E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Where can I get cold air intakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550
Where can I get cold air intakes

Hi I need air filters, I’m thinking might as well get cold air intakes. But i don’t know where I can find them. Any ideas
Old 06-05-2019, 08:09 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 E550
Originally Posted by alvarop22
Hi I need air filters, I’m thinking might as well get cold air intakes. But i don’t know where I can find them. Any ideas
No cold air intakes for these vehicles. Closest thing you'll find:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...boost-kit.html
Old 06-07-2019, 04:25 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
No AMG unfortunately, and we'll just leave it as that
All W212 already have cold air intakes. Cold air intake merely means that the engine is ingesting surrounding air that's ambient temperature, instead of air from the engine compartment that's preheated by the engine. If you look at any recent Mercedes-Benz cars, the engineers already put this in. Like this pic for a W212/M278 that clearly shows two air intakes right on the foreground (behind the grille that's not visible); other engines will have different air intakes but all recent designs take the air around the same area around the top of the grille. I guess you can attempt to improve by heat-shielding the air intake pipes by wrapping Tavarish tape…

That UPD cold air induction kit definitely does not add cold air intake capability, and its claims are dubious for any non-AMG W212 – how restrictive do you believe the stock air box design to be for a non-AMG W212, when the exact same design supports a 575hp E63S? Does anyone here believe Mercedes-Benz engineers left a dozen or more of free HP on the table by not increasing the height of the airbox by 1/2"?
Old 06-07-2019, 07:00 PM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 342 Likes on 242 Posts
2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
^^well said. I think MB does a good job with it. Even on my little V6 those air inlets are right under the front edge of the hood.

I'm amazed on other cars and trucks how the "cold air intake" is actually a big heat soaked aluminum tube that dramatically increases air inlet temps. Plus the filter is usually not well isolated.

I showed my neighbor the difference looking at live scan data. Air inlet temp with stock airbox was 94 degrees. With his "performance" intake the air inlet temp was 130 degrees lol. Engine was actually pulling timing and adding fuel to compensate.