Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W212)
Distronic or Lighting Package >

Distronic or Lighting Package

Notices
E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Distronic or Lighting Package

 
Old 01-25-2018, 08:12 AM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SARASOTA FL
Posts: 149
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
2001 CLK320
Distronic or Lighting Package

Ok guys im looking at 3 white cars 2015 and 2016 E350. Each has one or the other Distronic or Lighting Package.. Which way would you go,,Thanks for your opinions
Lorenzo is offline  
Old 01-25-2018, 08:22 AM
  #2  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
KEY08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 3,315
Liked 364 Times in 341 Posts
2014 E550 4Matic Designo Diamond White and loaded up
Full LED package is sweet, but Distronic is a game changer. No contest
KEY08 is online now  
The following 2 users liked this post by KEY08:
pamiboy (02-07-2018), raja777m (01-25-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 08:37 AM
  #3  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
rediesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,293
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
2006 E320 CDI 2014 C63 507 Coupe 2012 E550 4M 2016 E63s Wagon
Tough decision. The distronic is more impressive, but depending on how much night driving you do the lighting may be more practical. I like my distronic more, but use the lighting more frequently (auto high beams, and active curve illumination are nice). What are the standard lights on 2015, 2016? Hold out for both.
rediesel is offline  
Old 01-25-2018, 08:47 AM
  #4  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SARASOTA FL
Posts: 149
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
2001 CLK320
Holding out for both could be a long way off cause they just arent out there. I been looking for 2 months. I want white with black interior 2015 or 2016, pano roof, keylessgo lighting,distronic etc.. The cars i found have one or the other when it comes to the distronic and lighting.
Lorenzo is offline  
Old 01-25-2018, 09:50 AM
  #5  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
KEY08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 3,315
Liked 364 Times in 341 Posts
2014 E550 4Matic Designo Diamond White and loaded up
2015-16 cars have LED lights as a starter and that isn't bad, plus I believe auto high beam is standard even on the base lighting package. I could be totally wrong on that one, however. lol
KEY08 is online now  
Old 01-25-2018, 11:32 AM
  #6  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 15
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
2016 Mercedes-Benz E250 W212
LED lighting package for sure. I have distronic+ & the lighting package on my 2016.I find that I use the distronic strictly on highway drives at night when not too many cars are on the road.
Its a personal preference but if I had to pick...it would be the lighting package. Either way, its an amazing car.
KAL.EL3000 is online now  
Old 01-25-2018, 12:00 PM
  #7  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SARASOTA FL
Posts: 149
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
2001 CLK320
wow this is a tough decision,,,everyone makes good points. i cant believe i cant find one with both. Theres a 2014 car that does but it has over 22k miles which isnt bad but its soon to go out of warranty and he is also at 2105 price on it so i kinda ruled that out.
Lorenzo is offline  
Old 01-25-2018, 12:12 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Oda112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: TX
Posts: 337
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
2010 W212 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by Lorenz320 View Post
Ok guys im looking at 3 white cars 2015 and 2016 E350. Each has one or the other Distronic or Lighting Package.. Which way would you go,,Thanks for your opinions
If you're doing a lot of highway driving Distronic is the way to go, otherwise I'd go with the lighting package. Sometimes, Distronic is annoying even on the highway, it's very cautious and leaves a big gap which other drivers usually take advantage of. Works well on the highways in the Midwest, but as soon as you get close to a city with more than 10k inhabitants it gets frustrating. It should have an italian mode setting to be efficient in real life scenarios.

Last edited by Oda112; 01-25-2018 at 12:27 PM.
Oda112 is online now  
Old 01-25-2018, 01:29 PM
  #9  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
KEY08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 3,315
Liked 364 Times in 341 Posts
2014 E550 4Matic Designo Diamond White and loaded up
^ I use it all the time in stop and go traffic in Chicago, so your city comment is flat out wrong. The thing is self-driving. It comes to a complete stop and accelerates all on it's own while traffic inches ahead. It is Tayler made for this situation. I agree on the open road it can leave a gap if you have the distance setting actuated further away.
KEY08 is online now  
Old 01-25-2018, 02:59 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Oda112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: TX
Posts: 337
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
2010 W212 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by KEY08 View Post
^ I use it all the time in stop and go traffic in Chicago, so your city comment is flat out wrong. The thing is self-driving. It comes to a complete stop and accelerates all on it's own while traffic inches ahead. It is Tayler made for this situation. I agree on the open road it can leave a gap if you have the distance setting actuated further away.
In my previous comment I was referring to crowded roads, a situation which is common on the highways surrounding bigger cities. If there are more than 20 cars around you on a 100yard axis (roughly 50 in front, 50 in the back) on a 4 or even 6 lane road, I find Distronic Plus ( on my 2010 W212) to be lacking,even on the closest following distance setting it takes too long to get up to speed if it brakes for whatever reason( someone merging in front of you, changing lanes rapidly, etc.). Maybe yours is better since it's newer, but mine won't start moving the car once it comes to a full stop, it needs an acceleration input(light tap of the throttle pedal). I don't know how you guys drive around in Chicago, but I've driven in and around St Louis a couple times and it's annoying when using DTR, people just jump in front of you because of the gap it leaves and that makes it brake and it's a vicious cycle unless you like driving in the slow lane. I did like it while cruising on the almost empty I64W/E and I75S/N but that's because people wouldn't be butting in front of you suddenly. I had it on my E60 BMW and it was the same general feel, again, for the older version. I find it useless in stop and go traffic, even uncomfortable, in my opinion it's too violent when applying the brakes in bumper to bumper traffic.
Oda112 is online now  
Old 01-25-2018, 03:31 PM
  #11  
Super Member
 
LemonSqueezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 844
Likes: 0
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
14 550 sedan
Haha when I was choosing my car it was either lighting package or distronic. I chose Lighting because I don't do very much highway runs which is where i think distronic will shine more.
LemonSqueezy is offline  
Old 01-25-2018, 03:42 PM
  #12  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
KEY08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 3,315
Liked 364 Times in 341 Posts
2014 E550 4Matic Designo Diamond White and loaded up
Originally Posted by Oda112 View Post
In my previous comment I was referring to crowded roads, a situation which is common on the highways surrounding bigger cities. If there are more than 20 cars around you on a 100yard axis (roughly 50 in front, 50 in the back) on a 4 or even 6 lane road, I find Distronic Plus ( on my 2010 W212) to be lacking,even on the closest following distance setting it takes too long to get up to speed if it brakes for whatever reason( someone merging in front of you, changing lanes rapidly, etc.). Maybe yours is better since it's newer, but mine won't start moving the car once it comes to a full stop, it needs an acceleration input(light tap of the throttle pedal). I don't know how you guys drive around in Chicago, but I've driven in and around St Louis a couple times and it's annoying when using DTR, people just jump in front of you because of the gap it leaves and that makes it brake and it's a vicious cycle unless you like driving in the slow lane. I did like it while cruising on the almost empty I64W/E and I75S/N but that's because people wouldn't be butting in front of you suddenly. I had it on my E60 BMW and it was the same general feel, again, for the older version. I find it useless in stop and go traffic, even uncomfortable, in my opinion it's too violent when applying the brakes in bumper to bumper traffic.
Distronic Plus is a different beast from earlier versions. It's not like you described at all. It is not violent. I could literally read the paper while in S n Go traffic around here. The dive bombers are rampant everywhere, but it does a easy brake check and doesn't slam on the brakes like my wife would do if she was driving. LOL
KEY08 is online now  
Old 01-25-2018, 04:01 PM
  #13  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,006
Liked 54 Times in 52 Posts
2014 E350 4M Diamond Silver
Originally Posted by Lorenz320 View Post
wow this is a tough decision,,,everyone makes good points. i cant believe i cant find one with both. Theres a 2014 car that does but it has over 22k miles which isnt bad but its soon to go out of warranty and he is also at 2105 price on it so i kinda ruled that out.
Get this with ELW for around 2500$..!
3 years/75k miles.

But 2016 distronic is more advanced than 2014 I guess. Please dig some more on that.
BTW, points to be noted:
2016: free map updates for one more year I guess.
Will be under factory warranty for two more years atleast.
Seats/comfort might be different than 2014.

Last edited by raja777m; 01-25-2018 at 04:03 PM.
raja777m is offline  
Old 01-25-2018, 04:02 PM
  #14  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 993
Liked 132 Times in 124 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
Originally Posted by Oda112 View Post
If you're doing a lot of highway driving Distronic is the way to go, otherwise I'd go with the lighting package. Sometimes, Distronic is annoying even on the highway, it's very cautious and leaves a big gap which other drivers usually take advantage of. Works well on the highways in the Midwest, but as soon as you get close to a city with more than 10k inhabitants it gets frustrating. It should have an italian mode setting to be efficient in real life scenarios.
Originally Posted by Oda112 View Post
In my previous comment I was referring to crowded roads, a situation which is common on the highways surrounding bigger cities. If there are more than 20 cars around you on a 100yard axis (roughly 50 in front, 50 in the back) on a 4 or even 6 lane road, I find Distronic Plus ( on my 2010 W212) to be lacking,even on the closest following distance setting it takes too long to get up to speed if it brakes for whatever reason( someone merging in front of you, changing lanes rapidly, etc.). Maybe yours is better since it's newer, but mine won't start moving the car once it comes to a full stop, it needs an acceleration input(light tap of the throttle pedal). I don't know how you guys drive around in Chicago, but I've driven in and around St Louis a couple times and it's annoying when using DTR, people just jump in front of you because of the gap it leaves and that makes it brake and it's a vicious cycle unless you like driving in the slow lane. I did like it while cruising on the almost empty I64W/E and I75S/N but that's because people wouldn't be butting in front of you suddenly. I had it on my E60 BMW and it was the same general feel, again, for the older version. I find it useless in stop and go traffic, even uncomfortable, in my opinion it's too violent when applying the brakes in bumper to bumper traffic.
I agree with you, wholeheartedly.
Originally Posted by Lorenz320 View Post
wow this is a tough decision,,,everyone makes good points. i cant believe i cant find one with both. Theres a 2014 car that does but it has over 22k miles which isnt bad but its soon to go out of warranty and he is also at 2105 price on it so i kinda ruled that out.
22k miles still isn't bad for a 2014. If you really have your heart set on BOTH options, then perhaps that one can re-enter as a valid contender. The warranty, I wouldn't be too concerned about. I can refer you to a guy who sells amazingly priced Fidelity warranties that are even better than the MB CPO warranty.
tresean1 is offline  
The following users liked this post: tresean1
raja777m (01-25-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 05:29 PM
  #15  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SARASOTA FL
Posts: 149
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
2001 CLK320
Well i think the guy who had that 2014 was overpriced so i decided to just go with the car that has most options including the lighting package but no distronic...Just working out details now
Lorenzo is offline  
Old 01-25-2018, 05:34 PM
  #16  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 993
Liked 132 Times in 124 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
Sweet, I just texted you. Good progress on that 2015. Call me later on and lemme know what he says about moving it.
tresean1 is offline  
Old 01-27-2018, 07:00 AM
  #17  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
AkaSigFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 3,057
Liked 40 Times in 36 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
Distronic
AkaSigFreak is offline  
Old 02-06-2018, 08:55 AM
  #18  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SARASOTA FL
Posts: 149
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
2001 CLK320
well i choose the lighting package. I picked up my new car last evening 2015 e350 white/black with 15k miles. I drove it back to pittsburgh and i have to say those adaptive lights are amazing. I do wanna thank everyone for all the feedback and especially Treason who helped with many phone calls and actually looked at the car for me. I met him before i left, great guy. Good thing i drove it home last night cause pittsburgh got snow this morning
Lorenzo is offline  
Old 02-06-2018, 09:13 AM
  #19  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 993
Liked 132 Times in 124 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
You are very welcome man!

Good choice you made there, and what a flawless beauty she is!! Welcome to world of white W212's.
Good meeting you too. Let me know if you decide to take it out in the snow and test out that 4Matic...lol.
tresean1 is offline  
Old 02-06-2018, 09:27 AM
  #20  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SARASOTA FL
Posts: 149
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
2001 CLK320
HAHA well i dont think im in a hurry to do that. Luckily i hve a second car up here in pittsburgh for bad weather.
Lorenzo is offline  
Old 02-06-2018, 01:11 PM
  #21  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
rediesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,293
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
2006 E320 CDI 2014 C63 507 Coupe 2012 E550 4M 2016 E63s Wagon
Originally Posted by Lorenz320 View Post
well i choose the lighting package. I picked up my new car last evening 2015 e350 white/black with 15k miles. I drove it back to pittsburgh and i have to say those adaptive lights are amazing. I do wanna thank everyone for all the feedback and especially Treason who helped with many phone calls and actually looked at the car for me. I met him before i left, great guy. Good thing i drove it home last night cause pittsburgh got snow this morning

Congrats on the new car. Enjoy!
rediesel is offline  
Old 02-07-2018, 11:43 AM
  #22  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,006
Liked 54 Times in 52 Posts
2014 E350 4M Diamond Silver
Congrats on the new ride.
Time to get ready with ELW information.
Get the lower package one 75kmiles/3 years instead of 100k one, since yours is low on mileage already. When is your factory warranty expiring?
raja777m is offline  
Old 02-07-2018, 05:59 PM
  #23  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SARASOTA FL
Posts: 149
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
2001 CLK320
Originally Posted by raja777m View Post
Congrats on the new ride.
Time to get ready with ELW information.
Get the lower package one 75kmiles/3 years instead of 100k one, since yours is low on mileage already. When is your factory warranty expiring?
my warranty expires in june of 19
Lorenzo is offline  
Old 02-08-2018, 10:42 AM
  #24  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 184
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
E250 Diesel
Full led lighting is awesome. My Lexus is not even close .
mellonc is offline  
Old 02-08-2018, 02:12 PM
  #25  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
cetialpha5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: MA
Posts: 3,364
Liked 351 Times in 314 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by Lorenz320 View Post
my warranty expires in june of 19
Well in the extended warranty subforum, there are vendors that will sell you an extended factory warranty for either 7/75 or 7/100k. They do discount it but I'm not sure if they will do it for FL residents as I think that state has a law that prohibits discounting warranties. I suppose you could have bought it when you bought the car when you were out of state.
cetialpha5 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Quick Reply: Distronic or Lighting Package


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: