Diesel Engine Pre-heater

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W213 E220D 4Matic 2017
Diesel Engine Pre-heater

Hello from Sweden

I think that the subject and the greeting are somehow telling what I am going to ask
I have a W212 200CDI Blue Efficiency 2010 year model, and since it is extremely cold here during winter (-1 to -25 degrees) it takes really so long time to get the car up to sufficient operating temp that I can drive without being shaking, I was thinking about installing a diesel pre-heater, and I found mainly two alternatives as aftermarket possibilities,
Binar 5S-12 TM 12V 5KW 8KG unit (500 USD price tag without installation)
Webasto Thermo Top Evo 5 12V 5KW 2.4KG unit (850 USD price tag without installation)
I could for sure see that Webasto is much lighter, but is there any advantage of this? no other technical differences found between the two alternatives, any disadvantage with Binar as it is heavier?
The other matter is the installation, as most of the workshop suggested an installation price of 2000 USD, of course that doesn't include the price of the unit itself. is it really this difficult to install? what if I thought about installing it myself? would there be any modifications or reprogramming of the car that is needed? Any additional thoughts about this topic?

Please share your experience with me and thanks in advance

Last edited by Theodor.; 09-28-2018 at 07:26 AM.