MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Steering wheel (what makes it vibrate) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/699696-steering-wheel-what-makes-vibrate.html)

95viper 03-02-2018 04:24 PM

Lorenzo, What are you doing with the original one plugs airbag?

Lorenzo 03-02-2018 04:26 PM

Well I've been just thinking about keeping it for whenever I sell the car. But I do still have the other steering wheel for sale the one with the flat bottom. The flat bottom steering wheel is the way to go

threeMBs 03-02-2018 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Lorenzo (Post 7394888)
But I do still have the other steering wheel for sale the one with the flat bottom.

What year/model/trim was it originally installed in and does it have shift paddles?

Lorenzo 03-02-2018 06:55 PM

It was removed from a 2013 C63 w204. No it does not have shift paddles. Alot of these steering wheels are interchangable

Lorenzo 03-04-2018 08:14 AM

In case anyone is wandering. The airbag that i removed from the 2013 w204 flat bottom steering wheels fits perfectly in the steering wheel that i put on my 2015 w212 E350. The steering wheels are identical

drdantheman1 03-04-2018 01:37 PM

If I buy a new steering wheel that was for a car without lane departure (does not have vibrating motor), to put into my car which does have lane departure, will I be able to transfer over the motor to the new steering wheel?

JohnnyC 03-04-2018 03:08 PM

Within the steering wheel, there lies a circuit board assembly (also called contact plate) There is one male outgoing wire connector and 5 female connector.

You need to transfer the contact plate with the feature to the new wheel along with the motor

Lorenzo 03-05-2018 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by JohnnyC (Post 7396162)
Within the steering wheel, there lies a circuit board assembly (also called contact plate) There is one male outgoing wire connector and 5 female connector.

You need to transfer the contact plate with the feature to the new wheel along with the motor

yes thats exactly what i had to do to. Its very easy. Only a matter of 3 screws for that contact plate and 2 screws for the vibrator. Lift out and in the new steering wheel you go. Everything worked out perfectly for me. Im really happy i did this.....I want to add this if you go from a round steering wheel to a flat bottom, you have to get a different vibrator. The vibrator in a flat bottom steering wheel is a little bit longer. But thats easy too because they are only $65 new.....If anyone needs help or has questions id be happy to explain over the phone to, Just send a pm,Thanks

raja777m 03-05-2018 02:23 PM

noob question:
Will the 2017 E-class W213 steering with that Capacitive touch style (touch Control) steering wheels fit our W212? Will the whole fitment is different from the steering column?
Thanks.

JohnnyC 03-05-2018 03:15 PM

No, the current cut off for backwards compatibility is the 2018 GLE, A, B, GLA, GLS, CLA, SL, SLC, or older cars. 2017 CLS or older.

W222, W205, or W213 will not work

raja777m 03-07-2018 10:08 AM

I found this one online, grey and burl walnut which are a match for my car.

It comes with "with lane assist and vibration motor..". However the seller says the existing airbag is a fit.
The price is around 1000USD, is this a good buy? and how hard is replacing wit no experience in steering wheel replacement?
Thanks.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...d149629dc4.jpg
he sent me this when I asked for a part number and he says he worked for dealer for over 10 years..!
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...33cc6d227c.jpg

JohnnyC 03-07-2018 03:25 PM

In terms of difficulty, steering wheel replacement is not difficult nor time consuming. You can do a complete change over in under 20 minutes I estimate.

As for pricing, $1000 is about a fair deal for a completely new one. However, keep in mind if you shop around the internet you can find new (or used) steering wheels even cheaper. These steering wheels are nearing few years old and they are just sitting around in inventory.

raja777m 03-07-2018 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyC (Post 7398808)
In terms of difficulty, steering wheel replacement is not difficult nor time consuming. You can do a complete change over in under 20 minutes I estimate.

As for pricing, $1000 is about a fair deal for a completely new one. However, keep in mind if you shop around the internet you can find new (or used) steering wheels even cheaper. These steering wheels are nearing few years old and they are just sitting around in inventory.

Thanks for the reply, I tried searching for them for few months already, but couldn't find the perfect match to the dashboard and the wood trim.

I'll read over the instructions on how to change few times before even starting.

Thanks.

Lorenzo 03-21-2018 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by JohnnyC (Post 7398808)

yea the guy i bought mine from was asking 1100 and i ended up buying it for 800 so i was happy with that. I still have the black leather flat bottom one for sale really nice shape

drdantheman1 03-21-2018 08:59 AM

If anyone's interested, I actually have a brand new OEM w212 steering wheel listed on ebay right now. I bought it to replace mine because the plastic trim cover on it was peeling, but the dealer was able to get that steering wheel cover replaced under warranty so now I just have the extra steering wheel sitting around.

JohnnyGrand 08-09-2019 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Lorenzo (Post 7396606)
yes thats exactly what i had to do to. Its very easy. Only a matter of 3 screws for that contact plate and 2 screws for the vibrator. Lift out and in the new steering wheel you go. Everything worked out perfectly for me. Im really happy i did this.....I want to add this if you go from a round steering wheel to a flat bottom, you have to get a different vibrator. The vibrator in a flat bottom steering wheel is a little bit longer. But thats easy too because they are only $65 new.....If anyone needs help or has questions id be happy to explain over the phone to, Just send a pm,Thanks

Hello,

I have a 2014 Mercedes E550 with the normal black leather steering wheel but with a flat bottom. I’m looking for a burl walnut with either a flat bottom or full circle I don’t care. Where did you get your parts? Also, will my flat bottom steering wheel airbag work on a normal full circle wheel on the wood steering wheel. Thanks for you posts they are helping me a lot. I found someone on EBay who has a burl walnut round steering wheel but I don’t know if it will fit?

Lorenzo 08-09-2019 09:34 AM

For anyone else interested i got my steering wheel from this guy>> It was awhile agoso i dont know if he can still get them.http://www.ebay.com/usr/akalincardes...72.m2749.l2754