E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

W212 probably and electrical short issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E200 CGI blue efficiency 2010
W212 probably and electrical short issue

Please i came here seeking guidance because my hands are tied and i do not know what else to do two months ago my mercedes started to act funny (stalling, hesitating, cold starting, at idle or low speeds engine shuts off by its own, at idle the rpm needle bounces up and down so as the car temperature gauge and even the ambient temperature sensor is acting funny from 29 degrees it suddenly jumps to 44 degrees. Even the AC and lights were acting funny fluctuating with the bounces of the rpm needle. So i went to the dealer and he said the car suffers from a series of problems and then he changed (the crankshaft sensor, uplink and downlink boost pressure sensors, the battery, the fuel pumps, the temperature gauge sensor , the ambient temperature sensor, fuel filter, air filter and he even did a oil change service) it costed me around 2000 dollars.
last week the same stuff started to happen once again and i am suspecting it’s an electrical short

somewhere causing the sensors to go bad.
so what i did is i bought a car diagnostic tool and scanned the vehicle myself and the attached photo showed up.
please could someone offer me guidance to what i should do?
Old 12-09-2018, 05:58 AM

Received 225 Likes on 139 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec, 2024 E350 4matic W214, 2014 GLK250 Bluetec, 2000 CLK320 Cabrio
I'd go back to that dealer and tell them that the problem they fixed is still there. You paid them to diagnose and fix a problem, and the same problem is still there.

Has the car ever been in a wreck or flood?
Old 12-10-2018, 10:26 PM

Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts
2016 E350 Sport 2WD
It sounds like the dealer just shotgunned a bunch of parts at your car and charged you a lot of money without finding the true cause of the problems. It happens way too many times. Take it back with your report and see what they have to say. If they do additional work on the car, tell them not to replace any part without concrete solid demonstrable evidence that the part is truly bad. I think you have a circuit problems or problems. Once the circuit problems are identified and repaired, most/all of those DTC's will go away.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:18 PM

i thank you for your attention

Originally Posted by 300SE1993
I'd go back to that dealer and tell them that the problem they fixed is still there. You paid them to diagnose and fix a problem, and the same problem is still there.

Has the car ever been in a wreck or flood?
No the car has never been in a flood nor a wreck and to be honest i am afraid that they will tell me it’s the car ecm.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:20 PM

You are right

Originally Posted by Sunnyslope48
It sounds like the dealer just shotgunned a bunch of parts at your car and charged you a lot of money without finding the true cause of the problems. It happens way too many times. Take it back with your report and see what they have to say. If they do additional work on the car, tell them not to replace any part without concrete solid demonstrable evidence that the part is truly bad. I think you have a circuit problems or problems. Once the circuit problems are identified and repaired, most/all of those DTC's will go away.
i dont know why dealers would do such a thing and it’s probably an electrical issue because there is no other explanation for it but i went throught the sensors wiring diagram they all seem to be attached directly to the car’s ecm i am afraid that it might be the ecm.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:55 PM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 340 Likes on 242 Posts
2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
I think similar to what Sunnyslope posted about possible circuit failure.

Just an idea, a tedious approach would be to try to inspect wiring and connectors of all wiring harnesses that contain the affected circuits. This would include disconnecting, inspecting and reconnecting wiring connectors, including the ones at the end, but also any other connectors in the harnesses.

A frayed harness or corroded/damaged connector could cause these numerous faults. Maybe worth a try before replacing the ecm or SAM.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mud
I think similar to what Sunnyslope posted about possible circuit failure.

Just an idea, a tedious approach would be to try to inspect wiring and connectors of all wiring harnesses that contain the affected circuits. This would include disconnecting, inspecting and reconnecting wiring connectors, including the ones at the end, but also any other connectors in the harnesses.

A frayed harness or corroded/damaged connector could cause these numerous faults. Maybe worth a try before replacing the ecm or SAM.
that is a very good advice sir I’ve went and downloaded the mercedes WIS and got the wiring diagram for those components and I’ll sure go inspect wiring and harnesses and connectors truly appreciated may god bless you.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:26 PM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 340 Likes on 242 Posts
2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
Good luck, I hope you find a solution.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:36 PM

Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts
2016 E350 Sport 2WD
It is my opinion that parts in general (ecm) should not be replaced until and unless there is absolute evidence that the part itself is 'bad'. Since virtually all engine related problems involve the ECM, just saying it 'could be' or it 'might be' or it 'probably is' the ECM is not sufficient. Dealerships and garages have oscilloscopes and scanners that few of us could afford that will help them identify the exact problem(s). They allow well trained techs to have the precise evidence that is required to determine what should be replaced and what is a false lead.

With as many parts having already been changed without any evidence of defect, it doesn't take much to see that the answer is almost certainly not changing more parts including the ECM. Conversely, why would all of those parts be changed if the ECM was the problem?? They can't have it both ways. And they shouldn't be guessing.