E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Moaning while braking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 MB E350
Moaning while braking

Posted this in W211 in error. Thanks to person that corrected me.
2015 E350 with original pads and rotors at 28K miles. Recent used car purchase from Lexus dealer. Since getting this car in July the brakes moan as brake is applied coasting to a stop. Finally took to a MB dealer that reported issue is caused by rusted rotors. The rust is on the inside of rotors Dealer suggested rotors could be changed, but still a lot of life remaining if I could live with the moaning. One representative suggested dragging on the rotors to clean off the rust. Apply the brake with one foot and accelerate with the other foot to drag the rotors thru the pads, to hopefully clean up the rotor surface. Are there better methods to clean up the rotors? Spray on cleaners? While shopping for this car I test drove other E350 sedans and wagons and several of them had the same moaning brake issue. I know rusty rotors are a problem for all cars. But is it more prevalent on MB's for some reason? Stoopid me for not having Lexus dealer fix it before I purchased.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 679 Likes on 644 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Actually by dragging it might clear up the rust. I have seen a lot of MB cars with rusty brake rotors. Mine are like new but then the car is rarely out in the rain. I have heard that you can use a Grinding disc to clean the rotors but I have never done that. Sorry I could not be of more help.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:45 AM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by techtown
Posted this in W211 in error. Thanks to person that corrected me.
2015 E350 with original pads and rotors at 28K miles. Recent used car purchase from Lexus dealer. Since getting this car in July the brakes moan as brake is applied coasting to a stop. Finally took to a MB dealer that reported issue is caused by rusted rotors. The rust is on the inside of rotors Dealer suggested rotors could be changed, but still a lot of life remaining if I could live with the moaning. One representative suggested dragging on the rotors to clean off the rust. Apply the brake with one foot and accelerate with the other foot to drag the rotors thru the pads, to hopefully clean up the rotor surface. Are there better methods to clean up the rotors? Spray on cleaners? While shopping for this car I test drove other E350 sedans and wagons and several of them had the same moaning brake issue. I know rusty rotors are a problem for all cars. But is it more prevalent on MB's for some reason? Stoopid me for not having Lexus dealer fix it before I purchased.
the moaning is coming from vibration of the pad. Causes: damping compound was not used between pistons and pads, or rotor may have an outside lip, or some grease or tar from road or cv boot split got on the rotor. Some oreilly have the rotor lathes to resurface the rotor $25, to get to possible rotor contamination you have to pull the callipers to get to the inside surface, use chlorinated brake cleaner, and blue scott towels. And since the caliper is pulled use the antivibration/dampening compound. Don’t put crappy china rotors on your vehicle, go to fcpeuro for german rotors. A picture of how much rust would be helpful. Light rust should clear up as you drive. Also you could have air in the caliper, so bleed it. Have you have the brake fluid replaced yet?

Last edited by ot1; 10-07-2018 at 11:50 AM.