but additionally what I can buy is from prelifted cars and I am not sure those pieces will fit.
Chumps like the ones who worked on your car are one of the reasons I avoid taking the car in to any shop/stealership, most of the time they don't know what they are doing or don't care because they are always in a hurry.
Do you think gluing them to the shaft they attach to would be a viable solution? That would probably mean that you won't be able to take them without breaking them even more, but it is the cheapest option I can think of.
Or you can manufacture the broken part from a piece of sturdy plastic, glue it on where the forks are missing and file it until it fits. Best scenario would be you own a 3d printer and like Fusion 360 or any other CAD software, or know someone who does.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 386 Likes on 315 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
If it were me, I would try rigging it up first with stuff like plastic fork tines and some glue/resin since you can't see that part anyway.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The part is too tiny to manufacture any replacement. I spend years in precision mechanics and I am very handy in those things, but you can't hand-file 1mm hinge.
I spend about 1/2 hr just putting together the pieces I was able to find for side vent. I guess factory procedure to install 4-way swing is install horizontal blades with pushrod, than slide the fork into place with bottom of the black bracket and lock it with silver cover.
Since I had to glue broken tabs, I had to do reverse engineering.
Anyway, found lifted part on Polish site and email the seller about shipping to USA.
Hope can get whole center assembly for less than $50, what would be good deal considering.