Dash Cams?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 930 Likes on 658 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by elohite
I was like yourself; I wanted a dash camera for about $100 bucks. My requirements were discreet, good video quality, and expandable storage. I ended up getting this camera DDPai Mini2P 1440P from Amazon and have it hardwired with a micro usb cable kit to the cigarette power in the glove box (along with my radar detector). All the wiring is tucked into the headliner so no exposed wires. DIY install takes about 1 hour or so. This one is WIFI based and only records when the car is turned on (DDPai does have other models with the records when parked or when it senses impacts if you're wanting those features). A cool feature I like is that this includes a small wireless button remote that when you press it takes a screenshot and then records a video clip for a preset amount of time (that you can choose). Helpful for being able to take a picture and make a video clip on a moments notice. I know there are a lot of options out there but having used this for the past 2-3 months it has been all I could want in a dash cam while not spending an unreasonable amount. P.S. The pic I posted from the camera wasn't at the highest quality. I should probably change the settings lol.

I have a Garmin dash cam that I bought from Bass Pro Shop. Checking internet and it seems Garmin does not have my model anymore but it has been a good one for about $100.

I installed my camera where your radar detector is for the reason that some police do not like the camera and they can give you a ticket claiming it is in your line of sight when it is installed on the driver's side of the mirror. This is BS as you probably will not be looking much up thru the area where it is but still you can get a ticket for it if a wrong cop wants to do that and you have no chance fighting it.

Also, recording voice can lead to very serious issues with cops so either disable voice recording (mine does not even have option to record voice) or place visible stickers around the car indicating voice recording is present.

My radar detector is in the far left corner of the dash behind the car inspection sticker on the windshield that we have here in Louisiana. Wiring I did using the power outlet in the clove box that 2010 and 2011 models have. Camera wiring tucked under the roof liner and the detector wire in the crack between bottom of windshield and the dash. I have not experienced any issue with air flow from the vents where the wire runs over them.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:08 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
2012 E550 Cabriolet 2011 VW Eos 1985 Pininfarina Spider
I just picked up two Anker C1 for $15 each at Walmart. Seems OK. It has wifi and seems to have good quality. It also has parking record, with an inboard rechargeable battery so it doesn't need constant power. I'm working on a mount right now for my wife's car and will then hard wire it.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 ML350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by djrabbi
Any good dash cams worth buying right now? I don't want to spend more than a $100 but maybe I will have too. I keep hearing horror stories of accidents or hit and runs... I want to have something on at all times... Thanks!
Remember, you get what you pay for...If you need to capture a license tag clearly you really need a higher quality camera with a large sensor. You just can't buy a good quality camera for $100. It's a shame that there aren't any insurance companies that provide a discount for car insurance for having a dashcam.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:55 AM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 342 Likes on 242 Posts
2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
You can get decent quality for less $$, as I mentioned based on actual experience. But to each his own.

Originally Posted by Mud
Disagree completely - we captured the hit and run vehicle tag clearly with our cheapie camera. Also got several other vehicle details. Clearly.
Technology change is absolutely a changing animal, I'm lucky to get a glimpse as it rushes by.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:31 PM

2014 ML350 4MATIC
Smile

Originally Posted by Mud
You can get decent quality for less $$, as I mentioned based on actual experience. But to each his own.
Oh, I understand your point. You certainly can get decent quality for less $$. No argument there. I've tried out many dashcams over the years. Depending on various lighting conditions, speed, camera reliability, etc will also be reflected in the camera price. I once had a relatively cheap camera in a car a few years back and it was hit while in "parking mode." I thought that I was safe and then to my chagrin that the camera was not recording. Apparently it overheated. I learned my lesson the hard way.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:55 PM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 342 Likes on 242 Posts
2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
Thats a good point about the heat. I've noticed that there are certain "capacitor" units that are more readily able to take the heat. To be honest I wonder here after several years now when failure will happen. Summer heat is really hard on anything up under that glass.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:30 PM

2014 ML350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Mud
Thats a good point about the heat. I've noticed that there are certain "capacitor" units that are more readily able to take the heat. To be honest I wonder here after several years now when failure will happen. Summer heat is really hard on anything up under that glass.
I guess that another thing to be aware of is I think that it's a bad idea to use a windshield sun shade with a dashcam installed. I would think that excess heat would become trapped between the sunshade and the windshield.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:38 PM

2014 ML350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Gee_115
This is why I need a dash cam with good parking options. Some a**hole got me and took off. I came out after work to find this. I parked so far away from everyone, I don't know why someone would leave all those spaces and come next to me. I even parked on the line on the drivers side because I knew anyone backing out would likely hit me on the passenger side.

I've also been getting a lot of hate on the road. A few dirty looks, a few guys flipped me off for no apparent reason, and two people fake swerved as I approached. I don't know what's the deal, maybe cause I'm young driving a CLS. My wife thought I was paranoid until she witnessed it. Anyone else experienced this?
Lots of haters on the road. It's so hard to have a decent vehicle and keep it in good shape while at the same time not attracting haters...SMH