Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 02:01 PM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 340 Likes on 242 Posts
2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
Footwell Lighting Easy Change

Very simple change if you get bored with the footwell lighting...

When I first bought my E350 several years ago, the first thing I did was to change lighting. Low beam headlight halogens got a 35W Morimoto HID kit and all interior/trunk lights were changed to led (white) versions.

I like the ambient foot well lighting that stays on at night as you drive, but it occurred to me that it might look nicer if it matched the amber colored courtesy lighting in the doors and dash. I did want to leave the upper console and rear roof lighting white as they lit up the interior well for safety/convenience at entry and exit.

I had originally used canbus white 5-smd (5030) bulbs in the four footwell fixtures and they worked well.
I decided to change them to the same count and size SMD but in amber color. However, I guess because of the color, they were not as bright as the white led versions, a bit too dim.

So I went back and changed them for 12-smd (2835) canbus bulbs. Here's the comparison.

As you can see the 12-smd version has 6 smd's on each side so you effectively get the lighting from the 6 smd's directly onto the floor area. The 5-smd version puts the full throw of one smd and partial of 3 smd's on the floor area. Reason is that the light receptable places a face of the installed bulb parallel to the floor area, if that makes sense. There's no reflector behind so about the best light you will get is what essentially faces the floor area. I believe that the lens is open in the back to allow for heat but just a guess.

I was pleased with the level and color of the lighting. Entirely subjective of course but for me, it's a nice uniform look to the interior during night driving. Cost was about $7 for a set of 4 bulbs. I had also compared the lumen level between 5030 and 2835, the 2835 are a bit brighter as well.

This is a picture that is set up for a bit more exposure, mainly to show the general color match.

This is more of what it looks like at night. This is front footwell, the rear footwells are slightly brighter because the bulbs are closer to the floor. For me, this is just right for the front area.

There's a small amount of white from the overhead light but you get the idea. Very easy change if you are so inclined.

Edit - I forgot to mention that to remove the lens, look on one end for a small slot/indent in the lens. Insert small screwdriver and carefully push in slightly to pry out the lens. The lens just snaps back in to re-install. Be sure new bulbs work first - if they don't work one way, remove and reverse to change polarity.

Last edited by Mud; 02-04-2020 at 02:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mud:
DFWdude (05-12-2019), Ferris_E550 (05-12-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 12:09 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
2011 e550
Looks very nice.
The following users liked this post:
Mud (05-13-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 05:47 PM

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic sedan
Originally Posted by Mud
Very simple change if you get bored with the footwell lighting...

When I first bought my E350 several years ago, the first thing I did was to change lighting. Low beam headlight halogens got a 35W Morimoto HID kit and all interior/trunk lights were changed to led (white) versions.

I like the ambient foot well lighting that stays on at night as you drive, but it occurred to me that it might look nicer if it matched the amber colored courtesy lighting in the doors and dash. I did want to leave the upper console and rear roof lighting white as they lit up the interior well for safety/convenience at entry and exit.

I had originally used canbus white 5-smd (5030) bulbs in the four footwell fixtures and they worked well.
I decided to change them to the same count and size SMD but in amber color. However, I guess because of the color, they were not as bright as the white led versions, a bit too dim.

So I went back and changed them for 12-smd (2835) canbus bulbs. Here's the comparison.

As you can see the 12-smd version has 6 smd's on each side so you effectively get the lighting from the 6 smd's directly onto the floor area. The 5-smd version puts the full throw of one smd and partial of 3 smd's on the floor area. Reason is that the light receptable places a face of the installed bulb parallel to the floor area, if that makes sense. There's no reflector behind so about the best light you will get is what essentially faces the floor area. I believe that the lens is open in the back to allow for heat but just a guess.

I was pleased with the level and color of the lighting. Entirely subjective of course but for me, it's a nice uniform look to the interior during night driving. Cost was about $7 for a set of 4 bulbs.

This is a picture that is set up for a bit more exposure, mainly to show the general color match.

This is more of what it looks like at night.

There's a small amount of white from the overhead light but you get the idea. Very easy change if you are so inclined.

Edit - I forgot to mention that to remove the lens, look on one end for a small slot/indent in the lens. Insert small screwdriver and carefully push in slightly to pry out the lens. The lens just snaps back in to re-install. Be sure new bulbs work first - if they don't work one way, remove and reverse to change polarity.
I had bought the LEDs for the foot wells as well. I thought for the back it was way too bright so I put the original halogens back in. I left them in the front b/c the front is always a little brighter than the back anyway b/c of the dash lights and front windshield. However, I have always thought it just didn’t “match” with the amber led lighting in the trim. Can you send me the link where you got those bulbs from? Thanks. Also, I have a 2010 e350 and want to put LED’s in the headlight and fogs (I already put the error free LEDs in the DRL’s. Did you happen to change your fogs/headlights to LED? They are H7 and H11. I am just trying to figuring out the best LED CANbus lights to use for those.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:30 PM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 340 Likes on 242 Posts
2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
These are what I got:
Lights

My car doesn't have foglights (Sport model), has the led hockey sticks as DRL's so nothing to change there.
I did install canbus led's in the parking lights though, they are the 5-smd version as above except they are in white.They work well, helped by the large reflector in there.
No LED low beams, just the Morimoto HID kit as mentioned. High beams remained the factory halogens as I barely ever use them.

Last edited by Mud; 05-14-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-07-2023, 05:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E250 elegance CDI
Footwell lights

So I just invested in footwell t10 W5W led lights for my merc but they don’t stay on after I close the doors they only stay on if the doors open. Is it because I didn’t get the canbus ones or if anyone has the right lights for them like I saw in this forum can someone please link them for me😁. The ambient lighting is amber in the car so I’d like the same colour to match. Thanks