E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

w212 om651 dpf problem what can be causing it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e220
w212 om651 dpf problem what can be causing it?

hi i got uk model facelift 2014 mercedes e220 and i bought it recently and the engine management light came on bcuz of high soot level in dpf so i done a force regeneration with xentry and got the soot level from 200% down to 10% but within a week and only done 30 miles and the light is back on and soot level is over 200% again which is strange and i dont know what is causing it and i checked the egr in xentry and noticed the on/off ratio of exhaust gas recirculation was the only incorrect figure and it was showing red but the engine was cold, ive attached image and was wondering if its the egr valve and is there any way to test it and is there anyway in xentry to test fuel injectors?

ive done some other tests and ive included the files

Old 10-01-2018, 01:34 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
E250 Diesel
how many miles/km do you have on your car? Does the UK diesel models come with Urea injection system like that of the US models?
Old 10-01-2018, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,742 Likes on 1,389 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
I am dealing with probably the same problem and for the record - I placed order for new/rebuild DPF on June 1 and Germans still did not send it. 4 months and counting.
My DPF was putting car in limp mode, I tried to clean my DPF with the ultrasonic service, but DPF did not come back to specification.
Lately I bought iCarsoft MBII scanner, who does DPF regeneration. It is crazy procedure where slow-acting scanner and poor English makes for lot of hassle, so I figure it out on 2nd try.
But even after running regeneration during driving the scanner show 0 soot contests and 0 fill level, I rescanned it after short drive and it is back to the same numbers I had before regeneration.
Still plan to give it another try, but looks to me that scanner gave me bogus readings.
That said per my Service Adviser -DPF are wearables with 80k miles life expectancy. Mine per records was replaced 60k miles ago, but I have bad feeling about those records as well.
That topic should be in diesel section btw.

Last edited by kajtek1; 10-01-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:17 PM

e220
Originally Posted by mellonc
how many miles/km do you have on your car? Does the UK diesel models come with Urea injection system like that of the US models?
it does have 133k miles in 4 years which are mainly motorway miles and im not sure if its urea injection but my model doesnt have adblue and i cant see the dpf to be the actual problem, bcuz dpf high soot level is a symptom and not the actual problem thats causing the dpf to get blocked, so i really dont know whats causing it, but i really dont know what the problem is
Old 10-01-2018, 10:19 PM

e220
Originally Posted by kajtek1
I am dealing with probably the same problem and for the record - I placed order for new/rebuild DPF on June 1 and Germans still did not send it. 4 months and counting.
My DPF was putting car in limp mode, I tried to clean my DPF with the ultrasonic service, but DPF did not come back to specification.
Lately I bought iCarsoft MBII scanner, who does DPF regeneration. It is crazy procedure where slow-acting scanner and poor English makes for lot of hassle, so I figure it out on 2nd try.
But even after running regeneration during driving the scanner show 0 soot contests and 0 fill level, I rescanned it after short drive and it is back to the same numbers I had before regeneration.
Still plan to give it another try, but looks to me that scanner gave me bogus readings.
That said per my Service Adviser -DPF are wearables with 80k miles life expectancy. Mine per records was replaced 60k miles ago, but I have bad feeling about those records as well.
That topic should be in diesel section btw.
maybe its your dpf pressure sensor
Old 10-01-2018, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by imran333
maybe its your dpf pressure sensor
I was thinking about it, but pressure sensor would have different codes.
Beside shop tested DPF removed from the car and it did not pass after cleaning.
When things on car do break and do wear out, I remember Germans as very strict people. (my father was slave labor on German farm during WWII and keeps good memories about the farm owner)
Sounds like the mentality changed in last generation
Old 10-01-2018, 11:30 PM

e220
I was thinking about it, but pressure sensor would have different codes.
Beside shop tested DPF removed from the car and it did not pass after cleaning.
When things on car do break and do wear out, I remember Germans as very strict people. (my father was slave labor on German farm during WWII and keeps good memories about the farm owner)
Sounds like the mentality changed in last generation
my code is p246309 which means dpf soot level high and the mercedes diagnostic does say it can be faulty pressure sensor even though theres no pressure sensor related codes
Old 10-02-2018, 03:44 AM

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
If no codes it is often the exhaust / DPF pressure sensor.

Other sensors which can cause it are the exhaust or turbo temperature sensors. These work in tandem and there is a tolerance range between the two readings that if outside of stop a regen happening.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by imran333
my code is p246309 which means dpf soot level high and the mercedes diagnostic does say it can be faulty pressure sensor even though theres no pressure sensor related codes
I have P2463 and also P2002.
I also have a scanner who can read pressure difference, but I have nothing to compare it to.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:55 PM

e220
I have P2463 and also P2002.
I also have a scanner who can read pressure difference, but I have nothing to compare it to.
could you check and tell me the pressure with it th engine off,idle and when you rev the engine and ill do the same
Old 10-03-2018, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The differential pressure is in the range 2- 5 hPa when at idle.
Revving high not only will give inconsistent data, but can be danger to the engine.
I observe the pressure when I stomp on gas pedal from stand still .
So far the highest pressure I did see was 120 hPa, when usually it oscillate in 70-100 max.
In normal driving you don't see 50 very often.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:52 AM

e220
The differential pressure is in the range 2- 5 hPa when at idle.
Revving high not only will give inconsistent data, but can be danger to the engine.
I observe the pressure when I stomp on gas pedal from stand still .
So far the highest pressure I did see was 120 hPa, when usually it oscillate in 70-100 max.
In normal driving you don't see 50 very often.
now ive done forced regeneration and the dpf is clean, the pressure readings are fine and similar to yours but ill have to wait and see how long it lasts before the engine light is back on, bcuz last timeit was in days and under 50 miles which is nothing, so if it blocks again so quickly there's a problem somewhere
Old 10-04-2018, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Reset the scanner and confirm DPF is clean.
My iCarsoft lies to me showing 0 values at the end of regeneration and when I reset it, it comes back to the numbers before regeneration.
That is probably due to my DPF having permanent damage, but sucks when scanner lies to you. I emailed iCarsoft tech support about it and no response.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:18 PM

E250 Diesel
I just want to make sure. You have a US spec OM651 engine, correct? I find it highly unusual that your $3000 part has gone south on you. Not sure how many miles you've racked up over the years but this is highly concerning regarding the longevity of my car. what is the solution for people like me who only have 60K miles on the car??? Just drive it pay for it when it inevitably breaks down or is there something we can do prevent this?
Old 10-04-2018, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mine is US E250 Bluetec and even I don't drive it very much (especially having it in limp) the car is former limo with 183k miles.
Records show DPF replaced at 120k, but seeing how long it takes to get the DPF I smell a rat here. The part number on the records doesn't match the part number on the car.
Time and added miles helps in that situation.
Being long-time W210 owner, there is no W210 problem who hasn't been worked out with cheap solutions.
DPF normally cost in the range of $1000, so why this engine calls for $3k unit? With more and more demand the price has to drop.
Other story is that scanners with DPF regeneration are showing on the market. The 2014 and newer diesels are not covered on most of the software, but in a year or 2 you can expect update.
The only issue I have is part availability. I am waiting for DPF 4th month and no word the part left Germany yet.
I am getting on phone to MBUSA.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:21 PM

e220
Reset the scanner and confirm DPF is clean.
My iCarsoft lies to me showing 0 values at the end of regeneration and when I reset it, it comes back to the numbers before regeneration.
That is probably due to my DPF having permanent damage, but sucks when scanner lies to you. I emailed iCarsoft tech support about it and no response.
I never did reset to check but I’ll wait and see how long it lasts and I’ll try reset if I have to do Regen again
Old 10-10-2018, 09:32 PM

e220
Originally Posted by mellonc
I just want to make sure. You have a US spec OM651 engine, correct? I find it highly unusual that your $3000 part has gone south on you. Not sure how many miles you've racked up over the years but this is highly concerning regarding the longevity of my car. what is the solution for people like me who only have 60K miles on the car??? Just drive it pay for it when it inevitably breaks down or is there something we can do prevent this?
my om651 is uk model but the actual dpf and engine should be the same, but the fuel spec will be slightly Different in USA compared to uk and maybe the oil but I’m not sure about the oil, but normally I’d you got dpf related problems it’s normally something else causing the dpf to keep getting blocked bcuz dpf blockage is a symton and the problem is elsewhere so there’s reasons like one reason is too much city driving I’ll cause blockage or high soot level and dpf regeneration won’t take place and another thing I found out the dpf won’t Regen unless there’s 15 litres of fuel which is basically a quarter of a tank, so best not to drive with low fuel and there’s other reasons dpf can get blocked and that’s like bad fuel injectors or bad glow plugs or bad or blocked egr valve, before this I had bmw f10 520d and I drove that for 2.5 years always city driving and with low fuel all the time but not once did I have a problem, so I’m thinking bmw might have better dpf parts and technology but I’m not sure about that
Old 10-16-2018, 01:48 PM

E250 Diesel
OP, did you find out what the root of your problems was? If you diagnosed it and found the solution, please post.