E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

E350 Windshield Trim Molding Warping????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
E350 Windshield Trim Molding Warping????

I have a 2011 E350 that my wife drives and we purchased it new from a MB Dealer here in Houston, TX. Approx. 3 years ago the windshield was replaced due to a crack by a professional company recommended by the dealer since they did not perform this service. All went well and never had any problems with the installation. This weekend while washing the vehicle, I noticed the plastic/vinyl trim or molding that sits between the windshield and the roof panel had warped in several sections along the top as shown in the attached picture. The car is exposed to the extreme Texas hot summer temps we have been experiencing over the last couple of months. It is garaged at the house but my wife drives it to a Park & Ride facility (unshaded) to commute for work 5 days a week. This is the first time I've noticed this and I wash the car regularly therefore it is something recent. Since the end of May we have been getting temps in the 100°+ range and I can only assume this is a result of the car being baked in the hot sun.

Has anyone else experienced this or is the trim/molding around the windshield defective and should be replaced??

Thanks,

ET Sherman

Front Windshield Molding Warped
Old 08-29-2018, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 643 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Wow have not experienced this. It looks like someone took a screw driver and tried taking off the trim. Go back to the dealer and see what they say.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:24 PM

E350
Originally Posted by dbldpr
Wow have not experienced this. It looks like someone took a screw driver and tried taking off the trim. Go back to the dealer and see what they say.
Thanks for the reply ... Yes, that's what I thought at first ... looks like someone was trying to remove the windshield. Honestly though ... since the end of May ... we have been getting consistent high temps at 100°+. That car sits on an un-shaded Park & Ride lot for 5 days a week. I think the hot sun just got the best of that molding. It's going to the dealer on Friday for some annual maintenance work ... I will have them check it out at that time!!!

ET Sherman
Old 08-29-2018, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 643 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Originally Posted by etsherman
Thanks for the reply ... Yes, that's what I thought at first ... looks like someone was trying to remove the windshield. Honestly though ... since the end of May ... we have been getting consistent high temps at 100°+. That car sits on an un-shaded Park & Ride lot for 5 days a week. I think the hot sun just got the best of that molding. It's going to the dealer on Friday for some annual maintenance work ... I will have them check it out at that time!!!

ET Sherman
Good luck
Old 08-29-2018, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
I recall a post where someone had a bird that was picking at the rubber seal on the back window. But I haven't seen this posted yet.

I would contact the replacement company - they hopefully warranty their work.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:21 PM

E350
Originally Posted by thefisch
I recall a post where someone had a bird that was picking at the rubber seal on the back window. But I haven't seen this posted yet.

I would contact the replacement company - they hopefully warranty their work.
Thanks, yes I did contact the Auto Glass Co. (Safelite) and was delighted to find their replacement windshield comes with a lifetime warranty (on workmanship and material failing or defective parts) as long as you own the car. Appointment scheduled in the next few days to get it replaced.

I'm happy!!!

ET Sherman