Android phone as media device issues, ntg 5*1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 11:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 e63s amg
Connecting phone as USB media device issues, ntg 5*1

Hey folks,

I recently picked up a 2016 e63s, and I'm having some trouble with the function and understanding of how my comand system works (or is supposed to). The manual is less than clear on this problem. In preparation for some upgrades, (adding carplay/android auto) I'd like to get the system working correctly.

I know the 2016 E's came with the ntg5s1 (2 usb in the center console) but I can't get the system to activate my device (Samsung galaxy s7 edge) when plugging into either of them. I've tried every micro USB in the house, and as long as I use one rated for data transfer It will prompt me on my phone to allow a data connection when I first plug in. As soon as I click 'allow', my device becomes selectable on the list of devices, but then I select it and get an "activating device" boot screen, and nothing happens.

Bluetooth works perfectly fine, but I would much prefer the wired quality and functionality for my music source, may as well be charging at the same time. As well, for carplay/android auto to work, I need a wired connection. I have yet to try a USB stick, but I'm going to tinker with it today, will report back.

edit: both thumb drives and sd cards work for music and movies, as does the DVD drive. It's just the phone that cant be recognized.

I have tried with multiple quality usb cables, do I need a specific one from MB perhaps? Maybe a firmware update? Does anyone know how to find my current version? I have a tough time believing that it's not as simple as just plugging my phone in with this car, is there something obvious I'm missing? Thanks for the help.

Last edited by bucktown; 11-24-2018 at 03:52 PM. Reason: added info