Starting trouble

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
Starting trouble

My 2014 E 350 has the first real starting trouble. I didn’t use it for about a week and was told by wife that car wouldn’t start. When I checked the battery seemed dead.
So I called roadside assistance to jump start the car. Well they came but it wouldn’t start. It just kept cranking in jerks every one second intervals. Whenever he would disconnect the jumper cable the entire power inside car gets cut off and the guy said that should not happen normally. Called in Mercedes helpline and they sent another guy who tried as well and finally towed it to the dealership on a flatbed. Anyone has an idea what could be wrong. The car has extended warranty (7 years) and I’m hoping that will take care of the problem for now. Dealership stated they would probably look into the car tomorrow. I’ll try to post a video of the crank efforts. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 350
In case anyone is interested, it was the starter battery that failed. Dealership changed that for about $400 and unfortunately that is not covered by the extended warranty.

Edit: I could not directly add a video file even though .mov is listed to be an accepted file in the website. I posted the original video on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBfFL-H_uMc&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by pamiboy; 01-24-2019 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Add video link
Old 01-24-2019, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Starter battery? Do they mean the main battery under the hood? I would have thought that jumping the car with sufficient source would overcome a dead battery.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:52 PM

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
2013 E550 4MATIC - P1, P2, SPORT
I don't think the E350 has a dedicated starter battery. (Though I could be wrong!) I suspect they just replaced the main battery.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 350
Originally Posted by thefisch
Starter battery? Do they mean the main battery under the hood? I would have thought that jumping the car with sufficient source would overcome a dead battery.
That's what they told me over the phone. I asked the same question to the lady but she couldn't clarify further. The car is still with the dealership which is about 40 miles away. They will deliver it to me tomorrow.

Originally Posted by TeeEl
I don't think the E350 has a dedicated starter battery. (Though I could be wrong!) I suspect they just replaced the main battery.
You are right. I believe what they are referring to is the main battery. As you know the E 350 has an auxiliary battery located in the trunk (which is used for auto stop- start).

A few years ago I had to replace the aux battery but at that time, a message indicated "Aux battery failure". This time, everything was dead though.