Do not pay these stealership prices.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
Originally Posted by 2011E350
Thenew3 and all others. Elbe carefulmof the dealer washes. I personally try to avoid them. Here is the logic.

Some and probably most dealer use a automated wash system similar to the ones at the local car wash/auto spa. Here is the problem. That automated system has brushes or cloths that are 1 Most likely not changed or even cleaned as much as they should be. 2. All the dirt, micro contaminants from previous washes are probably embedded in the brushes and have a very high probability of being brushed across your car. They are called automated scratch installers for a reason. If you have a dealer or shop that uses a hand wash as in human hand wash with proper drying techniques then fine, other wise I stay away. Same deal for rental vehicles. Have you ever noticed that they don’t dry and in most cases look worse than not washing at all? Add the local fund raiser car washes to that list. They are the worst, they use terry cloth towels and again add swirls and scratches.

I decline the wash about 99 percent of the time for this very reason.
Thanks for the warning. My dealer uses an actual human to wash it. Granted it's just a quick wash and not a complete detail, it's better than nothing. Depending on the individual doing the wash, sometimes it's come out very clean, other times they forget the wheels or return it to me still completely wet.
No scratches over 6 years so far. (knock on wood)