E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

7G plus transmission behavior. Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E350 Wagon
7G plus transmission behavior. Is this normal?

Hi all, have a few questions about our 2014 E350 wagon's transmission.

Less than thrilled with the shifting performance. Wanted to see if you all had observed the following things and if so, if you've had them ironed out by a software update.

1) Jerky shifting happens between shifts 1 through 4. When shifting, it's like the transmission slips smoothly for 3/4 of the rpm drop, but drops suddenly for the rest before catching. Kind of like letting the clutch out a tiny bit early for an up shift with a manual tranny.
2) If I slam on the throttle in a lower gear at lower rpms, the rpms jump to 3000 and slips for a second or so before the rpms rise like the engine and wheels are coupled.
3) When accelerating at a low rpm in a middle gear, the acceleration is not smooth and "bounces" just the tiniest amount. It's similar to accelerating with a manual transmission when the engine is on the verge of lugging. I've not experienced this with an automatic before.

Have you guys noticed any of this? Does anybody have an idea when the most recent software update was released for this transmission? I wonder if Mercedes is still trying to improve the performance of this transmission or if they've simply moved on I'm taking the car in for service tomorrow and will bring this up if you guys don't think this is normal. Car has warranty left. I know this transmission is not considered to be one of Mercedes' best, so if this is just the way it is, I'll deal with it and not risk getting dinged for a diagnostic fee for something that they don't consider to be wrong (and covered by warranty).

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2018, 11:36 AM

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts
2010 W212 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by Lpwagon
Hi all, have a few questions about our 2014 E350 wagon's transmission.

Less than thrilled with the shifting performance. Wanted to see if you all had observed the following things and if so, if you've had them ironed out by a software update.

1) Jerky shifting happens between shifts 1 through 4. When shifting, it's like the transmission slips smoothly for 3/4 of the rpm drop, but drops suddenly for the rest before catching. Kind of like letting the clutch out a tiny bit early for an up shift with a manual tranny.
2) If I slam on the throttle in a lower gear at lower rpms, the rpms jump to 3000 and slips for a second or so before the rpms rise like the engine and wheels are coupled.
3) When accelerating at a low rpm in a middle gear, the acceleration is not smooth and "bounces" just the tiniest amount. It's similar to accelerating with a manual transmission when the engine is on the verge of lugging. I've not experienced this with an automatic before.

Have you guys noticed any of this? Does anybody have an idea when the most recent software update was released for this transmission? I wonder if Mercedes is still trying to improve the performance of this transmission or if they've simply moved on I'm taking the car in for service tomorrow and will bring this up if you guys don't think this is normal. Car has warranty left. I know this transmission is not considered to be one of Mercedes' best, so if this is just the way it is, I'll deal with it and not risk getting dinged for a diagnostic fee for something that they don't consider to be wrong (and covered by warranty).

Thanks!
Mine does the same thing, but it's the normal 7G, not the +. The + was supposed to be smoother and quicker, but from what you're saying it's not such a big improvement afterall.
Does yours behave different (better) once it warms up? Mine does. When it's cold I can feel the 1st to 2nd shift and 3rd to 4th, but once it warms up the only times I feel any of the shifts is when I floor it ( and a very light 3rd to 4th on moderate acceleration, but I'm being told by the wife it's just in my head). The reason for that 3000 apparent slip is the fact that the 722.9 is designed to jump one or two gears on downshifts and/or upshifts. My guess is that it takes a little time to build up ATF pressure and balance the engine power output with the load on the gearbox so that it could give you (in theory at least) a smoother shift. Mine doesn't always manage that, sometimes it feels like someone hit the back of the car with a big hammer, other times it's an adequate, linear acceleration.
Definitely ask for a TCM software upgrade if it's available. Some reported seeing improvement after the update.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
I don't have those issues, I had rough down shifts from 6 or 7 down to 3 or 4. i.e. when slowing down from highway speeds to exit ramp speeds, get a rough shift and clunk noise. After 3 or 4 software updates, it's mostly resolved now. Still happens once in a while, but is significantly reduced.
Shifting up is smooth and immediate most of the time in E mode, in S mode if you have the accelerator all the way down, you can feel the shift, but it's quick and not jerky. This is in a 2013 E350 wagon with the 7G+
Old 02-22-2018, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
My 2014 had this intermittent issue which was similar. Mostly while upshifting from 4th-5th gear it felt poorly rev matched and occasionally while slowing down on an upwards incline at low speeds iir felt like some car hit it from behind. My dealership performed the software update and the problem has mostly disappeared. Still once in a blue moon I feel some mild jerks but it is so rare so that I can ignore it.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:37 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
E350
Angry

I sometime have the problem up shifting from 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 not smooth shifting. The worst was on the down shift from 4 to 3. It does feel like someone hit u from behind. These happened about once or twice a week. Went to the dealer about this today, they can't reproduce the problem. Service adviser told me there is a firmware update on the transmission, but they will only update if they can reproduce the problem.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:31 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
'11 E350 4Matic Sport
On #1 I think you are feeling the lockup of the torque converter which I believe can lockup in all forward gears and it is pretty aggressive in that it locks up as early as possible, I have had moments of light-medium throttle acceleration where there may only be 1-2 seconds unlocked operation before the lockup clutch kicks in. Do you see a 200-300 RPM drop when the jerkiness happens?
Old 09-06-2018, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
I do not have that with my 2012 E. I also did the TCU reset and also tranny flush as well.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:11 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
E350
Originally Posted by pezzy669
On #1 I think you are feeling the lockup of the torque converter which I believe can lockup in all forward gears and it is pretty aggressive in that it locks up as early as possible, I have had moments of light-medium throttle acceleration where there may only be 1-2 seconds unlocked operation before the lockup clutch kicks in. Do you see a 200-300 RPM drop when the jerkiness happens?
Why yes. I can see it's from like 2000 or 2200 rpm down to around 1400 rpm on the next gear with light acceleration. Any solution? Any long term harm to the transmission/torque converter? Will a transmission oil service help? I don't mind paying for it to get rid of the annoyance.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,718 Likes on 1,102 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
First, try resetting the adaptive transmission. Here is a thread with the procedure... https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ton-start.html

Last edited by DFWdude; 09-06-2018 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 e320 bluetec
My wife's car had the similar problems. Shifting was lack luster. She has the 2014 e350. CPO replaced torque converter and valve body. Auxillary battery replacement was pricey, $429.00. Car shifts and runs night and day difference. better fuel economy.