2013 E550 with reverse light trouble

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 09:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 E550 - AMP+MPP packages
2013 E550 with reverse light trouble

Hello,

Yesterday, out of nowhere, my car started giving me a rear left side reverse light warning.

I decided to upgrade the lighting with some Sylvania 921 led found locally. After installing the bulb on faulty side, it wouldn't work. So I went on and tried the right side, where the bulb worked but produced a second canbus error for the right side (so I know I won't use those led because of the conflict but it is indeed working).

Now, I got out a tester and had 12v on the right side reverse light and no voltage at all on the left side.

I would find it surprising if there was a fuse per side. There is absolutely no corrosion on any wire/contact.

Any idea where I could look to figure this issue?
Old 03-25-2019, 12:12 PM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 341 Likes on 242 Posts
2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
The revere lights share the same harness inside the trunk lid, but I found surprisingly the light units are open in the back. Maybe remove it to verify circuit board condition?
What I did for led reverse lights:
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ngout-led.html
Old 03-25-2019, 12:18 PM

Thanks, I had only removed a few of the plastic snap to access it and not the whole interior lining.

I will check this out when I get home today. It could indeed be the split or somewhere between.

Originally Posted by Mud
The revere lights share the same harness inside the trunk lid, but I found surprisingly the light units are open in the back. Maybe remove it to verify circuit board condition?
What I did for led reverse lights:
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ngout-led.html
Old 03-26-2019, 06:45 AM

After taking a look again quickly yesterday late evening, I was able to confirm what I already knew. It isn't an issue with the light/board/bulb. I swapped the light to the right side, connected it and it was working.

I compared the voltage on different pins on the 5 pin connector going to the light enclosure om left and right side.

Pin 1(brown) to 2 shows roughly 14.8v for both side.
Pin 1 to 3 shows 0 volt on left faulty side (light blue) and 11.9v on right side (blue and green/yellowish line, hard to tell with the lack of light)
Pin 1 to 4 shows 14.8 on both side.
Pin 1 to 5 had no voltage on either side but I guess that was because brake where not applied.

I tried following the light blue wire which I think is the root of my issue. It is following the other cables in the harness and meet no connector, at least before going inside the trunk lining.

I'll try to figure where it is going when I have more time, to be able to open the trunk lining. Maybe it's going straight to thw fuse box, but I couldn't see it well enough without some disassembly.