Notices
E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Amazon Oil

 
Old 02-27-2019, 02:58 AM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
BubaE350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: P. Pines, FL
Posts: 19
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E350
Amazon Oil

Amazon has been selling oil? Didn't know. Has anyone used Amazon Basics motor oil yet? Check out Scotty's review on YouTube. I think the only oil we can buy would be the fully synthetic 5W-30. Would that grade oil be ok to use in our engines?

Last edited by BubaE350; 02-27-2019 at 03:16 AM.
BubaE350 is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 09:48 AM
  #2  
Mud
Super Member
 
Mud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 860
Liked 166 Times in 134 Posts
2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
I believe it's blended by Warren Oil Co., essentially the equivalent of Supertech oil. Check it out on bobistheoilguy.com, in their passenger car oil forum section.
This can easily turn into a "best oil" thread lol.

Last edited by Mud; 02-27-2019 at 10:01 AM.
Mud is online now  
Old 02-27-2019, 10:45 AM
  #3  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
KEY08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 3,316
Liked 365 Times in 342 Posts
2014 E550 4Matic Designo Diamond White and loaded up
Yeah, not getting into an oil discussion. Enjoy your car!
KEY08 is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 10:56 AM
  #4  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: V E G A S
Posts: 5,153
Liked 448 Times in 422 Posts
E250 BTC/ E320 BTC SL500
The guy on video can be entertaining, but I don't take crucial advises from clown.
kajtek1 is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by kajtek1:
C280 Sport (02-27-2019), dlafever (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 11:11 AM
  #5  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,032
Liked 42 Times in 35 Posts
2012 E550 4matic TT
Lol, can't afford $50 for a couple of jugs of Mobil 1 from Wal-Mart??? Maybe MB is not the car for you.
jonUF02 is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 12:35 PM
  #6  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 150
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
2016 E350
To offer a contrary thought, this Amazon oil (using proper weight) COULD BE a very good oil for SOME people. Those who don't drive a lot, those who do not use their cars in severe conditions, those who change their oil at the proper intervals with good quality filter, etc. I don't think I have ever read a post in this forum about their car engine failing some way because of the oil they used. We all like to buy 'the best of the best' oil for our cars - but that may not be a real world requirement.
Sunnyslope48 is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 01:03 PM
  #7  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: V E G A S
Posts: 5,153
Liked 448 Times in 422 Posts
E250 BTC/ E320 BTC SL500
Originally Posted by Sunnyslope48 View Post
To offer a contrary thought, this Amazon oil (using proper weight) COULD BE a very good oil for SOME people. Those who don't drive a lot, those who do not use their cars in severe conditions, those who change their oil at the proper intervals with good quality filter, etc. I don't think I have ever read a post in this forum about their car engine failing some way because of the oil they used. We all like to buy 'the best of the best' oil for our cars - but that may not be a real world requirement.
Go to diesel section and find topic about seized Bluetecs. Amazingly relatively new engines seized under dealer maintenance. It was not clearly said, but reading long topic, look to me that dealer used the oil he had in barrels for older cars, not the one recommended for new era engine.
There is no way driver can judge quality of oil. I do send samples to Blackstone, but even their test have comments with tongue in check.
Bottom line, if you are willing to risk $10,000 engine only to save $20 on approved oil - don't forget to come back and report 20,000 miles later.
kajtek1 is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 01:40 PM
  #8  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 184
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
E250 Diesel
Originally Posted by jonUF02 View Post
Lol, can't afford $50 for a couple of jugs of Mobil 1 from Wal-Mart??? Maybe MB is not the car for you.
then, what kind of car do you recommend to someone trying to save some money???
mellonc is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 03:06 PM
  #9  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 150
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
2016 E350
Originally Posted by kajtek1 View Post
Go to diesel section and find topic about seized Bluetecs. Amazingly relatively new engines seized under dealer maintenance. It was not clearly said, but reading long topic, look to me that dealer used the oil he had in barrels for older cars, not the one recommended for new era engine.
There is no way driver can judge quality of oil. I do send samples to Blackstone, but even their test have comments with tongue in check.
Bottom line, if you are willing to risk $10,000 engine only to save $20 on approved oil - don't forget to come back and report 20,000 miles later.
Did some of the new seized Blutecs use Mobil 1? Without going thru all the posts, sounds to me like it was an engine design problem, not a specific brand of oil problem.

Sunnyslope48 is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 03:17 PM
  #10  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
rustybear3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Greater Cleveland area
Posts: 1,099
Liked 92 Times in 83 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet
Originally Posted by jonUF02 View Post
Lol, can't afford $50 for a couple of jugs of Mobil 1 from Wal-Mart??? Maybe MB is not the car for you.
Originally Posted by mellonc View Post
then, what kind of car do you recommend to someone trying to save some money???
Let's see:
  • Nissan Versa Sedan - $12,815
  • Chevrolet Spark - $12,995
  • Mitsubishi Mirage - $13,790
  • smart fortwo - $14,090
  • Ford Fiesta - $14,790
  • Kia Rio - $14,815
  • Nissan Versa Note - $15,005.


rustybear3 is online now  
Old 02-27-2019, 03:32 PM
  #11  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
DFWdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 1,928
Liked 102 Times in 81 Posts
2016 E350 Sport... 2001 C320 Avant Garde...
Originally Posted by mellonc View Post
then, what kind of car do you recommend to someone trying to save some money???
I drove my older MB to work (normal commute, about 10,000 miles) for many years. At no time did the onboard oil monitoring system tell me to change the oil more than once a year (often there was 3,500 miles left).
For other cars who recommend oil changes every 3,000 miles, you would need to change oil at least 3-4 times for every change in the Mercedes. Do the math.

Accordingly, I've never considered any amount of money spent on Mobil 1 0-40w and a dealer filter element to be expensive, or even remotely expensive. Actually a savings...

I would go outside at night and bark at the moon before buying Amazon oil.

Last edited by DFWdude; 02-27-2019 at 03:34 PM.
DFWdude is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 05:01 PM
  #12  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
BubaE350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: P. Pines, FL
Posts: 19
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E350
I didn't ask about this oil because of the cost, but if they were claiming that the oil was as good or better than let's say, Mobil synthetic. Then why not use it?
BubaE350 is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 05:20 PM
  #13  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,032
Liked 42 Times in 35 Posts
2012 E550 4matic TT
If you want to save $8.20 once a year by using Amazon oil at grade of 5w30 you should go for it. I'll keep using the recommended spec of Mobil 1 0w40 in my expensive engine.
jonUF02 is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 05:27 PM
  #14  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,032
Liked 42 Times in 35 Posts
2012 E550 4matic TT
If you keep an eye out, Mobil frequently has rebates. Last time I got $12 per 5qt jug rebate, so it would actually be a lot cheaper, coming in around $13 per 5qt.
jonUF02 is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 05:27 PM
  #15  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: California
Posts: 169
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
2013 E550 4MATIC - P1, P2, SPORT
Originally Posted by jonUF02 View Post
Lol, can't afford $50 for a couple of jugs of Mobil 1 from Wal-Mart??? Maybe MB is not the car for you.
To be fair, you could say that about anything related to the car. "Can't afford $185 an hour dealership labor feeds? Maybe MB is not the car for you."
TeeEl is online now  
Old 02-27-2019, 05:32 PM
  #16  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: V E G A S
Posts: 5,153
Liked 448 Times in 422 Posts
E250 BTC/ E320 BTC SL500
Originally Posted by Sunnyslope48 View Post
Did some of the new seized Blutecs use Mobil 1? Without going thru all the posts, sounds to me like it was an engine design problem, not a specific brand of oil problem.
Mobil is having 4th or 5th generation of oils for diesels in 12 years.
I don't use the brand anymore, so can't give you specifics, but that gives an idea, how crucial oil quality can be on modern cars.
Sure for pre 2000 models, you can use anything that meets SD classification.
kajtek1 is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 05:38 PM
  #17  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,032
Liked 42 Times in 35 Posts
2012 E550 4matic TT
Originally Posted by TeeEl View Post
To be fair, you could say that about anything related to the car. "Can't afford $185 an hour dealership labor feeds? Maybe MB is not the car for you."
Another true statement. I tell people all the time that MB is probably not a good choice if you can't DIY simple maintenance or be ready for dealer service pricing. Everyone asks me about maintaining my 7yr old out of warranty at 90k+ miles Mercedes. This is what I tell them. If you're questioning the cost of ownership buy a Camry.
​​
jonUF02 is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 05:40 PM
  #18  
Mud
Super Member
 
Mud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 860
Liked 166 Times in 134 Posts
2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by BubaE350 View Post
I didn't ask about this oil because of the cost, but if they were claiming that the oil was as good or better than let's say, Mobil synthetic. Then why not use it?
Claims are one thing, oil analysis data tells the real story.
There's nothing magic about this oil, even today's regular non-synth oils are quite good. As I mentioned it appears to be very similar to Supertech oil. ST oil isn't bad stuff as evidenced thru oil analysis. My personal choice for my E350 is M1 0w40, for our 5.3 pickup its QS ultimate full synth, but I'm not telling anyone else what they have to do. I do a once a year Blackstone oil analysis on each vehicle to see actual results.

I'm not sure what sort of answer you're looking for. If you want to use it then use it.
Mud is online now  
The following 3 users liked this post by Mud:
FireRx Captain (03-02-2019), Oda112 (02-28-2019), TeeEl (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 05:58 PM
  #19  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
BubaE350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: P. Pines, FL
Posts: 19
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E350
Oh god, I hope MB isn't bottling their MB 229.5 oil at Warren Industries. Can you imagine?
BubaE350 is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 06:03 PM
  #20  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: California
Posts: 169
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
2013 E550 4MATIC - P1, P2, SPORT
Originally Posted by jonUF02 View Post
If you're questioning the cost of ownership buy a Camry.​​
Yup! Exactly. I think some people (myself included) don't realize the cost bump when you move into a luxury brand though. But I'm not the sort to complain about it being ridiculous. It's a Benz. It epitomizes "You get what you pay for."
TeeEl is online now  
Old 02-27-2019, 06:39 PM
  #21  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
cetialpha5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: MA
Posts: 3,364
Liked 351 Times in 314 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by jonUF02 View Post
If you keep an eye out, Mobil frequently has rebates. Last time I got $12 per 5qt jug rebate, so it would actually be a lot cheaper, coming in around $13 per 5qt.
They do that about twice a year. If they keep the same schedule, the next rebate should kick in March 1 - May 31st. They usually allow for two 5 quart jugs. And they explicitly exclude Amazon from the list of participating retailers, but Walmart has been fine. So cheaper than Amazon oil.

Also while Amazon has 5w40 and 0w40, it doesn't list any MB or even BMW approvals on the back. According to the MB sheets, it's not an approved oil. And there's lots of oils on the list, even ones from Beijing.

Their 0w40 at $24.99 isn't even much cheaper than Mobil 1 at Walmart which is $25.47.

https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.5_en.html

Amazon Amazon

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-0...-5-qt/23636902
cetialpha5 is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 06:41 PM
  #22  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
cetialpha5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: MA
Posts: 3,364
Liked 351 Times in 314 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by TeeEl View Post
Yup! Exactly. I think some people (myself included) don't realize the cost bump when you move into a luxury brand though. But I'm not the sort to complain about it being ridiculous. It's a Benz. It epitomizes "You get what you pay for."
I don't know what that means. So if you get two jugs of Mobil 1 0w40 for about $13.47 each after the $12 rebate, did you get what you paid for?
cetialpha5 is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 07:00 PM
  #23  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: California
Posts: 169
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
2013 E550 4MATIC - P1, P2, SPORT
Originally Posted by cetialpha5 View Post
I don't know what that means. So if you get two jugs of Mobil 1 0w40 for about $13.47 each after the $12 rebate, did you get what you paid for?
... Yes? No? Is this a trick question? Or just an attempt to call out a flaw in a colloquialism?

Whatever. If you're really trying to pick nits I would argue that you got exactly what you paid for because you paid the cost of the item you receive. Thus it applies to everything you purchase. If you buy a Benz for a dollar, you got what you paid for because you receive the car for the agreed upon price. Are you done being pedantic?
TeeEl is online now  
Old 02-27-2019, 11:50 PM
  #24  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 150
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
2016 E350
Originally Posted by cetialpha5 View Post
Also while Amazon has 5w40 and 0w40, it doesn't list any MB or even BMW approvals on the back. According to the MB sheets, it's not an approved oil. A

https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.5_en.html
The current listing of MB229.5 approved oils does include Mobil 1.
Sunnyslope48 is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 07:44 AM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
aquinob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Portsmouth, VA
Posts: 401
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
2010 E350, Sold 1998 C230
The amazon oil for 5w 40 is selling for 30 bucks for 6 quarts. That is for their Euro spec formula that does not meet MB spec 229.5. The are selling Mobil 1 in 0w 40 that does meet MB 229.5 for 25.47 for 5 quarts. My math says that is about 5 bucks a quart either way. So what is the motivation to go with the Amazon oil again?

BTW, I have seen a few of Scotty's vids and he is an idiot. Never liked MB's because they didnt put a dipstick in the tranny, even though you could buy one aftermarket and use it. That was back in the day with the older 90's vintage cars.
aquinob is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Quick Reply: Amazon Oil


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: