E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Opinions on buying a W212

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none
Opinions on buying a W212

What do we think? 2011 E350 Bluetec (diesel). Been in a minor accident involving back left so the only two things I noticed were that the bumper doesn’t 100% line up but really not noticeable and a patch of paintwork seems to have a different looking texture but doesn’t feel different - should I be worried about oxidization effects in a few years? Accident was in 2014 but everything is MINT, interior and exterior. Seems to run extremely smooth and quiet. Less than 80k mileage. Everything electronic working. All work has been done by Benz dealer. Very clean Carfax. After haggling a little, seller wants 14.5 all in.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Records for oil cooler replacement?
The OM642 engines are lovely performers, but unless you are very advanced DYI, few things they need down the road can cost you.
They are sold as 320 bluetecs and 350 bluetecs, Keep on reading in diesel section about them. Reserve few nights for the lecture.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:41 AM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
+1^^^
It is actually the oil cooler seals that fail ($5 part), but require a 16 hour shop repair to get to them. I've done it on mine. Of course a dealer will want $2500 to do this. DIY was about $200 in parts, and about 20 hours w/o a lift.
Expensive Bluetec items to consider: Oil cooler seals, the Adblue tank heater, trans service every 39K miles, gunking up of the intake swirl vanes and motor, are the items I would want to check or consider for future expense.
There are DIY repairs for all of these, and an independent can do them for much less than a dealer.
Everything else is pretty standard maintenance. It's a great car with great economy, and massive torque is fun.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:24 PM

none
Thank you guys so much for the help and advice, I am so grateful! The gunking up issue - does this have to be done once or regularly?
so regarding the oil cooler seals, if they have already been done, is that it sorted or does it have to be done regularly?
Here is my current service expectations then, please tell me if I’m wrong! -

* normal services as signaled by the dash display as standard routinely (probably including oil changes etc)
*transmission service every 39k
Old 10-11-2018, 09:31 AM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
Gunking up is due to EGR diesel carbon and blow by oil mixed together in the intake. It will return unless a means of cleaning it out is developed. When it gets bad, it resists movement and breaks the swirl vane linkage or motor. Most people leave the vane open and trick the computer by adding a resistor. No I’ll affects from doing this.

Oil cooler seals were updated and the new Viton seals should last forever.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:35 PM

none
Originally Posted by kbob999
Gunking up is due to EGR diesel carbon and blow by oil mixed together in the intake. It will return unless a means of cleaning it out is developed. When it gets bad, it resists movement and breaks the swirl vane linkage or motor. Most people leave the vane open and trick the computer by adding a resistor. No I’ll affects from doing this.

Oil cooler seals were updated and the new Viton seals should last forever.

thank you so much for this detailed info!!
Old 10-13-2018, 12:50 PM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 340 Likes on 242 Posts
2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
On the paintwork, just a guess without detail pic, but if the texture looks different but feels smooth, it may be that the color basecoat was applied too thick or over an uneven substrate. The clearcoat was then wet-sanded and buffed for a smooth finish. You would be looking through the clearcoat at the basecoat that may be a less than professional application. What does the color match look like? Was the area blended into existing paintwork or just painted where the damage was?
Can you verify where the work was done? In many cases, bodywork and paint is outsourced to someplace like Caliber Collision, Penske, etc. as dealers get out of the collision business. The shop may be "certified" as an MB repair center but the same guy working on your car was working on a Corolla last week. Nothing against Corollas, just making a point that these are broad-based service facilities. With that said, the entire door on my car was replaced/painted at Caliber Collision Dec 2017 as recommended through dealer - they did an excellent job.
You may also want to get the car up on a rack and pull some trunk panels to see if any additional damage was repaired. Look around spare tire as well.

Not saying this is your case but many times the details can point to an idea of how the vehicle may have been cared for. Or less than cared for....

Last edited by Mud; 10-13-2018 at 12:58 PM.