Wheel bearings (front)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 617 Likes on 388 Posts
2014 E350 4-matic Sport & 2020 GLS450
Wheel bearings (front)

I’m pretty sure I’ve got a wheel bearing going bad in the front on mine. Dealership fixed the two bent rims, it’s as smooth as glass and straight as an arrow, but I still get this low hum groaning noise at 65mph-85mph, then the wind noise kicks in too much for me to hear it. Also starting to get it at lower speeds too, and, can’t really explain it very well, but the buttery smooth feel in the brake pedal and steering wheel isn’t quite what it used to be. For a car that’s had a history of pot hole hits (two rims completely replaced via previous owner), the brutal winters here as of late (and the mountain of sand and salt they put down), it wouldn’t surprise me to be honest. I thought brake rotors, but they’ve only got like 12k of highway mileage on them and no emergency stops, they shouldn’t be warped.

Questions - can anyone post up part numbers for front bearings on a 2014 4matic sedan (v6)?

Youtube videos looks pretty simple. But youtube makes flying a 747 look simple too... so, pretty easy gig to change them as DIY for a relatively decent DIY’r? If parts are less than $400 in online world, I’d rather not have to waste my time trying to convince the dealership via the CPO warranty on this one, and instead just get it done and keep motoring. It’s a royal pain to get to my dealership of choice.

Thanks!!
Old 12-10-2018, 11:54 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 Evo X Gsr, 2012 Mercedes-Benz E350 sport
How old are your tires? Is the sound consistent regardless of different types of roads? If tires haven't been rotated regularly can cause this noise as well.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto

2219810406. Wind noise see attached bulletin & image.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LI88.20-P-056908_Ver_1.pdf (36.5 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by konigstiger; 12-10-2018 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 617 Likes on 388 Posts
2014 E350 4-matic Sport & 2020 GLS450
Thanks K’! You’re a living legend around here!!

Army, the tires are less than 2 years old with maybe 20k on them (one new). They were put in with CPO purchase of the car. Standard Continental’s that MB puts on them. I was thinking the same as you, but considering I’ve been chasing this down now for awhile and the tires/wheels have been looked at over and over again via the dealership, I’m leaning towards a bearing. Sounds and almost starting feel just like one going out. I might be wrong, but for $200, why not give it a try. If wrong, well then I’ve got two new front bearings out of it... the noise is constant regardless of road type. One thing that does seem to affect it is outside temp and humidity, but not by much. Hot/humid, not as pronounced by any means. Cold and dry, and I can hear and feel it on my gas pedal, steering wheel, and brake pedal. Might be a situation where the bearing could use a repack with fresh grease, but think they’re sealed and if not, would rather just go with a new one anyway.

Is the process pretty straight forward for these cars? Any “Mercedes” tricks to look out for?

Thanks!!
Old 12-14-2018, 10:37 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 E550 4Matic
I've had my bearings changed recently . The bearings are $100 each. If you do not have a hydraulic press just pay someone to install it. The think I paid $200

​​​​​​BTW I've been buying all my parts from FCPeuro.com
Old 12-17-2018, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 940 Likes on 686 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by nc211
Thanks K’! You’re a living legend around here!!

Army, the tires are less than 2 years old with maybe 20k on them (one new). They were put in with CPO purchase of the car. Standard Continental’s that MB puts on them. I was thinking the same as you, but considering I’ve been chasing this down now for awhile and the tires/wheels have been looked at over and over again via the dealership, I’m leaning towards a bearing. Sounds and almost starting feel just like one going out. I might be wrong, but for $200, why not give it a try. If wrong, well then I’ve got two new front bearings out of it... the noise is constant regardless of road type. One thing that does seem to affect it is outside temp and humidity, but not by much. Hot/humid, not as pronounced by any means. Cold and dry, and I can hear and feel it on my gas pedal, steering wheel, and brake pedal. Might be a situation where the bearing could use a repack with fresh grease, but think they’re sealed and if not, would rather just go with a new one anyway.

Is the process pretty straight forward for these cars? Any “Mercedes” tricks to look out for?

Thanks!!

Does the noise change when you load one side of the car from turning?