E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

W212 E220 CDI low fuel pressure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 08:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 W212 E220 CDI Elegance
W212 E220 CDI low fuel pressure

Using a 2009 W212 E220 CDI as a corporate hire car.
I have a low fuel pressure code reading after main fuel pump assembly in the right tank was replaced. I also replaced common fuel rail (with both sensors) on the possibility that one was faulty (375000km) but the problem persists.
Even with this fault I still manage 6.8Lt combined and 4.7Lt highway.
There is still fuel flowing from the main line, so the question is that can the car operate even though the main fuel pump on the engine is dead (i.e. is the tank pump enough to maintain flow by itself), or is there a valve located somewhere further along the fuel system that maintains pressure
The car wont start in the morning until high octane spray is briefly added to intake before turbo, then it runs all day with only a small hesitation when starting (then all pressure lost overnight?).
Does this situation warrant a replacement main fuel pump (engine) or do I also replace the second fuel intake in the left side fuel tank.
The following users liked this post:
drcool71 (06-29-2021)
Old 06-21-2018, 10:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
Well you sure have wasted loads of money using the FUYA approach to diagnostics. Normally one will test the system prior to changing out parts,never the less test the main fuel pump if it does not meet specs than change it out. I am amazed that you are able to run the car with only the fuel tank fuel pump.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 W212 E220 CDI Elegance
The login of this person is apt - 'out of control' indeed. Perhaps 'Plutoe' suggests how far out there his thought patterns actually are.
The only part of the response posted that was of any use(?) was a comment regarding the tank fuel pump. That answer is logical, but as I was taught, never presume anything.
As for wasting loads of money, it is amazing what you can find on the net, both in parts and workshop manual.
Too bad that this fool didn't consider that I had already run a diagnosis and taken the first obvious steps in tracing the fault before spending money.
Perhaps he also failed to note the odometer reading and the reasonable assumption that one or more sensors that old may be getting touchy.
Any other (more balanced) comments are welcome, otherwise I may wonder how useful this forum is in putting forward reasonable requests and input.

PS - thanks for the ad for services in Tampa, Florida. I'm sure that is very useful for a person in Melbourne (that's Melbourne, Australia - you fool).
Old 06-29-2021, 03:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E250cdi
Similar problems on e250 cdi

Possible fuel quantity valve on high pressure diesel pump