E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Review 10.25 "Android Screen Replacement from 4x4shop

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-23-2018, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300
Review 10.25 "Android Screen Replacement from 4x4shop

Hey everyone, been a long time lurker, i guess its about time i contribute to this forum
Just bought a unit form 4x4shop.ca for my 2010 W212
The installation went smoothly, hardest part of the whole process was basically taking off trim pieces but other then that it was basically plug in play.
I did have one issue with the original screen not turning on but i have called and video chatted with guy with name Fred, and he was able to guide me through the correct way of installing and setting up the unit.
Everything working flawlessly, i even connected my iPhone X to the unit as carplay and it works like a charm to read and text through siri which is very helpful.

Honestly its a little more then other units out there but its well worth it as it looks like they actually do a lot of these cars as i found them through their youtube page.
Here is the link for anyone interested;

For those interested in the unit this is the one i bought, https://4x4shop.ca/product/mercedes-...ifi-bluetooth/
Im sure if you have any questions just call them or text them on their website and they are pretty prompt on the replies.

If you guys have any questions let me know ill try to answer as best as possible!
Old 10-23-2018, 04:01 PM

Mercedes glk350
I have installed their GLK Unit actually about a year ago, i can recommend them as well.
I was also dealing with Fred, i believe he is the one in sales department.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
CLS550, BMW 550
Originally Posted by Kiriller
Hey everyone, been a long time lurker, i guess its about time i contribute to this forum
Just bought a unit form 4x4shop.ca for my 2010 W212
The installation went smoothly, hardest part of the whole process was basically taking off trim pieces but other then that it was basically plug in play.
I did have one issue with the original screen not turning on but i have called and video chatted with guy with name Fred, and he was able to guide me through the correct way of installing and setting up the unit.
Everything working flawlessly, i even connected my iPhone X to the unit as carplay and it works like a charm to read and text through siri which is very helpful.

If you guys have any questions let me know ill try to answer as best as possible!

Do they have the newer versions?
Old 10-23-2018, 04:38 PM

c300
I actually have their old version 4.4 i saw in the link that i posted, they already offer 6.0 android
- Please note about android version, these guys offer real ones so if they say its 6.0 its 6.0.
- I was just researching and it appears many sellers of these units fake their android versions for example people claim they have 7.1 8.1 but infact its a 6.0 or 4.4 with a fake overlay on the android version, you can check yours by downloading aida64, it will show you real ram cpu hd etc and it will show your real android version that its running not overlay.
right now im debating on getting new version, as its 2gig and 32hd so its quite a good upgrade so maybe ill sell mine down the line

Last edited by Kiriller; 10-23-2018 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 e63s amg
Canadian supply/support, cool!

Almost 200usd more than the the competitor, not cool.

However, the video of function/features is already better than anything Chris has put out, despite being asked multiple times.

New version with carplay option from ckm, $690USD (+$62.40 shipping outside of Sweden)

​​​​​​
New version with carplay from 4x4shop, $879USD

Either way, I appreciate the post, always good to have options.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:53 PM

c300
Originally Posted by bucktown
New version with carplay option from ckm, $690USD (+$62.40 shipping outside of Sweden)

​​
New version with carplay from 4x4shop, $879USD
Quick math its not 200$ difference i guess, its actually 752 vs 879 ... so really its only 127$, 4x4 offer free shipping which is nice

Not trying to defend the, but this is the biggest thing i always consider when buying such things, anyone can waste their money on online aliexpress unit, what you get is what you pay for
1) i researched and talked to these guys for a week confirming watching everything before making the purchase. they were very patient with me and my ocd/dumb questions.
2) they actually have a physical shop in toronto where they install these units daily
3) warranty they provide it for a year
last by not least, biggest one for me
4) customer service and support, they literally spend 2h with me probably total between calls/video calls/chats to make sure its all setup and connected correctly, which right there and then is worth a little bit extra, as think about it they still have to pay their employees to provide this vs other online shops that will just send you the unit and never hear from again,

ill expand on the last point, i can actually name a few like this one of them is A**N ill put it like this not to even give them courtesy. This guy "says" he is in usa but its just a front, the address is some postal store/warehouse, and the phone number is never picked up, i tried chatting him he couldnt answer anything with his broken english, i asked to call he said no cannot call too busy. this was the only time i actually got through to him with chat, other times always always offline, i litterally got lucky, email? forget it, phone? never haha.

5) ill add one more point, they are straight up about their units, what works, what dosnt, what version etc, they have all their problems sorted out, and again if they say they have android 6 version you better believe it that its true unlike agian few other ones that i tried reaching out..

Anyways you guys be the judge. try them out for your self and ull see what i mean...

I guess this might sum up my review?

Last edited by Kiriller; 10-23-2018 at 10:57 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:28 PM

2011 GLK350 4MATIC
Thanks for sharing your experience. It's helpful as I'm thinking of buying a unit for my 2011 GLK350 soon. Does the kit come with good instructions on what to do/where to run cables? I'm also going to attempt to run a backup camera, too. That should definitely test my wire hiding/running skills. I don't anticipate the install will be hard but probably very time consuming.
Old 06-08-2021, 03:13 AM

CLS63 AMG
I'll post a review of install once I have enough info from 4x4 Shop to get started. You have an option to pay extra for live support or use their no cost online/email support. So far responses have been slow or unresponsive to online support. They were a little more expensive than units I've seen sold on eBay and direct from China sources. Figured the extra amount for the unit would be worth it to have support. Time will tell. Anyone buy from them recently?
Old 06-08-2021, 06:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 CLS550
I'm looking at buying this soon. Please keep us posted on the install and your experience using it. Appreciate any info you can provide on the latest version.
Old 08-17-2021, 02:26 PM

GLK 350 4Matic 2011
Cool Experience 2011 GLK 350

I installed a 12.3" from 4x4shop.ca to my GLK350 on the weekend.
I am still wrestling with them about some issues.
Also the install was not straight forward at all and documentation is incomplete.
Support so far has not been overwhelming.
It seems that the GPS module of my unit broke shortly after install.
At first they suggested to use any non-Google offline Navigation???
Structured trouble shooting was rather week so far.
Bummer....
I hope they step up their game and get the issues resolves.
It's a great unit and I dearly hope I can get it to work as advertised.

Will post a comprehensive report here at a later time...
Old 09-13-2021, 08:15 PM

GLK 350 4Matic 2011
Originally Posted by rednammoc
I installed a 12.3" from 4x4shop.ca to my GLK350 on the weekend.
I am still wrestling with them about some issues.
Also the install was not straight forward at all and documentation is incomplete.
Support so far has not been overwhelming.
It seems that the GPS module of my unit broke shortly after install.
At first they suggested to use any non-Google offline Navigation???
Structured trouble shooting was rather week so far.
Bummer....
I hope they step up their game and get the issues resolves.
It's a great unit and I dearly hope I can get it to work as advertised.

Will post a comprehensive report here at a later time...
Got my unit back.
Had to ship back to 4x4 Shop at my expenses!
Turns out the antenna connectors for GPS & 4G were upside down.
Means the unit only worked when you connected the GPS to the 4G connector and vice versa.
This is clearly a production failure. Not only the description on the device was false, the color coding gold/silver was wrong too.
My request to compensate for 50$ shipping was left unanswered!
The unit also came back with a changed factory settings PW.
Had to wait another day to learn that the PW is now 1970 (was 197627).
Not sure of they updated the SW...
I am now still wrestling with the phone blue thooth carplay integration in multiple ways:
1) When connection via wireless carplay (localhost) I have no audio output
2) Audio quality with the build in microphone is very bad, lots of background noise, basically unusable
The external microphone that ships with the unit is better but still not great.
Best audio quality is by keep using the OEM MBbluetooth, but you have to switch over to this manually on the phone during the call.
By default the unit will always connect via Wifi CarPlay (localhost), so you have to switch back to MBbluethooth manually.
I think the newest version on Android 11 fixes this (at least that's what they advertise on they website).

Overall it's actually a great unit, but the so far rather poorly functioning phone integration breaks it.
Making a clean phone call from you car is a MUST WORK FLAWLESSLY, which is doesn't.
I will order a better, high quality microphone now, hoping to get better audio input quality.
This leaves me still with the non working audio output when using CarPlay.
Without a proper working phone integration the unit is only semi-usable to say the least.
I hope there will be a solution for this....keep you posted.
Old 07-18-2022, 12:43 AM

Lexus Es300h
Infotainment

Originally Posted by rednammoc
Got my unit back.
Had to ship back to 4x4 Shop at my expenses!
Turns out the antenna connectors for GPS & 4G were upside down.
Means the unit only worked when you connected the GPS to the 4G connector and vice versa.
This is clearly a production failure. Not only the description on the device was false, the color coding gold/silver was wrong too.
My request to compensate for 50$ shipping was left unanswered!
The unit also came back with a changed factory settings PW.
Had to wait another day to learn that the PW is now 1970 (was 197627).
Not sure of they updated the SW...
I am now still wrestling with the phone blue thooth carplay integration in multiple ways:
1) When connection via wireless carplay (localhost) I have no audio output
2) Audio quality with the build in microphone is very bad, lots of background noise, basically unusable
The external microphone that ships with the unit is better but still not great.
Best audio quality is by keep using the OEM MBbluetooth, but you have to switch over to this manually on the phone during the call.
By default the unit will always connect via Wifi CarPlay (localhost), so you have to switch back to MBbluethooth manually.
I think the newest version on Android 11 fixes this (at least that's what they advertise on they website).

Overall it's actually a great unit, but the so far rather poorly functioning phone integration breaks it.
Making a clean phone call from you car is a MUST WORK FLAWLESSLY, which is doesn't.
I will order a better, high quality microphone now, hoping to get better audio input quality.
This leaves me still with the non working audio output when using CarPlay.
Without a proper working phone integration the unit is only semi-usable to say the least.
I hope there will be a solution for this....keep you posted.

Hi! Any update? Were you issues resolved? I am planning on purchasing the product soon for my car, so any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

Here is the product again for reference, just in case.
https://4x4shop.ca/product/2013-2018...sb-multimedia/