E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Moving over

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 11:31 AM

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts
2012 E350 4Matic P2
Moving over

Just a quick post to say that I am moving over from the W220 group and become a "Hands On" contributor to the W212 group. I recently purchased a 2012 E350 4Matic with 93xxx miles. I am in the process now of accumulating the parts needed to base line the maintenance to start from scratch during my ownership. Updates to follow.

So far, (about 500 miles) i am completely happy with my new purchase. I was surprised at the amount of power available and am very happy indeed. I still have my R230 for top down weather but I love my new year round ride. I had originally been looking for a E550 2010+ for the V8 performance but the new M276 in my car does a terrific job with performance and is plenty fast enough for me! My car also has the 200A real leather option which actually sealed the deal for me.

General question: I am a newbie with Keyless Go. During warm weather I will of course hand wash the car but am confused on how to successfully drive it through a car wash. Manual states to use the Smart Key in the ignition, put the selector into neutral and then turn it off. Can't I just shift to neutral leave the Keyless Go button alone and ride through the wash with the car idling or will the car automatically shift to park once the car starts to roll? :dunno:

Old 08-15-2018, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,622 Likes on 1,191 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Welcome. Car looks great except for the badly faded wood trim. Not much to do about that though as it is expensive to replace.
Not sure about the car wash. Automatic washes around here do not let you ride along and if you open the door while your car is running it will automatically put itself in Park as you know. In winter I use one of those washes where you actually pull into a bay and park the car while the machines run around the perimeter of the car while sitting stationary. It works to get most of the salt off.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:38 PM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 341 Likes on 242 Posts
2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
I think that's a good idea - I'm typically the second owner of a vehicle, so I do the same on establishing a maintenance baseline unless I have really strong evidence of work done.
On the wood trim, as mentioned, it's not cheap to replace, but the quality/variety of vinyl film today is very good, may give you some options about a bit of change/upgrade if you so desire. My outside trim/grille is wrapped and it has held up very well.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 914 Likes on 652 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by mercy-me
Just a quick post to say that I am moving over from the W220 group and become a "Hands On" contributor to the W212 group. I recently purchased a 2012 E350 4Matic with 93xxx miles. I am in the process now of accumulating the parts needed to base line the maintenance to start from scratch during my ownership. Updates to follow.

So far, (about 500 miles) i am completely happy with my new purchase. I was surprised at the amount of power available and am very happy indeed. I still have my R230 for top down weather but I love my new year round ride. I had originally been looking for a E550 2010+ for the V8 performance but the new M276 in my car does a terrific job with performance and is plenty fast enough for me! My car also has the 200A real leather option which actually sealed the deal for me.

General question: I am a newbie with Keyless Go. During warm weather I will of course hand wash the car but am confused on how to successfully drive it through a car wash. Manual states to use the Smart Key in the ignition, put the selector into neutral and then turn it off. Can't I just shift to neutral leave the Keyless Go button alone and ride through the wash with the car idling or will the car automatically shift to park once the car starts to roll? :dunno:

I drive thru the car wash often. I just drive it on the “belt” that pulls the car thru while I sit in it and car is idling on neutral.

I could slso exit the car leaving it on neutral as long as the engine runs. My car is 2010 model and does not put car on PARK with door opening as long as the engine runs or I guess key is in the power ON position.
The following users liked this post:
mercy-me (08-15-2018)