E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Command upgrade replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 coupe
Command upgrade replacement

Hi I just purchased my first MB! it's an E350 coupe 2011.I love the car but I found Command to be very dated.
I was considering aftermarket head units or upgrade command to the latest version (if there is one).
Anyone have experience with it? I didn't have much success finding a unit compatible with my car model.
My main issues is that I can't play music from my iphone and the calls get disconnected if I shut down the car (instead of just transferthe call back to the iphone speaker).
It will also be nice to have a USB port for charging and the ability to install Waze/google maps instead of some old school navi system.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:25 PM

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
The car you have is a C207 if it is the 2 door Coupe rather than the W212. Swapping out the Comand unit for another Comand one that does what you are looking for will be very expensive (Circa £1k). You may be better off looking at the Android screen people are starting to get. Partially this depends on whether you are RHD or LHD as to whether the adaptor is available yet for it. These units are int the £350 range.
The following users liked this post:
akrief (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 coupe
Originally Posted by 400ixl
The car you have is a C207 if it is the 2 door Coupe rather than the W212. Swapping out the Comand unit for another Comand one that does what you are looking for will be very expensive (Circa £1k). You may be better off looking at the Android screen people are starting to get. Partially this depends on whether you are RHD or LHD as to whether the adaptor is available yet for it. These units are int the £350 range.
I own the C207 RWD, any recommended model, as everything I found so far was for C209 or other models .
Old 04-14-2018, 04:41 PM

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...installed.html
The following users liked this post:
raja777m (04-16-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 09:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz E350 4Matic Sedan
Originally Posted by akrief
Hi I just purchased my first MB! it's an E350 coupe 2011.I love the car but I found Command to be very dated.
I was considering aftermarket head units or upgrade command to the latest version (if there is one).
Anyone have experience with it? I didn't have much success finding a unit compatible with my car model.
My main issues is that I can't play music from my iphone and the calls get disconnected if I shut down the car (instead of just transferthe call back to the iphone speaker).
It will also be nice to have a USB port for charging and the ability to install Waze/google maps instead of some old school navi system.
There are a bunch of things you are trying to do here, so let me take one thing at a time:
  1. Upgrading Comand: Likely not possible, and if by some miracle it is, then it will be very expensive, labor intensive, and will require a ton of coding
  2. Upgrading the screen to the 10.25 Android screen: Again, it depends on whether your car is LHD vs RHD (for the bracket). You should send your detailed question about this screen to Chris (user ID chris_the_swede) and he will be able to definitively answer this question. As it relates to the screen functionality itself, and the apps it can run, etc. be sure to read through the two threads on this topic, so you can set your expectations. For example - dont expect this screen to be a Galaxy S9-type experience built into an MB screen; this will be more like a Galaxy s4, at best. That said, if this screen works with your car, then its the best option that is available for the time being (the screen does Google Maps and Waze)
  3. BT music: If all you want to do is play music off your iPhone, in your car, then consider getting this instead -
    Amazon Amazon
    It plugs into your MMI port (I'm assuming your car has one), and once plugged in and connected, you will have full control via the existing head-unit and steering wheel controls (even Spotify, Pandora, etc. will behave like a connected "iPod").
  4. Phone calls disconnecting on BT disconnect: This is weird behavior.... might need more info before suggesting any fixes
Hope this helps.