Used Non-Warranty 2014 E63 S AMG 55K+ Miles Buying Suggestion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz 2015 C300 4Matic
Question Used Non-Warranty 2014 E63 S AMG 55K+ Miles Buying Suggestion

Hi,

I currently own a 2015 C300 Sports Sedan and i love it. However i am liking this USED 2014 E63 S AMG Certified Pre-owned with 55K+ miles (fully loaded + excellent condition) on it. This car is out of warranty.

Currently owning a mercedes i know service maintenance is expensive however i would like to know how is the maintenance cost to own an AMG?

Is it a good idea to buy a used non-warranty AMG? Are there any hidden running costs buying a used AMG which i should think of?

Can i still buy an extended warranty similar to factory warranty which covers everything and how much would that cost?

Sorry for so many questions but as a first time AMG buyer i am excited but i have my concerns too which is putting me in a hard decision on what to do!

Please advice, i appreciate your help!!

Thank you.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:40 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
W212 2015
The AMG performance models have some differences than others like; front-rear tire sizes, periodic maintenance costs. Sure that these are more expensive than normal models.

(fully loaded + excellent condition): To be sure about that it is "fully loaded" take the VIN then check https://www.datamb.com.
The following users liked this post:
mumair88 (04-03-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 07:00 AM

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic sedan
Originally Posted by mumair88
Hi,

I currently own a 2015 C300 Sports Sedan and i love it. However i am liking this USED 2014 E63 S AMG Certified Pre-owned with 55K+ miles (fully loaded + excellent condition) on it. This car is out of warranty.

Currently owning a mercedes i know service maintenance is expensive however i would like to know how is the maintenance cost to own an AMG?

Is it a good idea to buy a used non-warranty AMG? Are there any hidden running costs buying a used AMG which i should think of?

Can i still buy an extended warranty similar to factory warranty which covers everything and how much would that cost?

Sorry for so many questions but as a first time AMG buyer i am excited but i have my concerns too which is putting me in a hard decision on what to do!

Please advice, i appreciate your help!!

Thank you.
yes you can (and should) buy an extended warranty. For my new to me 2010 E350 with 41,000 miles, I recently purchased (for $3,600) a 7 year warranty (Paramount Coverage) which will take me up to 100,000 miles. I only drive 4 or 5k miles a year so this works. This is as close to bumper to bumper as you can get. I recently had be heated seat stop working and my transfer case needed to be sealed. I took the car to an MB dealer. They called the warranty company for me. The warranty company sent out an adjuster and determined that these are covered parts. Thus, they sealed the transfer case and gave me a new heating element for the seat. I only had to pay $100 deductible for a $2,200 job.

call AutoPom (949) 234-6383 or (800) 724-8141 ext 26
mumair88 (04-03-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 07:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
You said in your description it is a CPO. Is it or not?
CPO covers a lot, but not all. If it is you can also extend the CPO for an additional 2 years. I just did it on my 2014 that was purchased 2 years ago as a CPO car.
Everything is more expensive on an AMG. They are unique and powerful vehicles with great stopping power. If your bank account is low I would not go there. Price out some of the components that will need replacement, like rotors. There is nothing cheap on those cars.

Last edited by KEY08; 04-03-2019 at 10:39 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by KEY08:
mumair88 (04-03-2019), raja777m (04-04-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 09:40 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2019 Mercedes-Benz GLS
A few years back I looked at an AMG E class. At the time almost all the aftermarket warranties would only cover non-AMG Mercedes.
mumair88 (04-03-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 04:26 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
No AMG unfortunately, and we'll just leave it as that
Is the car certified pre-owned or not? CPO should come with an extended factory warranty. This is part of the reason why one will pay more for a CPO car.

Running an AMG is significantly more expensive than running its non-AMG counterpart. Prices for some stuff is typical, but for others, it's ridiculous. In your example, the engine needs 8L of 0W40 plus a fairly inexpensive oil filter for Service A/B; so this is understandable and isn't bad. Tires on the AMG are also a bit pricey and they wear quickly (assuming you continue with stock summer spec tires), but the price increase is also reasonable. Of course, with that thumping 5.5L V8 and sweet exhaust, you won't be driving it for economy, so your wallet's going to take a hit at the gas station (you're looking at <20mpg compared to a W205 at >30mpg, driven similarly); but even that is understandable.

On the other scale or things, a 2014 E63S has giant front brake rotors that cost almost $1000 each in parts alone. No pads, no labor, just the rotor. And it's the steel rotor (not the carbon-ceramic). While it is a nice two-piece rotor, so the price is somewhat understandable, I hope this datapoint gives you an indication that even routine maintenance parts can be shockingly expensive. I hate to price out non-warranty engine or transmission (special to the AMG) work. Other things specific to a E63S wagon is that it has air shocks in the back that go bad every few years, necessitating $$$ in repairs. Remember, running costs for a $110k car will not depreciate like the car.

To be honest, I had looked into buying a E63S wagon myself, and had in fact driven one for a bit (friend's car). I dearly hoped to buy one…such was its allure…but eventually gave up that idea after realizing that its running cost would be, ahem, a bit high, even assuming I didn't get a dud. At that kind of money (purchase and running costs), one may as well buy a cheap wagon/minivan/truck and a 997.2 for the weekend speed kicks. But that's just the left brain talking. If you've got the cash, and your right brain says Go, well, YOLO.

The last time I checked extended warranties, the cost for AMG vehicles are at least twice as much as its non-AMG counterpart. I remember being quoted $6k+ to extend the factory warranty for another 3 years and up to 100,000 miles for a 507 edition C63. Third party warranties will vary in price, but you usually get what you pay for.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz 2015 C300 4Matic
Thank you for detailed answer and gives me a good idea of what i am going into.

I looked the car fax and it was initially a corporate lease and CPO but then it had multiple owners and looks like not CPO anymore. The car has 6 previous owner everyone kept the car for a year and this makes me worried 6 owners maybe something is wrong with the car?

I have got cash to afford an AMG like tires, rotors, service A/B maintenance but again i am not too sure if buying a used car and something major goes wrong with engine or transmission! Just my inner fear which is making me uncomfortable now. Honestly i would rather get a pure CPO car having extended factory warranty for peace of mind.

Another factor i noticed is my car insurance for AMG will go up too which i didn't think of earlier.

I am still making up my mind but not sure at the same time. I guess i'll look around and wait for the right time and then make some decision.

Thanks again for your help and all others!