MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   brake pads and rotor (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/738119-brake-pads-rotor.html)

mrjetskey 03-09-2019 12:56 PM

brake pads and rotor

I will be replacing pads and rotor soon on 2013 e350 What type is recommended that doesn't have as much brake dust as the merc. pads I mean after 4 or 5 days the wheels are coated with dust. Is it just the Benz pads? Thanks

wally AMG 03-09-2019 05:35 PM

Yes, most MB pads are like that, is like the factory pads signature, maybe you can try Akebono?

VegasE 03-10-2019 09:00 AM

Lots of folks here like Akebono. I went with EBC red pads and their slotted rotors. Better initial bite than OEM, no noise, no dust, no fade. Check prices on Amazon and then call the factory store and they will match any amazon price.

Mud 03-10-2019 09:48 AM

Akebono pads and Zimmerman rotors seem to be well regarded. I also went the ceramic pad route but with less expensive parts, including blank rotors to replace the front drilled rotors. Don't forget this is a good time to flush brake fluid.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...2011-e350.html

mrjetskey 03-10-2019 11:59 AM

thanks for the quick replys, I always flush brake lines vwhen changing pads on any car or truck of mine.I don't understand why the rotors are scarred up , pads were changed by dealer on mb print out at 30k . Upon closer inspection of other new MB (a s model with 18k) it also had rotors that had grooves . Is it that merc.uses soft iron rotors? I mean my Tacoma has 84,000 miles (pads @ 45K)and discs are smooth . I am going to change rotors also my question should have read my wife drives it and is hard on brakes, is it best to go with ceramic or metallic based pads for everyday driving with wife who brakes hard??? Thanks again!!

kajtek1 03-10-2019 12:35 PM

All rotors are cast iron so it is soft metal.
Groves on them most of the time are result of inconsistent pads material.
In US replacing rotors for no reason become popular trend, but unless you have very deep groves, the replacement can be judged only by comparing the thickness to min thickness who is stamped on the.
Each time you see recommendation for rotors replacement without thickens given - that means somebody is trying to milk you.

ghlkal 03-10-2019 09:18 PM

On my 2012 E550, the Akebonos sequeeled. I put these on, and they are quiet
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...searchTerm=pad
I don't know who manufactures these, but at 1/2 the price of OEM pads, I'm happy.

YMMV

[IIRC Akebonos are the OEM pad for MB]

cetialpha5 03-10-2019 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mud (Post 7701774)
Akebono pads and Zimmerman rotors seem to be well regarded. I also went the ceramic pad route but with less expensive parts, including blank rotors to replace the front drilled rotors. Don't forget this is a good time to flush brake fluid.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...2011-e350.html

I have the Zimmerman rotors on my 2011 with the Akebono pads. Regular Akebono pads only have a 30 day warranty. If you get the pads and rotors from FCPeuro, they have a lifetime warranty on all the parts they sell so you won't have to buy them again. Akebono are fine, no dust. I will say that the brakes don't seem as aggressive as OEM. Basically with the oem, it felt like sometimes you'd stop way faster than you wanted to, with the Akebono, it felt normal, but if you plant your foot more, it'd of course stop faster. They have a few other pads listed, you could try some of the other ones. But yeah, one thing great about Akebono is no brake dust, but slightly weaker braking power is the result of the ceramic pads. With OEM, wheels were covered in brake dust in 2 weeks. Now I do a car wash and I don't even bother wiping off the wheels because there's no dust on them.

nc211 03-11-2019 07:45 AM

I replaced all of mine shortly after I bought it roughly 2 years and 15k miles ago. Went genuine MB on the pads and rotors. I don’t have this problem with brake dust build up though, never really have. But when I did the job, I also detailed each wheel with a clay bar inside and out, polish, wax, and then wipe new wheel protectant inside and out. Nothing really builds up or sticks too badly, and have found that rain will basically wash whatever is present on the rim away quickly.

My only gripe is the front drilled rotors. Love the look, hate the groaning noise they cause under moderate braking. I’m coming to the conclusion the drilled holes serve no real purpose other than looks and to collect up a bunch of crap in them that ultimately gets scraped across the rotor surface. I’ll certainly be changing them to normal vented rotors maybe this year.

cetialpha5 03-11-2019 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by nc211 (Post 7702442)
I replaced all of mine shortly after I bought it roughly 2 years and 15k miles ago. Went genuine MB on the pads and rotors. I don’t have this problem with brake dust build up though, never really have. But when I did the job, I also detailed each wheel with a clay bar inside and out, polish, wax, and then wipe new wheel protectant inside and out. Nothing really builds up or sticks too badly, and have found that rain will basically wash whatever is present on the rim away quickly.

My only gripe is the front drilled rotors. Love the look, hate the groaning noise they cause under moderate braking. I’m coming to the conclusion the drilled holes serve no real purpose other than looks and to collect up a bunch of crap in them that ultimately gets scraped across the rotor surface. I’ll certainly be changing them to normal vented rotors maybe this year.

No groaning noises here, either with the previous oem setup or the aftermarket Zimmerman ones. Maybe you need to grease the various parts like the pins.

Mud 03-11-2019 01:45 PM

^^ proper lube of the pins is critical, look at info about that in my brake work link posted above.
Plus of course pistons need to move freely.

belarus27 03-12-2019 12:38 PM

Was looking for plain front rotors couldnt find them for 550 back like a year ago.
If anybody knows where to look , post here please.

Mud 03-12-2019 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by belarus27 (Post 7703540)
Was looking for plain front rotors couldnt find them for 550 back like a year ago.
If anybody knows where to look , post here please.

You may have already gone down this road, but Rockauto or R1 Concepts?

belarus27 03-13-2019 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mud (Post 7703645)
You may have already gone down this road, but Rockauto or R1 Concepts?

Yes i checked rockauto , pelicanparts , autohaus...etc. at that moment there was none.
Havent checked r1 , not that i remember , maybe i did.
On centric rotors and pads now.