E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Possible 2013 E350 4matic purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 e350 4matic
Possible 2013 E350 4matic purchase

Please bare with me folks , My father passed away this week and I have a chance to purchase his car from estate .
2013 E350 4 Matic 35,000 miles ,my brother tells me it's the top of the line model . I'd love to have my dads car but my only concern is I hear horror stories of transfer cases going bad early . From what I understand pre 2014 the trans. and transfer case are all 1 unit and 2014 on their 2 separate units ? Any help appreciated . Ken
Old 02-12-2019, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,625 Likes on 1,192 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Post up some links to these horror stories you are reading all about. I enjoy reading them also.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:16 PM

2013 e350 4matic
Originally Posted by KEY08
Post up some links to these horror stories you are reading all about. I enjoy reading them also.
Im looking for input , not snarky remarks . Thank you
Old 02-12-2019, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,625 Likes on 1,192 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Fair enough. First off, my condolences in your loss. Both of my parents are gone and I know how hard that can be. There are thousands of 4Matic cars out there and Mercedes is always working to improve their products. To the best of my knowledge the 2013 4Matic transfer case is still serviceable within the 7g tronic transmission if there is a problem specific to it. The older W211 had a separate TC altogether, but this has been eliminated. The 7G and 7G+ have an integrated TC and in some cases the entire transmission needs to be replaced for a proper repair. There are minimal posts on this site with people having transfer case issues. When you think about how many 4Matic equipped cars are out there running around and how little posts there are concerning failures, I would not use the term horror stories to describe the average issue. I agree that some people have complete horror stories with many aspects of these cars and finding resolution. Many of these breakdowns can be contributed to lack of maintenance. If your father's car has been well maintained and you wish to continue the proper maintenance of it then you should buy it. These cars are not inexpensive to maintain. They do take some extra effort to change all fluids on time and replacement parts are not inexpensive. When functioning properly they are one of the safest and smoothest highway cruisers you can buy, bar none. They will provide many years and miles of service to their owners if taken care of. My suggestion is to buy it. If you have any issues with it post here. There are many owners who can assist you with a proper direction to solving most issues you may encounter. Top of the line loaded up models are very rare and this sounds like a great opportunity.
The following users liked this post:
raja777m (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 06:41 PM

2013 e350 4matic
Originally Posted by KEY08
Fair enough. First off, my condolences in your loss. Both of my parents are gone and I know how hard that can be. There are thousands of 4Matic cars out there and Mercedes is always working to improve their products. To the best of my knowledge the 2013 4Matic transfer case is still serviceable within the 7g tronic transmission if there is a problem specific to it. The older W211 had a separate TC altogether, but this has been eliminated. The 7G and 7G+ have an integrated TC and in some cases the entire transmission needs to be replaced for a proper repair. There are minimal posts on this site with people having transfer case issues. When you think about how many 4Matic equipped cars are out there running around and how little posts there are concerning failures, I would not use the term horror stories to describe the average issue. I agree that some people have complete horror stories with many aspects of these cars and finding resolution. Many of these breakdowns can be contributed to lack of maintenance. If your father's car has been well maintained and you wish to continue the proper maintenance of it then you should buy it. These cars are not inexpensive to maintain. They do take some extra effort to change all fluids on time and replacement parts are not inexpensive. When functioning properly they are one of the safest and smoothest highway cruisers you can buy, bar none. They will provide many years and miles of service to their owners if taken care of. My suggestion is to buy it. If you have any issues with it post here. There are many owners who can assist you with a proper direction to solving most issues you may encounter. Top of the line loaded up models are very rare and this sounds like a great opportunity.
Thanks for your reply and condolences . Your reply helped calm me on the issue I was concerned about . The car is in show room condition and I'm sure I will like it .
Old 02-13-2019, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,026 Likes on 744 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Had to have my transfer case rebuilt on my 2010 120K miles E3504matic. $3200 with transmission fluid change. Car has been fully serviced. Transmission fluid changes on time. They are matched sets as in you can't buy a separate unit. If you go to the dealer you are in for a new transmission $8500 but as you can see they can be rebuilt separate from the transmission.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 02-13-2019 at 07:32 PM.