E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Another e550 Airmatic Front Strut and Knocking/Creaking Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 04:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 E 550
Another e550 Airmatic Front Strut and Knocking/Creaking Issues

I have a 2010 e550 4mattic with about 72k miles recently purchased as is and recently there has been a knocking/creaking sound coming from the front left suspension. This is specially noticeable at very slow speeds when pulling out of the driveway, going over speed bumps and when its colder. Took it to the dealer for a diagnosis due to an air suspension malfunction and got the valve block replaced. Fixed the warning light. Below is a list of the issues and costs:

Service
[Other]: FAULT CODE FOR AIRMATIC VALVE BLOCK (INTERNAL LEAK) $888.65
Airmatic Strut left: FRONT LEFT AIRMATIC STRUT KNOCKING $2051.39
Four Wheel Alignment (Non-distronic): ALIGNMENT SERVICE $189.95
Motor mounts: RUBBER MOUNTS WORN (COLLAPSED) $2461.75
Axle Seal: LEFT INNER AXLE BOOT TORN (LEAKING GREASE) $806.20
Centrifuge Cover: LEAKING OIL $408.30
Belt Tensioner: WORN/EXCESSIVE PLAY $569.85
Sway Bar Links - Front: BUSHINGS CRACKED/LEAKING $582.68

Great!

As mentioned above I went ahead and got the valve block replaced as I was already into them for the inspection, but looking to get other priority systems replaced myself or at my local mechanic. First I went ahead and ordered the Front left and right Stabilizer Links for $53 each thinking this would eliminate much of the noise and creaking I am experiencing. Ordered Crankcase Cent Calve Kit for $70 to fix any leaking oil from the Centrifuge Cover (Easy Fix). Also ordered a CV Joint Boot Kit for $56 to fix CV Boot.

The part I am having issues with as mentioned in other posts is finding the left front strut. Called Arnott and they do not have it in-stock and are waiting on cores to rebuild. They said it could take months. Checked with O'Reilly and Autozone, their two biggest buyers and neither had any in stock. Ebay and amazon were useless too. Next options are companies that make re manufactured Genuine parts, which I am not too confident on or brand new parts that have a premium. I did refer to another post for mercedespartscenter.com who has the Front Left Strut for $857.33, but not sure if it is Genuine and if the company is any good. Any others have experience with them?

The final parts I am not addressing just yet is the Belt Tensioner and the motor mounts. Going to get second opinions on.

Any Comments or suggestions? Any idea of where I can get the Arnott Struts within the next week or so? I would prefer them or MB Genuine from what I have read.

Thanks ahead of time.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 171 Posts
2010 e550 p2
centrifuge cover is easy to replace , and the part is about 15 bucks depending on what your heart desires.
belt tensioner is also easy. and much , much cheaper than what dealer told you.
sway bar links are easy enough..
axle boot is also easy enough
the strut is where the money at..you can replace it yourself as well but it is more complicated.
obviously all these are DIY's and ive done these. you can save money if you have a basic common sense.
if not , indy shop it is.

motor mounts are the hardest.

basically everything isn't so bad at all. just gotta find time nor the MONEY.
The following users liked this post:
mb550w212 (03-29-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 07:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 E 550
I agree. The motor mounts I am not sure if I really want to tackle that. Biggest issue is actually finding the Struts at this point. I'd hate to spend $900 or more if I can get Arnott ones for closer to $600. People send in your cores to them!

BTW, if anyone finds any place that has them in stock, please PM me.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
2011 E550, 1999 E320
Arnott doesn’t refurbish w212 front air struts. They don’t offer them at all yet. The w212 front struts are a non-rebuildable item if the strut itself is bad. If the strut is good but the airbag needs refurbishing you can send yours in to a rebuilder and they will refurbish your own strut and send back to you but it’s just the air bellows that’s refurbished.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 MB E550 Sport Sedan
It is most likely the fail shock absorber in strut assembly...only Meecdes Benz remanufactures it. Arnott only replace the airbag which still leave you with bad damper. Go to mbpartscenter.com they sell original/genuine remanufactured mercedes benz strut with new shock absorber for 40% less than local dealer. You can easily replace it following "TipsN Advise" YouTube DIY video