E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Battery trickle charger/ tender and fuel stabilizer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 01:17 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 GTI, 2014 E350 Wagon, 2015 GL450, 2018 GLC300
Battery trickle charger/ tender and fuel stabilizer?

Due to a game of musical (too many) cars, my 2014 s212 needs to go on holiday in my garage while I drive the GL450.

I'm thinking using some fuel stabilizer and a trickle charger.

Q1- Can off the shelf fuel stabilizer like sta-bil be used with the car without impact to any fuel delivery components and engine?

Q2 - any AGM capable charger like a Noco 7.2A 12V charger be okay, or is there something special about the Mercedes trickle charger? Any impact to the economy start stop charging systems?

Any guidance or input is greatly appreciated
Old 02-08-2018, 07:17 AM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
2010 E350, Sold 1998 C230
Can't tell where you are from, guessing its not the US. If they use Ethanol in the gas than if the car is to sit for more than a few weeks, I would definitely put some type of stabilizer especially designed for ethanol in the tank. I am familiar with Sta-bil, but I dont think its specifically for Ethanol. But it cant hurt either.

One of the small trickle chargers should be fine. Don't think you need 7.2amps, to keep the battery up unless there is some sort of constant drain on it. And if the car is driven once every couple of weeks, you probably dont need to bother with any of this. YMMV
Old 02-08-2018, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,625 Likes on 1,192 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...y-storage.html

I never store a car long enough to consider fuel stabilizers. There are several posts regarding trickle charging and chargers. My preference is Ctek. I have the 3300 model. It has never let me down or destroyed the electronics when used.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,393 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
I have gasoline generator where fuel tank has open hole for venting and the gas is fine after a year.
2-years old gas was affecting performance, but the engine would still run on it.
So considering pressurized tank on MB and assuming you don't leave it exposed to baking sun, I would not worry about Stabil for a year.
Be careful with chargers. Lot of chargers can go to 16-18V, so never put one on the car unless you pull the clamp off.
For longer storage you want to use battery maintainer who has float switch at around 13.5 V but each charger is subject to malfunction, meaning risk.
Did not try it on W212 yet, but I had older MB models sitting with alarms on for 5 weeks and they still start on their own power. Last time we went on 3 months trip, I just pulled the clamps off on 3 cars at home. .
W212 remembers everything and I don't remember need for synchronizing anything.

Last edited by kajtek1; 02-08-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:38 AM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 342 Likes on 242 Posts
2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by kajtek1
I have gasoline generator where fuel tank has open hole for venting and the gas is fine after a year.
2-years old gas was affecting performance, but the engine would still run on it.
So considering pressurized tank on MB and assuming you don't leave it exposed to baking sun, I would not worry about Stabil for a year.
Be careful with chargers. Lot of chargers can go to 16-18V, so never put one on the car unless you pull the clamp off.
For longer storage you want to use battery maintainer who has float switch at around 13.5 V but each charger is subject to malfunction, meaning risk.
Did not try it on W212 yet, but I had older MB models sitting with alarms on for 5 weeks and they still start on their own power. Last time we went on 3 months trip, I just pulled the clamps off on 3 cars at home. .
W212 remembers everything and I don't remember need for synchronizing anything.
^^this.
If you just have to use a stabilizer, StaBil is fine. I've got a couple collector cars that don't see regular drives at times and I've used both standard and marine formulas.
I have Schumacher 1.5v maintainers on them as well as on a riding mower. Zero issues. Lots of folks use Ctek maintainers as well.
On daily drivers that for some reason get parked for a while like extended repairs etc I do nothing.