E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

May end up leaving E class.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
Unhappy May end up leaving E class.

I've had my new E class since 2014 without any real issues. We have an Acura SUV as well (also bought new) which has been quite useful for us in these years. But now due to my growing family, I had to buy another larger car, actually a minivan and things are getting squeezed up in the garage (and wallet). As it goes one of the cars may end up being kicked out and I'm afraid it might be the E class . This stems from the greater utility of these cars versus a sedan. I feel so sad to even think about letting go of my favorite car (actually the first one which I bought brand new in my name). It has about 29K miles, the warranty was about to expire and therefore I had bought ELW as well. This forum has been of invaluable support and great reference point for me in the last several years. I will probably make a decision in the next few months and see where I stand and keep you updated. Thank you all in advance.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
How about get rid of the SUV and the E and trade for an E Class wagon?
The following 2 users liked this post by PUZZ1:
pliukait (02-25-2018), raja777m (02-12-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 643 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Sorry to see you go if you decide to get rid of the E. Let us know what you get for the E with 29K if you decide yo let it go.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:07 AM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
2016 E350 wagon
Originally Posted by PUZZ1
How about get rid of the SUV and the E and trade for an E Class wagon?
I love my E Wagon but don't think it has the hauling capacity of the SUV. I'd think you'd have to go to GLE or GLS to really be comparable. Maybe find some nice ML or GL through CPO.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
Originally Posted by rey_winslow
I love my E Wagon but don't think it has the hauling capacity of the SUV. I'd think you'd have to go to GLE or GLS to really be comparable. Maybe find some nice ML or GL through CPO.
That was what I was thinking too. If I had gotten a GLE in the first place instead of an E class that could have stayed in the garage. Now selling off two cars and buying a third one is too much of a transaction in my opinion.I might lose a couple grand in each transaction. Don’t get me wrong I love the E class but prefer the ride of an SUV for my current conditions. The best of an E class comes out in a highway while doing long distances, or if doing shorter trips on a hurry . Now if I were going longer distances I have to take my family with me and therefore don’t get to use E class. Compared to my other cars the E has an unbeatable build quality, quiet interior and of course the snob value. I was planning to keep my E class for quarter of a century, but will see how it goes.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
Originally Posted by rey_winslow
The E wagon actually has slightly more space behind the 2nd row seats than the GLE/ML. If you want to go larger than the E wagon in the MB family, you'll have to go GL/GLS.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Sorry to see you go if that what ends up happening. Honestly, I miss our old minivan - that thing was a godsend for roadtrips.

Remember, you can get the ELW refunded since it hasn't gone in effect yet.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Sorry to hear you might lose the E. Current sales figures indicate that between trucks, SUV's and CUV's, the sedan is really going down in US. One reason why some companies really do not do much to update their sedan models.
As for a replacement, no M-B SUV compares to the E in reliability or build quality, unfortunately. If looking for a vehicle that is practical, reliable and affordable, may need to search beyond the Euro luxury models.
As you said though, the E and M-B do have "snob value." Anyone who says differently is deceiving themselves.
Good luck on your search.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:00 PM

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts
'76 Triumph TR6, '14 W212 Sport, '09 Audi S5 4.2
After having multiple SUVs and a minivan I have to say I'll never go back. Even after having an MB SUV as a loaner for a while, no way. We rarely, if ever, used that much cargo capacity. The constant rocking of your head back and forth was infuriating. IT took me YEARS to figure out what it was about the ride of SUVs that I hated, and that's it. It hit me like an epiphany one day. They soften up the suspension so it's cushy for the soccer moms, but the center of gravity is still way high, so every time you change directions, even slightly, your upper body is thrown left and right. Even just changing lanes. This was with two Grand Cherokees (solid axles / stiffest suspension, best looking, most powerful, ergonomics unmatched by anything before or since, even the MBs), a Murano (the softest and most carlike, but also a total piece of cheap garbage and an ergonomic travesty and I will never buy another Nissan product of any kind ever again) and a 350 series MB loaner for a few weeks (can't recall if it was a G or M). This car was the first one in a long time that we really decided what we wanted, then went out and shopped for it. I'll never buy another SUV again after having it. I have my pickup truck and that'll be good enough when I need cargo capacity, either with or without the kids.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
My wife prefers SUV to sedan. Her SUV is a 2014 Nissan Rogue SL. Very nice and rides much better than my E350, even with the luxury comfort suspension. Dealer has checked it and same as when came from factory. The Rogue is super quiet compared to the E as well. It has been extremely reliable and cheap to maintain. All the bells and whistles work fine.
Incidentally, the new Rogues (not Rogue Sport) are much larger than before. About the size of previous Murano.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 171 Posts
2010 e550 p2
Loved 2017 bmw x5 loaner my girl had for a week. Best suv ive tried with real nice handling and perfect suspension.
(there are multiple suspension options , and any but the basic one is great) if i sell my E , thats probably something i would try next.
i dont know if any of mercedes SUVs got that feeling.. unless AMG most likely.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,378 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
There is back story to SUV.
We had our beloved ML320 in W163 body (build on frame).
When we loved the versatility and towing capacity, ride was good (not great) my wife got rear ended in it , when driver of BMW X5 was checking baby on rear seat and smacked her at about 40 mph at red light.
ML was impressive at first look, when after being being 1st smacked in 5-cars pile up, did drive home, but my wife ended up with permanent spine injury.
The hard frame transfers the impact on humans inside.