E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Steering wheel swap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 01:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic
Steering wheel swap

Hello all. I'm considering changing out my stock steering wheel for one with wood grain. Both pictures below. The wood grain picture is giving me a hard time posting it. Hopefully it posts.

Is this a standard swap that is relatively easy to DIY? Should be able to just remove the airbag (disconnect battery first just to be safe) and remove the large center bolt and install the other steering wheel, right?

2 concerns I have.

1) Car is a 2014 E350 that is still under extended warranty (got as a CPO 1.5 years ago). What warranty ramifications, if any, could I potentially face by doing this myself?

2) Is there any programming to the ECM/ECU required with the wheel swap? I have an Audi and everything you do to that car requires an update to the ECM/ECU.

Thanks.

Last edited by akingzkid; 07-31-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:14 PM

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
14 550 sedan
Should be a pretty standard swap, as long as you go flat bottom wheel into flat bottom wheel, or round wheel into round wheel. The 2 pictures you have above, one is flat bottom one is not. The flat bottom vs not flat use different air bags.

I dont see any reason why this would have any warranty concerns. Also make sure if you have lane keep warning where the steering wheel vibrates, that your wood one has it too.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by LemonSqueezy
Should be a pretty standard swap, as long as you go flat bottom wheel into flat bottom wheel, or round wheel into round wheel. The 2 pictures you have above, one is flat bottom one is not. The flat bottom vs not flat use different air bags.

I dont see any reason why this would have any warranty concerns. Also make sure if you have lane keep warning where the steering wheel vibrates, that your wood one has it too.
Wow. Very good observations!! I noticed the flat bottom issue as well after I made my original post. I did not think about the lane keep assist. I do currently have that and I have no idea if the other one would have that. But what you mentioned about the airbags not being compatible is a dealbreaker anyway. Thanks.