E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Not your average wheel speed sensor issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E63 AMG
Not your average wheel speed sensor issue

I have read a lot of posts about wheel speed sensors but they all talk about the same thing, troubleshooting and replacing the sensor itself. I did that, and am still having issues.

At first I only got this warning after taking a hard turn and giving it a bunch of gas. but after the below work it comes up almost right away.
I replaced the lower right control arm (was bent pretty bad) Now the steering wheel is off about 30 degs. to the right (alignment scheduled for Tuesday)
I also had to replace the front right brake pad wear sensor.
I replaced the bearing and races on both front wheel hubs because they were starting to whine.
*The front right turn signal sometimes doesn't work, still haven't fixed this.
After doing the above work, I get the ABS,lane keep, etc warning and the below code, I replaced the sensor (pins and connector looked good on both ends) but it still gives these errors, even when just sitting there and not moving. You can also see that the right speed senor sometimes drops below like its missing the signal.

My problem is the ABS sensor connector goes behind the metal wheel well and I have no idea where from there, so I can't tell what the next connection looks like as far as corrosion goes. Anyone have any ideas? Do you all think the alignment will help? I tried the wheel angle reset and it didn't work.

If the alignment doesn't help I'm going to tear into the steering column and clean the steering angle sensor.

It should be known that I think the car had an accident in the front right corner.

Last edited by WV E63 AMG; 09-09-2018 at 07:11 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:11 PM

2010 E63 AMG
for anyone interested, I got the alignment done. On the way to get it done I got the ABS/ESP warning almost right away then after 5 minutes my speedo went to 0 and got all of the warnings again and also lost power steering. They did the alignment, (took 3 hours as their machine broke) and it STILL pulls to the right...

Next step is redo the graph and see if I loose all signal from the wheel speed sensor. If not Im 100% lost.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:37 PM

2010 E63 AMG
Update,

I did some more research and bugged a few others in the forum and found that aftermarket wheel hub oil seals might not have a strong enough magnetic presence to operate the wheel speed sensor correctly. Went to Mercedes Benz, bought two new seals and grease, replaced them and still have the same exact issue. (haven't driven it around enough to know if the speedo is going to stop working.) *I also took the liner of the wheel well off and found another ground point, I wire brushed the connections and bolt, also looked at the cam plug going into the ?ECU? (everything looked clean and straight). and I'm still get the errors.

Can anyone recommend a good shop in the Dallas / Fort Worth Area? I'm afraid if I take it to MB they will just charge me a lot of money to replace the sensor, which I have already done.

Its a shame, I really liked this car but have completely fell out of love with it.

I've had other high performance cars that didn't have half the issues this car has had. Is that normal for Mercedes?
Old 09-08-2018, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,742 Likes on 1,389 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
I am getting lost in your descriptions.
You have bad wheels speed sensor and you fix it by alignment?
Unless I missed it, you did not replace the faulty sensor?
Than how can seal affect the sensor? Did you inspect reluctor rings?
Old 09-09-2018, 07:09 AM

2010 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by kajtek1
I am getting lost in your descriptions.
You have bad wheels speed sensor and you fix it by alignment?
Unless I missed it, you did not replace the faulty sensor?
Than how can seal affect the sensor? Did you inspect reluctor rings?
Thank you for the response. Yes, I read on here that the sensor has been known to fail, and it would need to be replaced. I did that (replaced the sensor), and am still having the error codes. I tried everything I know to do, including replacing the wheel hub oil seal (twice) and nothing was working. I also needed to get an alignment as the control arm was bent and replaced. Even though it was very unlikely I was really hoping that would fix the issue just because I was out of options.

As far as the reluctor ring goes, It is my understanding that the sensor reads the oil seal? there is nothing in the FRONT wheel hub itself, just seal and two bearings. The rear has a reluctor ring but not the front, right?
Old 09-20-2018, 11:14 AM

2010 E63 AMG
I took it to a shop and after they fought with it for a week it had to be either the new sensor was also bad or the computer. We gambled and replaced the aftermarket sensor with a new OEM sensor and it is fixed.

Case closed.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:57 AM

2010 E63 AMG
I am reviving this old thread because replacing the wheel speed sensor did not work after all. The previous owner hit a curb and bent a control arm Which changed the geometry of a few components. so I thought it be worth it to try and Dremel some material off of the mating surface of the wheel speed sensor to get the probe to stick further into the hub After shaving about one millimeter off everything worked fine .
Old 01-27-2019, 10:26 AM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 341 Likes on 242 Posts
2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
Very interesting, at first I was curious that you needed to modify for an oem sensor but then saw comment about damaged components.
Just a note that sometimes a continuity issue between the sensor and the abs module , either in wiring or connector can cause the error code despite sensor replacement.
Also, if I understand correctly, the steering wheel position can throw the abs code, as the wheel sensors are reading straight line (all wheels number of turns the same) but the steering wheel angle sensors are reading turning. If the difference is out of program parameters = CEL.
I hope that your troubles are over with this though.

Last edited by Mud; 01-27-2019 at 01:22 PM.