E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

IAT coolant in Si-OAT Car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E Class W212
Question IAT coolant in Si-OAT Car

I have Mercedes e class w212 (OM651), 2014 model, mileage is about 40K. I think my car had “MA000 989 28 25/09” (Si-OAT ?), pink colour coolant, as per my MB service centre.

325.5 -->

https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevol....5&suchbegriff=

I left my car for a major service at Halfords autocentre, Halfords messed up the coolant by adding different type of coolant without flushing out the existing coolant. Infact coolant replacement was not needed at all, I just topped with water, MB was also fine with that. As a result coolant colour changed orange, I had to go for coolant flush and Halfords offered free coolant flush. I offered to bring the coolant myself this time. But, Halfords said that they can fix it & don’t worry about it. But this time, they replaced the coolant with IAT type coolant, universal one, which is about 1/9th of Mercedes coolant cost. Halfords promised to use comma. I noticed this while topping up in two days of time with the same guy. I don’t want to go to Halfords again. I don’t trust them anymore.

Lessons learned: This is what you get for 40GBP coolant work and don’t go to Halfords for any more than bulb change. Halfords autocentre don’t have any clue about OAT & IAT type coolants eventhough Halfords website preaches whole world about different type of coolants . All they know is that colour of the coolant. Change blue with blue, pink with pink.

Googling shows that

Si-OAT in Mercedes brand , it is pink/red

Si-OAT in Comma, G40, it is blue

Si-OAT in Halfords own brand, it is pink

Si-OAT in Universal one such as autochem, it is pink

I am seeing mixed information in online, “it is ok to leave IAT in OAT cars, but not vice versa”.

Is there any issue in leaving in IAT coolant in Si-OAT cars? I know that I need to replace the coolant in two years of time. Will it affect any components or any functionality of the car?