E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Tires Lifespan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2019 | 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
You'd let a Mercedes dealer ....

put tires on your car? Jeez, I"m not sure which is worse....
If your town is big enough for an MB dealer, it's big enough to have a performance tire store who knows how to properly mount, dismount, and road force a large diameter tire. I guess if you're at 17" or below, then, OK...maybe, but still...
Just my .02, carry on....
Old 10-19-2019 | 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
Originally Posted by allenjdmb
put tires on your car? Jeez, I"m not sure which is worse....
If your town is big enough for an MB dealer, it's big enough to have a performance tire store who knows how to properly mount, dismount, and road force a large diameter tire. I guess if you're at 17" or below, then, OK...maybe, but still...
Just my .02, carry on....
Hah, my town is big enough to have MB, BMW, Audi, Lexus, Volvo, Porsche, Tesla, Jaguar, Land Rover, Maserati dealers but no real tire store except a couple of mom & pop stores. Costco does do a very good job mounting and balancing tires in my experience.
Old 10-19-2019 | 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
My town has Ferrari and Bentley dealers.
Old 10-19-2019 | 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by thenew3
Hah, my town is big enough to have MB, BMW, Audi, Lexus, Volvo, Porsche, Tesla, Jaguar, Land Rover, Maserati dealers but no real tire store except a couple of mom & pop stores. Costco does do a very good job mounting and balancing tires in my experience.
My boss goes there for tires also. He likes to tip them. I guess it works, he hasn't had any problems. Then again I go there also and don't tip and they're still fine.
Old 10-19-2019 | 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by chassis
I'm with DFWdude. Carmaker tire pressure recommendations are different (lower) than the max pressure printed on the sidewall by the tire manufacturer.

Carmakers, as most manufacturers, are all about avoiding complaints about subjective attributes, such as ride quality as it relates to tires. Therefore a low-ish pressure is specified by M-B to produce a comfortable ride. Tire longevity and fuel economy both benefit from the highest inflation possible, up to the point of excessive center tread wear.

I measured, very carefully, excessive shoulder wear when the tires were inflated to M-B's recommendation. Since I have overinflated to 45-48psi, tread wear has evened out across the tire. Ride is not noticeably different. Fuel consumption is maybe 0.1mpg better, for sure it is not worse. My goals in operating a vehicle are longevity and fuel efficiency, with adequate ride quality. At this moment, I am achieving these goals.
Each tire has its own pressure for certain load. An example of this is when I installed Nokian zLine tires and after a few thousand miles noticed tires wearing more at edges. I contacted Nokian R&D department and gave them my car's weight at each axle. Without extra load they told me to cold inflate to 35 psi instead of the 32 psi I used as that is what the car says. This fixed the uneven wear.

Since that I have used 35-37 psi cold pressure on all of the tires I have used and none has shown faster wear in the center yet. With some tires looks like I should use even higher pressure that 35 psi so I went to 37 psi.

Tires I have used are Nokian and and Michelin after the awful Contis the car came with.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (10-19-2019)
Old 10-19-2019 | 08:14 PM
Out Of Control!!
MBWorld Ambassador

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Arrie, which Michelins did you use? I have gotten good performance from Goodyear Eagle LS2 but they are an older model and getting hard to find.
Old 10-19-2019 | 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by chassis
Arrie, which Michelins did you use? I have gotten good performance from Goodyear Eagle LS2 but they are an older model and getting hard to find.
Michelins I have currently on my car are the MXM4 . These tires suck for wet traction. Actually worse than Sumitomos I tried before these.

The best wet traction by far has been with Nokian zLine. Absolutely awesome wet traction and very quiet tire but it seems they stopped making it for U.S. market in my staggered rear size. They have a new one which is zLine A/S but I don't think it is as good for wet. But I think it is lots better than these Michelins that cost twice as much.

I drive in summer conditions at all times so I don't need all season tires. My biggest concern is wet traction during very heavy southern downpours. zLine has been way better than any big name brand tire.

My first MB came with Pirelli P-Zero tires. Total garbage for wet traction. My current car came with Continentals. A little less noise compared to Pirellis but no better wet traction. Nokians have been by far the best. Current Michelins are by far the worst.

Last edited by Arrie; 10-28-2019 at 07:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DFWdude (10-20-2019)