E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Running Cable Under Dash?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 04:36 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
2012 E550 Cabriolet 2011 VW Eos 1985 Pininfarina Spider
Running Cable Under Dash?

I was thinking of install a semi-permanent infra-red phone holder on the left side of the steering wheel. I have a dash cam hardwired, with the cable running from the trunk through the passenger side sill and up the A pillar. I install a USB plug in this cable, since the dash cam needed a USB. I am wanting ti install a dual USB plug and use this to run the phone holder. The issue is getting this cable from the glove box area to the other side of the steering wheel. I thought I would be able to fish it through the dash, but that does not seem to be as easy as I thought it would be. Any ideas what might be the shortest route to run a wire from the glove box to the steering wheel would be? Thanks in advance!
Old 04-08-2019, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 843 Likes on 609 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by Davery
I was thinking of install a semi-permanent infra-red phone holder on the left side of the steering wheel. I have a dash cam hardwired, with the cable running from the trunk through the passenger side sill and up the A pillar. I install a USB plug in this cable, since the dash cam needed a USB. I am wanting ti install a dual USB plug and use this to run the phone holder. The issue is getting this cable from the glove box area to the other side of the steering wheel. I thought I would be able to fish it through the dash, but that does not seem to be as easy as I thought it would be. Any ideas what might be the shortest route to run a wire from the glove box to the steering wheel would be? Thanks in advance!
I have a Passport on my left lower corner of the wind shield. Power comes from the glove box socket. I run the wire around the end of the glove box under A-pillar cover and the dropped the wire in the bottom wind shield vent gap and ran it to the other side. You can only see the last 5-6 inches of the wire where it connects to the Passport.

I was worried if the wire would cause an issue with the air flow to the wind shield but it seems not to have any effect to it and if it does it is as easy to take back out as it is to put it in.