E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Android Auto in 2016 W212

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 08:00 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
AMG 63S Estate
Originally Posted by manishjain24
Any luck with your quest on achieving 'Wireless Carplay/Android Auto'? I am assuming you are referring to this dongle: https://carplay2air.com/products/car...to-mirror-link

By the way, for folks with cars that include Build code 608 and 640, check out ILS, night driving difference is literally Night and Day You can read about it on: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...d-my-w212.html
I did get the "wireless" adapter to work for Apple Car Play and It is fantastic. See my post #142 here in this thread link........

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...ade-e63-6.html

Good Luck!!!!
The following users liked this post:
manishjain24 (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 08:11 AM

AMG 63S Estate
And just to clarify.....my wireless module is the Apply Car Play one listed here:

https://carplay2air.com/products/cpl...r-link-feature

The one in the link below is from the same company, but I do not have any experience with it. I'm "assuming" it works the same as the APC one. Not sure as to why it is $20 cheaper. Either way, I'm glad I purchased mine as it is so convenient not to have to "plug-in" every time I get in the car.

https://carplay2air.com/products/car...to-mirror-link
Old 07-29-2020, 08:21 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W212 E400 4Matic < W211 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Jules AMG
And just to clarify.....my wireless module is the Apply Car Play one listed here:

The one in the link below is from the same company, but I do not have any experience with it. I'm "assuming" it works the same as the APC one. Not sure as to why it is $20 cheaper. Either way, I'm glad I purchased mine as it is so convenient not to have to "plug-in" every time I get in the car.

Your link is for Apple and the link I posted for Android, that's all the difference there is.

Thanks for sharing your experience, looks like I am going to try it out for myself now.
The following users liked this post:
Jules AMG (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
I was bummed, on my next visit to the dealer, I will check with them.
The dealership is going to tell you no way jose.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So no glitching or delay connecting or major phone battery draining with the wireless thing? That's what stopped me from buying it.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:40 PM

AMG 63S Estate
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
So no glitching or delay connecting or major phone battery draining with the wireless thing? That's what stopped me from buying it.
It has been glitchy a few times, but does connect flawlessly each time I get into the car. I may need to update the firmware to see if that changes anything as I haven't attempted that since purchasing it. As far as the drain goes, you can simply plug it in if need be or opt for a wireless charging solution to mitigate the power cord. I haven't noticed an excessive battery drain that is any different than normal battery drain when I use my phone for other things. I'll report back once I update the firmware. Hope this helps.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It has been glitchy a few times, but does connect flawlessly each time I get into the car. I may need to update the firmware to see if that changes anything as I haven't attempted that since purchasing it. As far as the drain goes, you can simply plug it in if need be or opt for a wireless charging solution to mitigate the power cord. I haven't noticed an excessive battery drain that is any different than normal battery drain when I use my phone for other things. I'll report back once I update the firmware. Hope this helps.
Thanks, I'll wait to see how that goes for you before pulling the trigger.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
B170
I did manage to activate the AA and CarPlay with the dongle.
Both are shown on menu. Carplay worked without a hitch. Just plug the phone and the car display opened the carplay immediately.

However..Android Auto does not do anything?
Only "No device connected" disappears after phone is connected. Nothing else?

Can this be due to headunit Sw version?
How to check SW ver?

This is the "dealer diag" printout (red hangup +7+9)

Last edited by marpelto; 08-04-2020 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Add pic
Old 08-04-2020, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by marpelto
I did manage to activate the AA and CarPlay with the dongle.
Both are shown on menu. Carplay worked without a hitch. Just plug the phone and the car display opened the carplay immediately.
However..Android Auto does not do anything?
Only "No device connected" disappears after phone is connected. Nothing else?
Apple Carplay is supported by Apple phones (Phone running on Apple Operating System)
Android Auto is supported by Android Phones (Phone running on Android Operating System)

Apple phone will not connect to Android Auto and vice versa.

Did you connect an Android Phone to check if Android Auto was working for you?
Old 08-04-2020, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,753 Likes on 1,123 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
If read literally, then I agree with manishjain24... Android Auto will not recognize an Applejuice phone. That sounds obvious, but maybe it's not what was meant to be written.

If you are plugging in an Android phone and AA responds with no device connected, try using the USB cable that came with the phone, or a high quality USB Data cable. I had to try 3-4 different cables to get one that would connect my Android phone.

Also, it appears you are not working with a W212 E-Class... (W213, maybe?) I know that the dongle is designed for 2016 + vehicles, but the diag screen shown is not from a W212 (notice the A/C vents). Not sure if all the steps discussed in this thread will work with other than 2016 W212 cars.

Last edited by DFWdude; 08-04-2020 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-05-2020, 01:18 AM

B170

Did you connect an Android Phone to check if Android Auto was working for you?
Sure I did. Android phone on Android Auto. Tried with many phones. My friends iPhone worked with Carplay without any issues.
Old 08-05-2020, 01:26 AM

B170
Originally Posted by DFWdude
If you are plugging in an Android phone and AA responds with no device connected, try using the USB cable that came with the phone, or a high quality USB Data cable. I had to try 3-4 different cables to get one that would connect my Android phone.cars.
"No device connected" disappears after hooking the phone.

Also, it appears you are not working with a W212 E-Class... (W213, maybe?) I know that the dongle is designed for 2016 + vehicles, but the diag screen shown is not from a W212 (notice the A/C vents). Not sure if all the steps discussed in this thread will work with other than 2016 W212 cars.
yes..sorry didn't mention that the car is w246 2016. But the audiosystem is the same from that pov it does not matter.

Thanks
Old 08-05-2020, 07:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
OK, so if the question is why Carplay starts automatically and Android Auto doesn't... They are different operating systems as you know. A feature on one system is not necessarity native to the other system. Assuming you have installed the latest version of Android Auto on the smart phone, you can open the app manually. Takes less time to do that than finding and unfolding a paper map. No biggie.

Last edited by DFWdude; 08-05-2020 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:59 AM

B170
Originally Posted by DFWdude
OK, so if the question is why Carplay starts automatically and Android Auto doesn't... They are different operating systems as you know. A feature on one system is not necessarity native to the other system. Assuming you have installed the latest version of Android Auto on the smart phone, you can open the app manually. Takes less time to do that than finding and unfolding a paper map. No biggie.
Phone is Samsung s10 and AA is already part of the operating system. The Android Auto does not work with car at all.

Both Android Auto and CarPlay appeared on w256 Audio20 system menu after activation the feature with dongle.

When hooking iPhone to the car with cable, CarPlay works fine. I can control it with car's own controls

But, with Android phone hooked the same way, Android Auto does not work. Nothing appears on monitor.

It must be the Audio system on MB. I just wonder if it needs a firmware update?
Old 08-07-2020, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by marpelto
Sure I did. Android phone on Android Auto. Tried with many phones. My friend's iPhone worked with Carplay without any issues.
First, my apologies for assuming the obvious as DFWDude commented, but it is these simple tasks we often forget, myself included.

Like DFWDude said, using the right cable is essential as well, you mentioned Carplay works for Apple, assuming you have also tried hooking up the original cable for your Android Phone?

Most if not all the folks on this thread have used the OBD2 module we ordered and received from Vlad (Belarus) on our W212. Based on the pics you have shared of your W246, the OBD2 module from your pic does not look like you received from Vlad, perhaps a query to the seller might resolve your issue. Or perhaps someone in the W246 forum can shed light on this issue?

Also, found a couple of google posts that may help you hone in on the problem
https://support.google.com/androidau...43693618?hl=en
https://support.google.com/androidau.../3982904?hl=en
https://support.google.com/androidau...32380542?hl=en
Old 08-07-2020, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Most if not all the folks on this thread have used the OBD2 module we ordered and received from Vlad (Belarus) on our W212. Based on the pics you have shared of your W246, the OBD2 module from your pic does not look like you received from Vlad, perhaps a query to the seller might resolve your issue.
Vlad says the Chinese OBD2 will seldom work. In case this is the Chinese version.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:37 AM

AMG 63S Estate
Just wanted to follow up on the “glitchy” issues sometimes present with the car2airplay wireless module.
When I first got the unit it hooked up flawlessly to my phone each time I got in. After a few days I noticed that when using Waze and listening to music that it would glitch out on either the Waze voice or music would break in and out often.
About a week ago when checking for an update, I noticed there were 2 avail email for my unit. One was to fix a “connection issue“ and the other was labeled as simply “bug fixes”??? So I went ahead and processed both.
Afterwards I can report that since updating there has been none of the glitches previously stated (knock on wood). Additionally, I believe someone mentioned severe battery drain which I have not noticed. However, the way mine is set up I have Waze come on automatically for just “seeing” the map and not necessarily providing directions as I could see that being a quicker drain if not charging. I hope this quick right up help prospective buyers contemplating this module. I love mine.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just wanted to follow up on the “glitchy” issues sometimes present with the car2airplay wireless module.
When I first got the unit it hooked up flawlessly to my phone each time I got in. After a few days I noticed that when using Waze and listening to music that it would glitch out on either the Waze voice or music would break in and out often.
About a week ago when checking for an update, I noticed there were 2 avail email for my unit. One was to fix a “connection issue“ and the other was labeled as simply “bug fixes”??? So I went ahead and processed both.
Afterwards I can report that since updating there has been none of the glitches previously stated (knock on wood). Additionally, I believe someone mentioned severe battery drain which I have not noticed. However, the way mine is set up I have Waze come on automatically for just “seeing” the map and not necessarily providing directions as I could see that being a quicker drain if not charging. I hope this quick right up help prospective buyers contemplating this module. I love mine.
Thanks for your insight. It sounds like this is something I will be interested in.
Old 08-25-2020, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

@Jules AMG I purchased the module and it works fine... until I turn the car off. When I turn the car off, my phone automatically starts playing the music from its speakers. I've updated firmware and tried everything. Unfortunately it looks like I will be returning this.

Did you have this issue?
Old 08-25-2020, 05:24 PM

AMG 63S Estate
@Jules AMG I purchased the module and it works fine... until I turn the car off. When I turn the car off, my phone automatically starts playing the music from its speakers. I've updated firmware and tried everything. Unfortunately it looks like I will be returning this.

Did you have this issue?
Hi Lilbenz. I’m sure the car was still in “awake” mode when this happened. I haven’t had it happen unless I’m in the house and my wife starts the car (why is your music playing through the car speakers dear?). Anyway..... I’d be sure that the key fob as far away or maybe you need to lock the car to put to sleep. Maybe wait a 10 minutes or so once you get home to try and see what happens. Sorry you have this happening. Id be curious to see what you find out. I absolutely love mine.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:32 AM

I noticed crowdfunding from Groningen, Netherlands for Wireless Android Auto: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/aawireless#/

Future updates will be over the air via an app installed on the phone. They plan to start shipping in December 2020.

Obviously we do not know if the above quirks will exist or be addressed with this unit.
Old 09-06-2020, 05:50 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 E350 Base
Hello everyone -
I've been following this thread for some time, as I (too) want to expand my entertainment experience in my 2016 W212 with Android Auto, which my car currently does not have (3U2 and 531 codes). I would need to upgrade the firmware.

That said, no one has mentioned upgrading to an Android touchscreen, so readily available today - even from Chris the Swede. Was the decision to use the Vlad's OBD2 as opposed to an Android screen upgrade more for cosmetic purposes; leaving the car with its original screen look, or perhaps not trusting entirely the functionality/reliability of the Android screen?

Curious as to all's opinion of the these two devises; notably very different from each other.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by Joe Alonso
...no one has mentioned upgrading to an Android touchscreen, so readily available today - even from Chris the Swede. Was the decision to use the Vlad's OBD2 as opposed to an Android screen upgrade more for cosmetic purposes; leaving the car with its original screen look, or perhaps not trusting entirely the functionality/reliability of the Android screen?
Much less complicated to use the OBD2 device to get Android Auto, compared with tearing the dash apart to install any aftermarket screen. Also, the OBD solution includes both AA and Apple CarPlay, allowing flexibility to use either app. I am not sure that the Android Screen offers both options.

There is another thread here on the android hardware installation. I'm just not inclined to chance the issues that can occur with the Android Screen option. I've learned with my MBs that physically changing one thing like this can create two or more problems...

...Not to mention that the tacked-on appearance of the hardware options look tacky, IMO.

Last edited by DFWdude; 09-06-2020 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E350

Did you have this issue?
I had this issue (without wireless) using the Musicolet app. Happened almost everytime I unplugged phone. Could not figure out the issue. Went back to the VLC app, never happens.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:49 PM

Received 320 Likes on 248 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by Joe Alonso

Curious as to all's opinion of the these two devises; notably very different from each other.

Thanks in advance.
FWIW, you actually have three very different choices:

1) OEM via firmware/OBDII
2) Aftermarket unit w/ new screen
3) Aftermarket unit that retains MB OEM screen

I have aftermarket devices in both my 2014 MBs and if I had a 2016 I would absolutely prefer the firmware/OBDII solution and retain all the MB integration, and importantly, the nice low glare MB OEM screen.

Last edited by cadetdrivr; 09-06-2020 at 06:57 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Android Auto in 2016 W212