E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Another boring E250 mileage report...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 10:59 AM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
E250 Diesel
Originally Posted by mfab
I just turned over 75K miles on my E250 4matic. Routinely do 44mpg on the highway, a little less (~41 mpg) in the winter or at higher speeds. I was keeping a book with mileage, but it was very consistent so I stopped.

I've been doing some of my own maintenance on the car:
- Fuel filter at 50K (easy) - $60
- Air filter at 25K miles (literally 5 screws) - $40
- Brake fluid at year 2 ($12)
- Add my own DEF every 15K miles or so ($12)
- I have the dealer do the oil every 5K miles - $120

I've owned the car for 3 years, and have done 25K miles per year. So far this has been among the best cars I've ever owned. Utterly boring on the highway (in a good way). Once you get up to speed the car almost never shifts out of 7th gear (uphill, acceleration, etc), so you just idle along. The car is very poised in the snow/wet.

/
I tried to change the air filter myself yesterday and utterly failed. Much to DYI shame. I can't even get the 4 or 5 clips that hold the wires around the air filter housing off. I was fiddling with it for 30 minutes and finally broke one of those and mangled another. Now I gotta take it to the mechanic fix the damage I caused. Not a big deal since they'll just stick a new one in there. I don't know how mechanics remove those things in 2 seconds on videos. (check right at 59 seconds mark)
Old 11-11-2019, 11:24 AM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
E250 GLE300d
Sorry to hear about your troubles! You actually don't need to take those wires off on a US model E250. Just the couple of bolts (metric hex if I remember correctly but I can't recall the exact mm) around the perimeter of the top of the air filter and one in the middle. Then lift the cover off with the wires still attached!

The new air filter pops in (and you secure it by pushing it in to make a firm connection). Then bolt it back up and your done. Honestly, this job is a 2 on a scale of 1-10. And it's only a 2 because one of the bolts in the back is a little awkward to reach. I recommend having the right tool (which is a long skinny metric hex, or an flex angle attachment).

Give it another try down the line. Good luck!

BTW - the fuel filter has an electrical connection too so maybe you better not try that one...! LOL

Mike
Old 11-11-2019, 11:28 AM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
E250 GLE300d
I've decided to increase the frequency of the fuel filter too. I just did it again at 30K mile increment. They are easy to change, they are relatively inexpensive and if it helps keep the engine and/or blueTEC system healthy then it's cheap insurance.

/
Old 11-11-2019, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,742 Likes on 1,389 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Unless you use some shi**y fuel, the filter last for 100k if not 200k miles. Same goes for air filter if you drive in clean states like CA, but installing filter minder will easily let you monitor your air filter.
Clog fuel filter on diesel will give you some warning, like lower performance while climbing long grade.