E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Eyeing a 2012 E350 wagon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VW GTI
Eyeing a 2012 E350 wagon

New to the forum and I had a few questions. I did search but the results were all over the place and figured I can ask a few questions and have a central point for answers. I'm currently driving a 2013 GTI but have been eyeing a E350 wagon. I'm getting older (36 going on 37) work a Director level position and just feel like I need a little bit something more grown up.
I despise SUVs, and not bit into sedans which is the reason my current GTI is the third one in over 12 years, which is the reason I'm eyeing a E350 wagon. I wanted to see if the direct injected E350s suffer from timing chain and carbon deposit issues. These two issues are quite common on the 2.0T engines that are in the GTI to the point were some engines blow at 60k miles due to timing chain having jumped multiple teeth. I'm aware that the new Mercedes aren't the same as the ones from the 80s that you still see driving around but I would like to be able to keep it for 10+ years if possible.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
I have not read much about timing chain or carbon issue on the M276 engine. My own 2013 E350 wagon has been almost flawless. I think the E class is one of the most reliable MB vehicles. and there are so many of the M276 engines out there we would've heard more if there is a design issue with the timing chain or carbon build up.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
W212 E350 estate, VW Cabrio VRT, BMW X3
Part of the reason I went with a 2011. I have had mine 6 months. I love it. I drove a 13 and really didn't notice the uptick in horse power.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 617 Likes on 388 Posts
2014 E350 4-matic Sport & 2020 GLS450
I have my 2014 E350 sedan for 2 main reasons (1) I felt much the same as you re: mature car, age (44), job level (SVP), and feeling need for a cruiser, and (2) I simply did not want to give up my 2015 VW GTI (also my 3rd in a row following an 07 and 13). I went to trade the GTI last summer for a new Toureq Executive that was heavily discounted. All was lining up until the trade value on my GTI (flawless, loaded, 32k miles). That’s when I realized what the subprime lending world has done to the automotive world. No way was I going to give away my beloved GTI. So went CPO shopping instead and lead me right to my Benz. Bought it with 22k miles as a CPO one year ago. Just drove it 1,500 miles on a road trip. Back in the office today - and guess what I drove this morning? Yep, my little pocket rocket GTI.

If if you can swing it - keep both! You’ll miss that GTI my friend, I promise you. Not saying the Benz isn’t much nicer, but two totally different cars that are masters at what they do. Perfect combo.

End of the day - I have both for about 80% of what that Toureq was going to cost.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VW GTI
Originally Posted by nc211
I have my 2014 E350 sedan for 2 main reasons (1) I felt much the same as you re: mature car, age (44), job level (SVP), and feeling need for a cruiser, and (2) I simply did not want to give up my 2015 VW GTI (also my 3rd in a row following an 07 and 13). I went to trade the GTI last summer for a new Toureq Executive that was heavily discounted. All was lining up until the trade value on my GTI (flawless, loaded, 32k miles). That’s when I realized what the subprime lending world has done to the automotive world. No way was I going to give away my beloved GTI. So went CPO shopping instead and lead me right to my Benz. Bought it with 22k miles as a CPO one year ago. Just drove it 1,500 miles on a road trip. Back in the office today - and guess what I drove this morning? Yep, my little pocket rocket GTI.

If if you can swing it - keep both! You’ll miss that GTI my friend, I promise you. Not saying the Benz isn’t much nicer, but two totally different cars that are masters at what they do. Perfect combo.

End of the day - I have both for about 80% of what that Toureq was going to cost.
Yes, I could definitely swing both as the GTI has been paid off for years and that's a good idea.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 617 Likes on 388 Posts
2014 E350 4-matic Sport & 2020 GLS450
Originally Posted by faugrad
Yes, I could definitely swing both as the GTI has been paid off for years and that's a good idea.
just run a couple of bottles of GumOut with PEA through the tank of the VW and drive it relatively hard. Also change the PCV unit ($10). Once the GTI becomes the toy - get it tuned with an APR Stage 1 software update and enjoy the holy snot out of it! I did on my 13 and the thing turned into a land missile. It was fantastic! I only have my 15 because it was the exact same price as my 13 and decided to just trade to the newer version while getting the DSG fluid serviced one day instead of paying for the service. Good and bad decision. The 13 has some plus above the 15 in several areas. I miss my 13!

I love the feeling in the morning of trying to decide between driving a Mercedes Benz to work or a GTI. Keeping the GTI was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made!

But to answer your initial question of carbon build up - not a big topic here. Research I found was that these cars don’t have an egr valve (exhaust gas return, I believe) which helps to prevent the carbon from the direct injection. Also read somewhere on here of double variable cam/valve timing to prevent it. Also remember the 2.0 has a turbo. The 350 is a pure 6. Comes in the front, out the back, no recirculating of already cooked air.

These E’s are taxi cabs in Germany. So you can imagine how tough they can be in the grand scheme of Mercedes Benz.

Last edited by nc211; 06-21-2018 at 04:34 PM.