E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Can you buy a W212 in Germany and ship it to U.S.?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w211
Can you buy a W212 in Germany and ship it to U.S.?

I have a crazy idea for my dream car. I like W212 wagon but missed the manual transmission. The other day, I tried to search German used car website and found many wagon with manual transmission, even better with diesel engine. I am wondering if it's possible to buy a used w212 wagon with specification I wanted in Germany and shipped it back. If so, any ideas of the cost?

I remembered a few years ago, I saw a W210 wagon with diesel engine in Ohio. The dealer said the owner bought it in Germany and shipped it to U.S. I didn't know what was the situation. Any knowledge would be appreciated.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
"European delivery" exist for like 100 years
I was very excited about it as you get go fly to Germany, visit MB factory, see your car leaving the assembly, then drive it for few days in Europe ( I think MB paid hotel for only 3 nights) and then, after you drop the car in several possible ports, you fly back home and wait for your car to arrive.
All that for less money than you'd leave at local dealer for the same car.
The difference is that such car is consider used, therefore avoiding huge US taxes.
Local dealers for obvious reason don't want to talk about it, but call MB hotline for current details.Not sure if manual will meet US standards.
Since I have family in Poland and Rome is still on my bucket list, I would pay extra to spend at least 3 weeks in Europe.
The program never work for us as the only MB we bought new was assembled in .... Alabama. Tough luck
Old 11-24-2018, 03:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,495 Likes on 1,168 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
He is referring to used cars. European delivery only applies to new US spec cars that are picked up in Europe and shipped to the US. A used German car in a model that doesn't exist in the US is a completely different item. If the engine doesn't even exist in the US, then you wonder if it would even meet US emissions requirements or US safety standards.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
180 Elegance
Don't see why not. You can import a USA car to the UK so I don't see why you cant do it the other way.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E 350 W212
Not a good idea. You would be missing the Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin that proves the car meets all US standards and regulations. Without that, it is a so-called “grey market” car. Sure, you could ship it to the US, where, lacking the MSO it would be immediately impounded by Customs and you would be charged a fine and have to pay storage on it until such time as you were able to prove that the car you have does in fact meet US requirements. It may or may not, but that’s not the point. You don’t have the documentation and there is no good way of obtaining it.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,190 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
^correct. You will not be able to bring it in. If the car is 25 years old, I believe it is exempt. People bring in older exotics, I.e., Lamborghini Countach etc
Old 11-24-2018, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
You can bring any used car to US, if you retrofit it to US DOT standards.
The procedure was very popular in 1980's when 1$ was buying 3 DM and 2 years old Mercedes in Germany cost about $5,000. Even spending $5k to convert body reinforcement and lights made lot of sense.
But the main issue in last years is emission. You have to get manufacturer statement that car complies with US smog requirements. I was trying to import diesel Smart from Canada and even that seem to be doable, you have to deal with 5 government agencies that don't communicate with each other.
That said, if you find in Europe a car who has engine sticker "complies with US requirements" (and that can happen) - you have straight way to go.
I was drooling over those $3000 diesel wagons in UK, but beside legal requirements, they have steering wheel on wrong side.
1 thing you have to bear in mind.
Would MB USA start bringing here 7-seater, 40 mpg wagons rated for 5000 lb towing, who would buy US build SUV and pickups?

Last edited by kajtek1; 11-24-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,495 Likes on 1,168 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by Donald McPherso
Don't see why not. You can import a USA car to the UK so I don't see why you cant do it the other way.
You can import a car from a more strict country to one that's less strict but that doesn't mean it works the other way around as mentioned above.

They were selling VW beetles in Mexico long after they stopped in the US due to safety, emissions standards.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:04 AM

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts
2010 W212 E550 4matic
You can physically get a EU spec vehicle in the states but unless you're a diplomat, military attache or any sort of foreign dignitary working here you won't be allowed to drive the car legally for more than 1 year. If you want to visit and for whatever reason need to bring your own vehicle from your own country, it is doable, but only for 1 year and the vehicle has to pass inspection for the port state you bring it to or the one you will be residing in.
I tried getting my EU spec E60 530XD here but I learned that homologation was necessary, it would have costed in excess of 50000$ (according to a company which does this profesionally - NJ based if I remember correctly) . Apparently most parts need to be replaced on a EU spec vehicle to make it legal here : windscreen, windows, airbag inflators, DPF, ECU, etc. The reason for this is the registration number each part gets when a vehicle manufacturer builds and gets the vehicle approved with the automotive authorities in the states. Parts might be 100% identical to their European brothers, but it doesn't matter, the code stamped on them is king here. If the manufacturer didn't pay to get it registered and approved for use in the USA then it's no good according to the relevant authorities.
If you're feeling like taking on a project, you can try a tranny swap ( and deal with all the electrical challenges it will bring) but keep in mind the fact that the insurance companies might not pay anything if you get in trouble after such a modification is done to your vehicle.