Help with DTC P24AF

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w124036
Help with DTC P24AF

Hi all,

I recently purchased my first MB, a 1992 MB 500E so I am not very familiar with MB at all. Currently, I am helping my friend with his 2014 MB E250D because its check engine light is illuminated. Using my OBD2 scanner, I read DTC P0426 and P24AF from his car. We fixed P0426 by replacing the catalytic converter EGT sensor but P24AF remains. I have no idea what P24AF means so I purchased MB WIS hoping it would be a collection of repair manuals so that I can easily look up the DTC as well as its diagnostic procedure. I now found out that the MB WIS is quite the opposite from what I imagined and that it is tailored for MB mechanics.

Is anyone able to help me navigate the WIS so that I can find the DTC with its associated inspection procedures ?
I appreciate your time,
David
Old 02-11-2018, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
http://www.obdiicsu.com/p24af.html this is the best I can find on google.
I advise you to get MB-specific scanner for this.
I had similar, maybe even exact problem on my E250 and my MaxiEcu gave me description to replace Ox sensor.
I replaced it and the CEL was still on with AddBlue start count.
I finally took it to dealer and turn out the car has 2 identical Ox sensor, one on top, the other bottom of DPF for total of 4 sensors on single exhaust
Obviously with my luck I replaced good sensor as my scanner did not give me good description.
What I am getting to is that without car-specific scanner you are working blindfolded.
Those sensors require SCN coding, meaning MB subscription.
There is movement to push rights to repair your own vehicles in US, so if you are interested in joining- PM for the address.

Last edited by kajtek1; 02-11-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w124036
Originally Posted by kajtek1
http://www.obdiicsu.com/p24af.html this is the best I can find on google.
I advise you to get MB-specific scanner for this.
I had similar, maybe even exact problem on my E250 and my MaxiEcu gave me description to replace Ox sensor.
I replaced it and the CEL was still on with AddBlue start count.
I finally took it to dealer and turn out the car has 2 identical Ox sensor, one on top, the other bottom of DPF for total of 4 sensors on single exhaust
Obviously with my luck I replaced good sensor as my scanner did not give me good description.
What I am getting to is that without car-specific scanner you are working blindfolded.
Those sensors require SCN coding, meaning MB subscription.
There is movement to push rights to repair your own vehicles in US, so if you are interested in joining- PM for the address.
kajtek1, thanks for your reply. I will look into the Particulate Matter Sensor.

Also, are you saying that DTCs pulled through the OBDII port do not accurately represent the actual malfunctions ? I was under the impression that on a car with multiples of the same sensor in different locations, there are corresponding DTCs to each sensor at each location. Am I misinformed about this ? If so, I guess the only way to determine what is actually malfunctioning is with the Mercedes SDS correct ?

I did some research on SCN coding and I am not sure that I fully understand. You are saying that some sensors need to be coded with the vehicles VIN or else they will cause an error code ?